Looking for a Turbo Actuator for a BEW engine w/stock Borg Warner kp39 Turbo

dp653

TDI
2005 Jetta wagon, automatic, BEW / 2010 Jetta wagon 6 spd, manual
Long story short, my 2005 TDI Jetta wagon has needed a bit more babying since I bought it in June than I'd like to put into a car right away but, I really love it and know that it's a solid vehicle it's just... about that time in it's life (177k miles) some bigger problems start to surface. Or so that is what I am telling myself.

The Borg Warner Actuator that comes stock with my vehicle is not sold separately. If anyone knows of where I might be able to find a used one in good condition I would look like this guy -> :D for weeks.

Sorry for the double post between here and the private parts for sale forum. Can't seem to figure out how to delete this thread. Oops

Last edited:

Matt-98AHU

Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI, 2005 Passat wagon, 2004 Touareg V10.
Quote from the idparts product description:
"Please note that this WILL NOT FIT the Borg Warner KP39 Turbo that's OE on the BEW engine, or the BRM turbo."
It will fit... with some modifications. I've done it before. Not that fun.

It involved removing the Garrett-style adjuster from the new actuator rod, then using a coupler nut and two jamb nuts along with a threaded rod (all 6mm x 1.00) to extend the actuator rod. Then two more jamb nuts to tighten against the VNT lever on the turbo.

Then take the old actuator and bracket out and drill out the spot welds holding the actuator to its bracket. Drill new holes as needed to line up with the two studs on the Garrett actuator, use two nuts to fasten it to the bracket. Install assembly on turbo and use your a mityvac to adjust the actuator as needed...

I've done it before with good results. It also takes almost as much time as it would to just replace the whole damn turbo :p

dp653

TDI
2005 Jetta wagon, automatic, BEW / 2010 Jetta wagon 6 spd, manual
It will fit... with some modifications. I've done it before. Not that fun.

I've done it before with good results. It also takes almost as much time as it would to just replace the whole damn turbo :p

This is what I've heard, if I knew how to do it myself I'd do it for the cost savings alas, I do not. Thank you for the response!