Golf GL TDI order

JMD

Veteran Member
TDI
GL, 2001, indigo
In mid January, I ordered a Golf GL TDI from the local dealer. This dealership, which possessed, let us kindly say, a less than sterling reputation, had just come under new ownership and for that reason, perhaps, I received a very reasonable deal. It has been over two months now and I have yet to be informed of the car's expected delivery month (much less the approximate date). After reading this forum, I didn't necessarily expect to be driving the car by now. I presumed a 2-4 month wait. But I am surprised at the lack of information about a general timetable. I mean, what is the big deal? I order the car and VW puts me on some recipient list which is correlated with the production schedule of the car I ordered. It doesn't seem that hard. When I asked the sales manager for some info, he told me he would do the best he could to get some info from the sales rep. I must be missing something here. What is a reasonable wait for an order? Why is information so difficult to come by? Is this specific to the dealer with whom I placed the order or is this just another example of VWOA's perpetual drowsiness when it comes to customer satisfaction?

justme

Veteran Member
Miller, right? Did you give them any money? If so can you get it back?

I'd give a call to Mike Downes at Mountainview VW in Keene (where I just bought my TDI Golf) or email Kelly at Walker in Montpelier (mazdavw@worldnet.att.net) and see if they can find you a car. They both seem to be straightforward people (I went with Mike at MTNview on account of he was able to find the color I wanted). Let Miller know you're doing this.
I've heard that lots of Miller's VW sales are going to Walker (and I heard this from Mountainview). Both of the other dealers may have more clout in terms of getting a car from VW or trading with other dealers.

Good luck!

eurovw

TDI
Golf 2001Reflex Silver
Your dealer should be able to tell you the status of your car. I received a call from mine the other day advising me that my 'order'(in the VW sense) had moved from "received by factory" or something like that, to "confirmed for production". The last time I was in, they showed me how each order number could be tracked, and the respective status determined. If I recall, my car had gone from 'C' to 'D' status. I placed this order in early January, and was told that it wouldn't be here until May or June.

If your dealer can't show you the status, I'd find another dealer.

JMD

Veteran Member
TDI
GL, 2001, indigo
Justme-
It was Miller. I did give them a minimal deposit (1,000). Since I am very satisfied with the deal I got and since I was prepared for a 4 month wait, I am not close to asking for the deposit back. I am pressing a little harder for a general timetable, though. Thanks for the info on the other dealers in area. I hope I won't have to use it!

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by justme:
Miller, right? Did you give them any money? If so can you get it back?

I'd give a call to Mike Downes at Mountainview VW in Keene (where I just bought my TDI Golf) or email Kelly at Walker in Montpelier (mazdavw@worldnet.att.net) and see if they can find you a car. They both seem to be straightforward people (I went with Mike at MTNview on account of he was able to find the color I wanted). Let Miller know you're doing this.
I've heard that lots of Miller's VW sales are going to Walker (and I heard this from Mountainview). Both of the other dealers may have more clout in terms of getting a car from VW or trading with other dealers.

Good luck!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

JMD

Veteran Member
TDI
GL, 2001, indigo
Eurovw-
Thanks for the details on the ordering process. I just received a message from the sales manager at my dealership giving June as the expected delivery month. It is a little longer than I expected but I can certainly live with it if that is, in fact, when the car is delivered.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by eurovw:
Your dealer should be able to tell you the status of your car. I received a call from mine the other day advising me that my 'order'(in the VW sense) had moved from "received by factory" or something like that, to "confirmed for production". The last time I was in, they showed me how each order number could be tracked, and the respective status determined. If I recall, my car had gone from 'C' to 'D' status. I placed this order in early January, and was told that it wouldn't be here until May or June.

If your dealer can't show you the status, I'd find another dealer.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

JMD

Veteran Member
TDI
GL, 2001, indigo
Hey, Justme-
Do you have any recommendations for diesel fuel? Have you found a source of premium diesel in the area?

justme

Veteran Member
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JMD:
Hey, Justme-
Do you have any recommendations for diesel fuel? Have you found a source of premium diesel in the area?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, unfortunately. Since I started reading this forum obsessively a few weeks ago I've only refueled once. Call me a very newly reformed "cheaper is better" fuel buyer -- that had been my style for the last 20 years of diesel VW driving. Of course it didn't matter much with the old 80s diesels.

