Irving Oil?

johnsTDI

Veteran Member
Canada,ont North America were Neighbours to usa
TDI
2012 Highline
Anyone here ever heard of Irving Oil? reason for asking theres a shop in my area that caries this Synthetic Oil sales guy at this shop says he can order me a 4 liter jug of irving 5w30 Synthetic for $27.00 that meets my 507.00 VW spec to use. Or i bring in my own 5 liters Jug or bucket for him to fill it. at a cost of $5.80 a Liter thats Canadian Cost if your wondering. but im hesitant to use this oil on my 2012 vw tdi since i dont know much about it.?? Cost is nice but the (million dollar Question) - is? is it as good Quality as Castrol's Edge Professional 5w30 Syn Oil that i get from my VW Dealer to use.?

http://shorelinelubricants.com/product/Advant European Full Syn infotec.pdf

Last edited:

CheapBastard

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 JSW
This is the second marine grade oil that’s vw507 approved that I’ve seen, are there vw’s in marine applications?

johnsTDI

Veteran Member
Canada,ont North America were Neighbours to usa
TDI
2012 Highline
called the owner of the shop today that caries the cheap irving oil he said he also caries total Quartz Ineo Long Life 5w30 synthetic oil that meets my 507.00 spec and that if i bring my own bucket he will pour me (5 Liters at $5.80 per liter ) i think thats a really good deal for this Oil. :)
www.lubs-products-database.total.com/gallery/ORIGINALS/visuels/23000/23446

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Selling it at half the going rate, I would have to wonder what is up. Not the real thing or just closing out some product. He would have to be losing money on it.

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
On the other hand, it might not be much markup. You'd have to remember that he's buying in a bulk container, and a lot of marketing and local markup isn't happening.

Cheers,

PH

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
I would imagine he would have to be buying multiples of drums to get down to that kind of pricing and still make a profit. Someone could easily fill a drum with whatever they want and call it what the label says with no one suspecting anything without scientific testing. When runonbeer was closing down his Austin shop he had some killer deals on a drum or two of oil. But I had no need for 40 or 50 gallons of it. Now if it is something like that where he is closing out stock to make room for new or something, then maybe. I would have to be very trusting of that person to use that oil.

FRENCHY75

TDI
MK4
I am using IRVING Advant 5w40 since about 180,000 km and now have almost 500,000 km with no issues. Oil change every 15,000km
03 VW tdi.

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
I haven't seen Irving oils down here in New Hampshire, but if the lubrication products are as good as the fuels, it should be just fine. We do have Irving fuel stations, and they sell home heating fuels (propane, in addition to the ubiquitous undyed D2 as heating oil) as well.

Cheers,

PH