DPF cleaning

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat Wagon (chainless + 5 MT + GDE tune)
I would disagree with that. A few hard pulls once a week will not do anything to the soot buildup. It needs to do a complete regen when called for. A full regen takes 10 to 15 minutes at temperature (1100F +/-). You think 30 or so seconds of momentary heat will do the same? I think not.
How about approximately 60 Km (40 miles more or less) at RPMs between 3,000 and 4,000 downshifting to 3rd or 4th gear and going highway speeds (around 65 MPH maybe)?

Of course do this after properly warming up the engine before.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Seems to me it would just be easier to find out when the regen wants to happen and then just let it do it as it is supposed to. I don't find it particularly desirable to drive around for 40 miles or so at 4k rpms trying for a passive regen which isn't as effective as an active one. But that is just me. Others want to try additives, all kinds of driving routines, etc...

I just know mine happen about every 220 miles or so. When I get close to 200 miles I check my phone and the app to see where everything is. I adjust my drive to try and coincide with a regen. Not very hard or time consuming. Sometimes it already happened and I am good.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Seems I may have led you down a dead end. He says he isn't supporting the app any more on his site. I would try the torque app and see what that can do for you. I may also be going that route as last time I tried mine it didn't connect. Haven't researched why yet. Mine isn't listed as a supported engine either but it still worked. I will investigate. Too bad it is dead.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Well I rebooted the OBDII device and it is working again. Seems to support CVCA as it shows that engine type in the display. Can't remember if I chose that or it did it automatically.

Rk2012tdi

TDI
2012 Sportwagen
So you rebooted the plug in adapter (OBDLink)? How did you accomplish that? Just unplug it? Looked at the torque app, not much on VW dpf info. Will keep looking. I looked at the VAG DPF app again and didn't see your engine listed, maybe I will get lucky with a reboot.

KERMA

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
99 beetle and 04 jetta
Apps like VagDPF and Torque utilize the universally available diagnostic data and arrange it in a user-friendly display. Even if your car is "not supported" there will be usefulness because it uses data that is required to be made available for use by "code scanners" so to speak in all cars since 1996. That's the simplest way I can think to dumb it down and type it quickly for a quick off the cuff forum post for general consumption. IOW the data is there and the apps use it and have it available and you can see it, even if the "specific" car is not explicitly listed as "supported". just have to think a "little" outside the box is all.

The car selection in vagdpf only selects different combinations of these universally available parameters to display. For example, some cars do not have LP EGR, but you may or may not care about that anyway. it's not a hard and fast "My car won't work if I don't see it in the list" kind of thing. It's simply a matter of selecting the combination of things you want to see displayed.

For the VagDPF app, just choose the option to let the app choose your car or automatic parameters selection or the similar option. (don't have it in front of me and can't remember the exact words used for the options, just look for "something like that") Or else scroll through the different cars, trying each in turn, until you find a combination of displayed parameters that you like, simple as that.