Out of more or less pure luck I started using Power Service additive in '96 when we got the TDI Passat. I had no idea that I had stumbled upon the one true correct additive.

I did notice that big truck stop heading north on 91 advertises Premium Diesel. I filled up there in January and saw that. I only get up that way about twice a year or so though.I can't even remember which exit it is -- it's a huge truck stop with a restaurant, I think its name is initials, "HC's" or "HR's" or something, north of Fairlee somewhere.

Other than that there's Texaco in WRJ, Citgo in Lebanon, Harry's Truck stop in Leb (across from Miller)., and Evans Exxon (not Exxon diesel). I've never noticed trouble from any of that fuel. I do tend to avoid Orrin's in W. Leb, as there is something of a rotgut vibe to the diesel pump, and I did have gelling with that fuel waaaay back in the late 80's. It does tend to be cheap though.

I'll start checking around as I fill up. Let me know if you find anything too.

POM

Veteran Member
Unless something has changed, you cannot order any VW. Basically, you tell the dealer what you want, and if you have a good dealer, they'll search around for the one that you want, if not available, they'll keep a look out for one like your's to be produced. Again, all I've ever heard is that VW DOES NOT accept orders for any of their cars. Anyone know if this has changed?

JMD

Veteran Member
TDI
GL, 2001, indigo
Justme- I will keep my eyes open, but it doesn't seem as though there are lots of choices around here. I will definitely be using an additive, either Power Service or Stanadyne. I haven't decided yet. I guess VW is now recommending Stanadyne.....Maybe that is a reason to go with Power Service?

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by justme:
No, unfortunately. Since I started reading this forum obsessively a few weeks ago I've only refueled once. Call me a very newly reformed "cheaper is better" fuel buyer -- that had been my style for the last 20 years of diesel VW driving. Of course it didn't matter much with the old 80s diesels.

Out of more or less pure luck I started using Power Service additive in '96 when we got the TDI Passat. I had no idea that I had stumbled upon the one true correct additive.

I did notice that big truck stop heading north on 91 advertises Premium Diesel. I filled up there in January and saw that. I only get up that way about twice a year or so though.I can't even remember which exit it is -- it's a huge truck stop with a restaurant, I think its name is initials, "HC's" or "HR's" or something, north of Fairlee somewhere.

Other than that there's Texaco in WRJ, Citgo in Lebanon, Harry's Truck stop in Leb (across from Miller)., and Evans Exxon (not Exxon diesel). I've never noticed trouble from any of that fuel. I do tend to avoid Orrin's in W. Leb, as there is something of a rotgut vibe to the diesel pump, and I did have gelling with that fuel waaaay back in the late 80's. It does tend to be cheap though.

I'll start checking around as I fill up. Let me know if you find anything too.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

JMD

Veteran Member
TDI
GL, 2001, indigo
POM- That is an interesting point. The dealership had no problem accepting an order and a deposit but maybe they are so reticent to discuss a delivery date because it is all about "hand washes hand" and "influence" and "volume" and "what have you done for me lately." That would be so VW'ey.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by POM:
Unless something has changed, you cannot order any VW. Basically, you tell the dealer what you want, and if you have a good dealer, they'll search around for the one that you want, if not available, they'll keep a look out for one like your's to be produced. Again, all I've ever heard is that VW DOES NOT accept orders for any of their cars. Anyone know if this has changed?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

justme

Veteran Member
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JMD:
POM- ... "hand washes hand" and "influence" and "volume" and "what have you done for me lately." That would be so VW'ey.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If that's the case, you may be in trouble. The guy at Mountainview VW who sold me the Golf said that Miller sells about 1/3 of the VWs they would be expected to sell in this area (and have you ever been anywhere else where you see so many VWs driving around? I never have). Walker, in Montpelier, on the other hand, sells over 300% of what they would be expected to sell (and they get Wolfsburg recognition from VW for it and other things).

Despite my bashing of Miller, I do hope they survive as a VW dealership, or (hopefully) sell the franchise. It sure would be a drag not to have any VW dealer, even Miller, in the upper valley.

