New keyless entry remote

crazy_canuck

TDI
Jetta, 1998, Black
So i bought a new remote today, and im pretty sure there was a post on here how to program the new remote to the car, but i cant find the post. If anyone knows how to do it without going to the stealership... lemme know.. thanks

oldiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
Looking for one
for your 98 Jetta to program your remote. You must have 2 keys
1 switch ignition key on and get out and close the door.
2 with the 2nd key turn the door lock to the unlock position and hold it there until you get 3 beeps from the horn.
3 Quickly press the unlock button on the remote once,if you have more than 1 remote to do they must all be done within one minute.
4 again turn the key in the door lock to the off position and hold it there until you get 1 beep (about 10 sec)
5 open the door and turn the ign key off.
It worked for me,right out of the CD manual,just did it yesterday and still had the peice of paper i had written it on handy. Don

Mr_Moe

Veteran Member
TDI
How much was the new remote?
Also where did you get it from?
Do you have a part number?

Mine is getting worn out, had to remove the panic since i was pressing it by accident while getting out of the car...

Thanks

P2B

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta, 2003 Jetta, 2003 Jetta Wagon
oldiesel said:
for your 98 Jetta to program your remote. You must have 2 keys
1 switch ignition key on and get out and close the door.
2 with the 2nd key turn the door lock to the unlock position and hold it there until you get 3 beeps from the horn.
3 Quickly press the unlock button on the remote once,if you have more than 1 remote to do they must all be done within one minute.
4 again turn the key in the door lock to the off position and hold it there until you get 1 beep (about 10 sec)
5 open the door and turn the ign key off.
It worked for me,right out of the CD manual,just did it yesterday and still had the peice of paper i had written it on handy. Don
I have 2 remotes that work with my A3 TDI and 2 more from another A3 - RIP :(

When I follow the above procedure to reprogram the 2 old remotes for my current TDI, do I have to program all 4 within one minute, or just the 2 that need reprogramming?

BudsBug

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 New Beetle (Buglet)
I am pretty sure it is all of them:( VW in their infinite wisdom learns to make more money on keys than I can believe:eek:

P2B

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta, 2003 Jetta, 2003 Jetta Wagon
P2B said:
I have 2 remotes that work with my A3 TDI and 2 more from another A3 - RIP :(

When I follow the above procedure to reprogram the 2 old remotes for my current TDI, do I have to program all 4 within one minute, or just the 2 that need reprogramming?
Turns out you do need to program them all in one session - the two originals stopped working when I just programmed the two from the other car.

My car beeped each time it programmed a remote - 1 beep for the first remote, 2 beeps for the second and so on. Also beeped 3 times when I held the key in the unlock position after programming (not once as expected)

So there was a lot of beeping and some puzzled looks from the neighbours, but now I have 4 working remotes :)