VW Jetta Tdi 2000 Electrical Going Nuts

LexTDI

TDI
VW Jetta 2000
Not sure what is going on with my Vw jetta tdi 2000 but this just started today.
when I turned on my car I accidentally hit the windshield wipers lever and the following problems started:

The wipers started moving and they would not stop.

Both the turn signal lights stayed on solid.

Fog light sign stays on even when on off position.

signal headlights are on and wont turn off.

I powered the car completely off (key off ignition) and I can still see the

blinker lights solid green on and the wipers randomly moving.

I used a generic code reader and found nothing.

This is what my dash looks like :

Not sure where to start on troubleshooting this but any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
check your grounds, i had a similar issue, the wire harness on the head of my AHU was not grounded, fixed it, fixed the issue, not sure about yours but a sudden issue like that seems to be relay or grounded issue, something is grounding out or is no longer grounded and longing the circuits, opposite of a short

LexTDI

TDI
VW Jetta 2000
check your grounds, i had a similar issue, the wire harness on the head of my AHU was not grounded, fixed it, fixed the issue, not sure about yours but a sudden issue like that seems to be relay or grounded issue, something is grounding out or is no longer grounded and longing the circuits, opposite of a short
I think I did but I also noticed that even if I remove the fuse for the wipers, they still seem to wipe!

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Christmas Eve my wipers came on for no apparent reason. At first I thought I had touched the wiper lever, but I confirmed it was off. The wipers were just a random double swipe to start with, after a few minutes they ran continuously. I had to pull the fuse to stop them.

I thought I had a short in my rear hatch, and I did have 3 bare wires which I fixed. That seemed to solve the problem for about a week and it started all over again. Turns out I had to replace the wiper stalk, that fixed the problem. You may have to replace both stalks since you have light problems also.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
yes, this is known as a long, the opposite of a short. the other side of the fuse is getting power as in the grounding is getting feed back +12v.
You got a multimeter? if you dont, get one and learn how to use it, Start in your fuse box, your looking for the other side of the fuse that is not connected to the battery, by disconnecting the battery, its a long and boring prosses to track down a issue like this but you can do it.
First step is to measure the ohms between the + and - terminals not connected to the battery.