POM

Veteran Member
I'm surprised no one else has confirmed my comments about ordering. When I bought my TDI(s) (one in Dec 98, the other in Nov 99) "ordering" was a frequently discussed topic here--perhaps because it was even harder to get a TDI back then. I'm absolutely certain that at that point no one could order any VW vehicle. You got to choose from what was being made and if your dealer was resourceful and lucky, one to your specification could be found, but definitely not made specially for you. I've never heard that this system changed, and really, I doubt that it did. Many dealers accept "orders" but don't really tell you that you the only thing you've "ordered" was to have the dealer search as far and wide as possible to find the VW that you've "ordered", and if not found, to wait and keep looking as new lists of VW's in production come in. Lazy dealers often seem to sit waiting for your "specifications" to randomly come in--and if you wait for that, it could be a long, long time. The general recommendation in past years was to call far and wide (as far and wide as you'd be willing to drive to pick up your beetle). If you expand your search with phone calls to dealers in your state and surrounding states, I'd bet you could find something pretty close to what you want without waiting. Of course, there's no guarantee as to what kind of deal you'll get. BTW, $1000 deposit seems more than "the going rate".

I'm getting kind of long winded here, but let me summarize what I did to get the cars I wanted. I was living in Portland, OR. In Dec 98, I called all the dealers in OR, (about 6), then ID, WA, NV. No one had a beetle TDI, or if they did, they were asking more than MSRP, which I wouldn't pay. I then started calling some of the CA dealers, and lo and behold--a San Francisco dealer had what I wanted for $500 under MSRP, which offset the $600 to ship it by covered truck. I gave him a $500 credit card deposit to hold the car while all the paperwork was done (all by mail). The second time I got a car in Nov 99 (I just had to have one with the newly available leather and sunroof--call me crazy) I did the same thing. No one in Portland had one. I expanded to Seattle and found one exactly as I wanted. Put a $500 deposit on credit card over the phone, drove up there and bought it and drove it home. You can wait if you like, but I'm not that patient. Good luck! The wait is worth it.

justme

Veteran Member
Yes, it's about what I did, right here in JMD's area. I had to drive about 60 miles for the car, but was very happy with the dealer I bought it from. I think that Mountainview, Walker, and Kinney all can provide a good experience. I called everyone in NH, VT, and some on northern Mass. I found an inverse relationship between ability to get a great deal and how likely the dealer was to actually get a car soon. I struck a nice medium though. Though we didn't "need" the car right away (the old '91 Passat is still running strong), we needed to do this before June to cash in our $2,300 worth of VW points before they expired. So I pushed it through now while I was sure I could find a car. It might have been better to wait a bit longer and find a car with a cold weather package. When I bought it I didn't think that was important, but in subsequent reading I wish we had got it.

POM

Veteran Member
One more thing I noticed. It shouldn't be that awfully difficult to find a Golf GL TDI to match your specifications--the only option is Automatic and which color. It was a little more difficult for the Beetle as I wanted each with a certain color and only certain options and wouldn't accept it any other way. For you, it's just waiting for the right color. Just call around.

JMD

Veteran Member
TDI
GL, 2001, indigo
Justme and POM-
In December and early January, I did call or email many of the VW dealerships in New England to see if I could locate the Golf GL TDI that I wanted. I know this might be hard for you guys to believe, but everyone said they would have to order what I requested, maybe because it was so unexciting (standard transmission, Indigo blue, gray cloth). I offered to be somewhat flexible on the color but was told it didn't matter, that there weren't any available and the car would have to be ordered. That being the case, I just took the best deal available to me, not realizing that there might be an inverse relationship between the desirability of the price and the likelihood of delivery. Since I expected to wait around 4 months for the car anyway, I am inclined (by inertia and an unwillingness to go car shopping again) to let a reasonable time pass before I request return of my deposit and....ugh.....repeat the whole tedious process again....I am starting to not have a good feeling about this, though.

TDI Envy

Veteran Member
You might have a long wait. Even though you think you made boring choices, the gray interior is a killer. Most Indigos are black cloth as are most colours, in fact.

That doesn't leave you with much room to find something. BTW, don't waffle too long. Next years models will be coming off the line in May and you might get shafted.

justme

Veteran Member
I saw some GL TDI Golfs out there, but I don't think they were blue.

Hope it works out for you!

A trick a friend of mine used (also in Hanover) to find his TDI Golf was to use priceline.com He wanted an exact car, and he looked everywhere for several months. He signed up on priceline.com, and they found his exact car within 24 hours.

JMD

Veteran Member
TDI
GL, 2001, indigo
Gee, I didn't think I was waffling. I mean, I ordered the freaking car in mid January. If there is any waffling going on here, it is on the part of VW!
....Hmmm, I wonder if VW is contractually obligated to provide me with a 2001 since they accepted my deposit? Does the "order" constitute a legal contract which can be dissolved only with the agreement of both parties?

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TDI Envy:
You might have a long wait. Even though you think you made boring choices, the gray interior is a killer. Most Indigos are black cloth as are most colours, in fact.

That doesn't leave you with much room to find something. BTW, don't waffle too long. Next years models will be coming off the line in May and you might get shafted.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

terbonium

Hi I am a new member. I am also a VW owner I think. I have been looking for a vw GL golf silver for two months. Finally I got a response from a dealer saying they had one there,but to hurry because 15 other people were looking too. The next day I went down there with a check and it was gone. Talked to a salesman he said I will be right back. 20 min later he comes back and says I have found the car u want,it's on the ship and it should be here in a month. I said oK were do I sign. It's only been two weeks, but I am wondering if I will ever see this car? Am i just lucky or is this guy yanken my chain?

kato258

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Golf GL, A/T, flash red; 04 Jetta GL, A/T, wheat beige; 06 Golf GLS, A/T, blue anthracite
Unless you have a VIN number, the car is still up for grabs. Even when you order one from the factory, there's no guarantee. The dealer puts in your order and the plant tells them roughly when the campaign for that model/color will be run. However you aren't in the clear until you have a VIN assigned.

TDI Envy

Veteran Member
The waffling I was referring to was whether you were going to poll other dealers and go so far as pull your order out of this dealer's hands.
TDI's are hot. As such, waiting isn't a real good option. Searching yourself will probably lead to more positive results than what you're receiving now.

BTW, even if you get a new model, it seems that VW (or it's dealers) don't seem too obligated to give it to you at the signed on price. Trust me, I know! And if you don't have a VIN, you don't have a car. Ignore the sales droid. They're lying!

msaeger

Veteran Member
to find mine I went to the vw website dealer locater, put in my zip code with 1000 mile radius then started calling them all until I found one

NYTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
1999.5 Golf TDI AUTOMATIC trans. GLS w/PLX package silver/black cloth
"sing me another verse just like the other verse"

June '99 called 80 dealers in 7 states to find exacly what I wanted, in the end I had 2 dealers competing for my business w/ 2 identical silver Golf TDI GLS w/PLX and auto(on the ground at the dealership). Also had a dealer willing to give away a nasty chartrusey colored one (barf), went so far as lowering the price to eliminate his holdback profit. Got $1800 off sticker (on the silver).

Some suggestions: I always asked for the sales MANAGER, told him exactly what I wanted (a few times they asked what dealership I was calling from, thought I was looking to swap out a car). Told them what I was willing to pay. If the stories started I asked them if they wanted to sell me a car TODAY or locate one ON THE GROUND and get back to me ASAP, some didn't, most said they would get back to me and a lot did but usually with one or the other option or color missing.

Dealers in more economically depressed areas were scrambling to find what I wanted they were just hungrier, plain and simple.

It pays to call around, VW dealers have a ugly little secret
they HIDE inventory from each other like a cheater at a poker table w/cards up his sleave. I gave 2 VIN's to the sales manager of my closest dealership to test out my theory (he kept denying, I said put up or shut up). He found one but the other wasn't listed as being at any dealership or pier/holding lot or as a build order. They were a 1.8T Beatle and a TDI, guess which one "didn't exist" ??

If the full inventory was on the dealer computers why would some of the sales managers I called have thought I was calling from another dealership to locate a particular car. If everything was on my computer I (as a salesman) would just call and ask if they wanted to swap out VIN# so & so.

I say beat the bushes, the car you want is out there, tell them to save the stories and add a notch to the sales numbers for the month.

BTW it took 2.5 days to make the calls had the car in hand about 8 days later.

justme

Veteran Member
Interesting question. VW didn't accept it though, the dealer did. The dealer represents VW, but is an independent entity in many ways. People here have "ordered" cars through dealers and gotten them, whether it's an offical VW practice or not.

justme

Veteran Member
There's a new thread on www.vwvortex in the TDI Forum called, "Gave up waiting for my TDI to come in..."
The person had waited 9 months, ordered a very specific color/feature combination, including leather.
The dealer should really admit that they can't get the factory to build the car you want, if it's the way it goes.

JMD

Veteran Member
TDI
GL, 2001, indigo
Justme- I called VWOA and it does seem as though "ordering" a VW from a dealer is, as POM suggested, more like "mixing and matching" than ordering. They offered to call the dealership for me but I declined, saying that perhaps I would take them up on their offer at a later time. My current strategy is to give the sales manager another month or so to see if he can come up with a VIN for me or at least give me some info about a delivery date.......Oh, well, I guess I can always get a Honda if it comes to that. BLAH!

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by justme:
There's a new thread on www.vwvortex in the TDI Forum called, "Gave up waiting for my TDI to come in..."
The person had waited 9 months, ordered a very specific color/feature combination, including leather.
The dealer should really admit that they can't get the factory to build the car you want, if it's the way it goes.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

[ March 27, 2001: Message edited by: JMD ]

msaeger

Veteran Member
NYTDI you are right about hiding the inventory

the dealer I bought the car from did a dealer search and couldn't find one but I found one by calling the dealers directly then I had it transferd to the one I was working with already

I didn't get a deal on it just list price

brads

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI 6sp W/Euro GTD-LED tails Neuspeed flash + VCDS Mods
We live in modern times, internet, satellite,, digital phones,, laser surgery, penile implants,
Why can't the fricken dealer tell me what color the damn interior is inside the car they have on order, they have a VIN, they have an exterior color, they know it's a GLS, but they don't have a facking clue what the interior color is?,, whats up with that sheeot!! I hate dealers ,, we should put em all on some island somewhere and letem' BF each other to death... sorry for the swearing!, but i'm upset...

[ March 27, 2001: Message edited by: brads ]

Crazy Cat Lady

Veteran Member
JMD, any more time that you give the dealer is just a waste of YOUR time. Like your dealer, the dealer for my first "order" never had any real info. They jerked me around until I called them liars.

For my second "order", I went through a dealer with an excellent reputation (Phil Teves @ Scott VW in RI). I got a scheduled build date after ~1 month. 6 months later, I got the car.

I was very particular about what I wanted. If you're not, start looking elsewhere now.

SILVER STREAK

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by NYTDI:
"sing me another verse just like the other verse"

June '99 called 80 dealers in 7 states to find exacly what I wanted, in the end I had 2 dealers competing for my business w/ 2 identical silver Golf TDI GLS w/PLX and auto(on the ground at the dealership). Also had a dealer willing to give away a nasty chartrusey colored one (barf), went so far as lowering the price to eliminate his holdback profit. Got $1800 off sticker (on the silver).

Some suggestions: I always asked for the sales MANAGER, told him exactly what I wanted (a few times they asked what dealership I was calling from, thought I was looking to swap out a car). Told them what I was willing to pay. If the stories started I asked them if they wanted to sell me a car TODAY or locate one ON THE GROUND and get back to me ASAP, some didn't, most said they would get back to me and a lot did but usually with one or the other option or color missing.

Dealers in more economically depressed areas were scrambling to find what I wanted they were just hungrier, plain and simple.

It pays to call around, VW dealers have a ugly little secret
they HIDE inventory from each other like a cheater at a poker table w/cards up his sleave. I gave 2 VIN's to the sales manager of my closest dealership to test out my theory (he kept denying, I said put up or shut up). He found one but the other wasn't listed as being at any dealership or pier/holding lot or as a build order. They were a 1.8T Beatle and a TDI, guess which one "didn't exist" ??

If the full inventory was on the dealer computers why would some of the sales managers I called have thought I was calling from another dealership to locate a particular car. If everything was on my computer I (as a salesman) would just call and ask if they wanted to swap out VIN# so & so.

I say beat the bushes, the car you want is out there, tell them to save the stories and add a notch to the sales numbers for the month.

BTW it took 2.5 days to make the calls had the car in hand about 8 days later.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>" What language is that song in?" How did you register a new TDI in New York State?