Heater Core Question

d2freeman

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
For those who have changed the heater core themselves, how did you get to the hoses on the firewall and what type of bolt is between the hoses?

Thanks

BKmetz

Administrator, Member #10
Staff member
TDI
2015 Passat, titanium beige, 6MT
Don't touch anything on the firewall. Everything is accessed from inside the car.

The heater core is in the center console. On the driver's side remove the plastic cover under the dash and the side panel from the console. There is a plastic housing that the heater core is behind. You should see the two coolant lines.You disconnect the coolant lines from the heater core at the center console.

Good luck.

:)

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
all should be under the extended warranty

d2freeman

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
jrm, I am over 200k so no warranty for me.

BKmetz, so you were able to separate the lines without loosing the bolt that holds the pipes coming from the engine bay? By the heater core it looks like they overlap by maybe an inch.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Remove the quick couplings from the heater core pipes at the firewall, and drain as much coolant out as you can, then to avoid a mess inside the car, blow compressed air through one side and push the rest out... make the mess under the hood where it is easily rinsed away. Do not have your mouth open and staring at the pipes when you push compressed air through them, or you will get blasted. :p

Then, loosen the screw down between those two pipes. Loosen, do not remove it. This allows the pipes inside the car to wiggle around a bit so you can get the core out.

You'll still dribble a little coolant inside the car, have a towel laid down. But it won't be much.

There are o-rings on the connection tubes at the core inside, replace those if they look damaged.

d2freeman

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
oilhammer, so what kind of bolt is between the hoses?
I only have one car so I need to make sure I have everything before taking anything apart. I saw a youtube video that shows a standard hex head bolt, but the manual says it is a 6mm "inner hex bolt" and I take that as a socket head bolt.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Allen or Torx. I have a full complement of tools, I just grab whatever one fits. Pretty sure it is a 5mm Allen, but cannot say 100%.

Sorry I can't be of any more help. :(