B5 or even B20 in CR TDI?

mbesemann

TDI
2011 Golf TDI
I know this technically belongs in the Biodiesel forum but since I'm asking it from a mk6 perspective I figured I'd post here.

Has anyone run B5 or even B20 in their CR TDI? Is this a really bad idea considering how finnicky the fuel pump is? I heard that if you do start running biodiesel you should account for a fuel filter change in the next few thousand miles because of all the "guck" the biodisel pulls out.

I have an EGR & DPF deleted car so the blow-by issue should not be a factor.

Thoughts?

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
Is this a really bad idea considering how finnicky the fuel pump is?

I have an EGR & DPF deleted car so the blow-by issue should not be a factor.
Thoughts?
Your so called finicky fuel pump will be better served by a bio blend as it has greater lunricity.
What blowby are you talkin' about? :eek:

mbesemann

TDI
2011 Golf TDI
What blowby are you talkin' about? :eek:
I believe when the DPF does a regen some unburnt biodiesel can contaminate the engine oil so you'd have to check for rising oil levels. That should be one less thing to worry about with a deleted car.

iamatt

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta 6 Speed manual
You're fine. Most of the pumps around here where I live are 5% bio. Haven't had any problems with the bio just hurricanes =D

Diesl

Veteran Member
TDI
'78 Golf Diesel (long gone); 2012 Jetta Sportwagen TDI w/ DSG
Illinois owners got a letter from VW stating that up to 20% biodiesel is OK, and to just watch out for rising oil levels.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
The other concern with high bio blends are the cloud point is dropped unless proper additives have been added.

I'm sure up in Quebec if its a local bio refinery they will blend plenty cold enough as the weather changes, but still something to be aware of.