real meaningful JSW cargo dimensions

cptmox

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Jetta GLS, Silver 5-spd
OK, so the JSW has 66.9 cubic feet of storage space with the rear seats folded...so what? What does that really mean? I haven't completely cubed out a vehicle since I was a college kid trying to stuff everything I owned into my car. I'm looking for some more real world cargo stats.

What is the max. length of 2x4 the JSW can swallow; like not having the hatch open, sticking out a window, or encroaching in between the front seat and resting on the dashboard against the windshield.
What's the largest size sheet of plywood that will fit inside? Again with the hatch closed.

richard_rsp

TDI
2010 Sportwagen TDI
not sure about plywood, but we bought our JSW for the reason of being able to sleep in it when camping.

I am 5' 10" (190lbs) and with my feet at the hatch (closed), my head wont touch the headrest with the seat folded. My fiance and I can both fit comfortably...

Dont know if that helps any, but figured it could help you visualize a little.

Last edited:

OldManWinter

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf Wagon 2010
I had some drywall in the car, I had it cut in half lengthwise and I got all 8' inside with the hatch closed, but it was into the front seat. My guess would be about 6'x39" is your max size.

I was moving some furniture yesterday so I can measure since I already have the seats down. I'll update when I get home.

AlcoC420

Veteran Member
TDI
In my calculations, it's not the Cubic Feet of luggage capacity that matters -- it's Square Feet on the floor. SUVs always win the Cubic Feet contest in brochures because their cabins are tall, but stacking luggage to the ceiling is unsafe.

The JSW shines in the practical value of Square Feet, which doesn't appear in brochures. We are able to put significantly more luggage in our JSW than our former SUV because the JSW has more floor space. Stop by the Dealer with a tape measure cptmox and you'll see.

Now as for plywood, well, that's why I drive a pickup .....

Cooper

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW (traded in 5/2015)
My 2003 A4 Avant had 61 ct. ft. storage. The difference between 61 and 67 cu. ft. is significant: over 10 1/2 30 pack cases of beer.

We packed the car for a week on the the Outer Banks: large cooler of food, other food, suitcase, lots of other stuff ... and even were able to get two bikes in the back and not block the rear view mirror at all!

OldManWinter

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf Wagon 2010
Ok I went out and measured. These are the dimesions of the largest box you'll be able to fit with the seats down and hatch closed.

65" x 39" (Floor space) x 29" height

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
Now, if they'd only go back to a square rather than a sloped roof on the wagons... (I still miss my Type-IV... at least during the spring and autumn, what with the solar and wind-power 2-season-out-of-phase climate control system...)

Yuri

Last edited:

axnels2

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 jetta sportswagen
I routinely transported base molding for my new house for about 3 months in that car. They were 8 ft lengths. I had them resting on the armrest in the front seat. I have also moved some plywood and shelfs that were cut into 3ft and 4 ft wide chunks and the proved to be no problem. I tipically have more issues with height of the cargo area vs width or length.

TwoTone

Veteran Member
TDI
05.5 Jetta (sold)
Now, if they'd only go back to a square rather than a sloped roof on the wagons... (I still miss my Type-IV... at least during the spring and autumn, what with the solar and wind-power 2-season-out-of-phase climate control system...)

Yuri
I've been waiting for manufacturers to clue in again. The sloped rear loses so much space, if you need to fit something that's tall in.

JRSYJET

TDI
13 Passat TDI SE 6M
richard rsp: I'm about the same height, and bought for the 'sleep option' as well. Thanks for your post. -'JET

EricVA

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Sportwagen
You might enjoy this thread that shows a real life application of all the cargo capacity in the cavernous JSW. It rivals my 2002 Isuzu Trooper aside from height and the JSW actually trumps the Trooper in length due to the way its seats fold flat vs. fold and tumble on the Trooper.

Lots of good pics in my thread.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=274562

cardog

TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen
A volvo 850 wagon looks so much bigegr yet has virtually the same Cu/ft. The opening on my Jetta has hindered me from geting some items in, (small furniture) that should have fit. I probably wouldn't have that issue with an old Volvo 850.

lonniegenix

TDI
Sportwagen TDI
I probably wouldn't have that issue with an old Volvo 850.
Agreed. I think the stats say that the JSW has .5 ft3 less than a V70... but the openings are a major pinch point.. I used to put a 4x4' portfolio in the V70 at an angle, and the same piece wouldn't fit any way I tried.

Havent tried to put my longboard inside yet... but a 107" roll of seamless paper (in in the roll) sits on the dash at an angle with a few inches to spare.

Plywood... that goes on the roof rack.

Last Mango

TDI
2012 TDI DSG Sportwagen - Navigation, Panoramic sunroof
How many cases of beer can we load in the JSW before giving up and drinking them?

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI DSG Matalic Grey
Ok I went out and measured. These are the dimesions of the largest box you'll be able to fit with the seats down and hatch closed.

65" x 39" (Floor space) x 29" height
That is only 42 cubic feet... very conservative dimensions. The cargo compartment is much larger in volume.

I was able to get 4 new tires and the rims in seperate boxes easily.... The key is the floor is FLAT from the door sill to
the front seats (or back bottoms folded up). Is it a truck or SUV. No! It is awsome usable space. Also there is a cargo
tray under the back floor, above the spare.... I cary a lot of stuff there when needed. Also there are two side
compartments and also side wells.

Loading in four tires and four rims

All four tires and rims, not even trying.

The only down side is you have to find room for the cargo cover. The headrests, cargo blocks
and sun shade also have to go somewhere, but it's not to hard to find space on back seat floor.
If you know you are going to cary something, leave all the stuff below at home.

Last edited: