Diagnosing Faulty or Failing Injector

Fastbird

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL, 2015 Sportwagen SEL
Drove my car for some errands a few days ago and it scared the crap out of me. Had this HORRIBLE metallic thumping/clanging sound when I put a slight load on the motor that would go away if I unloaded it. Some quick research pointed me to a couple of threads and vids on here that were the exact same, and in all cases ended up being a failing or totally faulty injector.

Mine has been random, and COLD mornings only. My usual drive I've heard it before but not nearly as pronounced because going to and coming home from work, I'm right on the highway, easy loading on the motor.

I want to get it in to the dealer for service but need to go in armed. I have VCDS. Is there any way to diagnose which injector is failing and get some hard data to show it, other than waiting for a code to pop up?

ekiM

TDI
2012 Passat
Sounds just like our '12... really pronounced "nailing" sound when cold. Look at measuring block 13. Focus on any squirters that are adapting beyond +/-2.99. Our dealer fixed it, even with my diagnosis they did a couple days worth of troubleshooting (drained tank, replaced fuel filter...).

Fastbird

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL, 2015 Sportwagen SEL
Figured I'd update this. Haven't put VCDS and checked anything myself, but my dealer had it a couple of days and of all things, gave me a CND (Could Not Duplicate). So when I picked it up, it was chilly (this was in Feb) and the Warranty Manager said to take the tech on a ride real quick. I did and and the first thing I start getting asked is how long I've had the car (apparently they think I just got it and am trying to get a freebie fix, even though they've serviced the car since I purchased it). I told him 2.5 years, and then he went down the "well the fix causes it to be louder" road and I again corrected him in that I KNOW what my car sounds like, and this isn't something it's done before. Then I got the car to do it, ever so slightly. Got the brush off again with the "well there's no code so......"

Took it home, intermittently dealt with it as spring air hit. To this day, even warmed up, I don't think the car sounds right, and I do believe my fuel economy has taken a marginal hit in the 5-10% range over last fall. But the dang thing refuses to pitch a code at me so I can't really do anything about it because the dealer is adamant that it's "normal" noise post fix, and they must have a code to work with in order to diagnose.