Trading in your VW TDI? What will be your next car

DieselMann99

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI w/ Premium, DSG (Buyback Nov 2018); 2013 Jetta TDI (bought Dec 2018); also, bought a CPO 2017 Passat TSI (Nov 2018)
We purchased a 2017 Cruze Diesel a couple of weeks ago.
Sounds like you're very happy with it.

I never considered it. I have a hard time purchasing a Big 3 automobile. Haven't owned one since 1978.

PeteVinBoston

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Black on Black JSW TDI; 6sp Manual
Ended up with a BMW 328xD wagon on a nice lease deal. Much smaller than the Touareg.
So far 10K miles. No issues. Mileage is around 40 -42 mpg on a 48 mile round trip commute. Very quiet and smooth ride. Will see how the xdrive works in first winter session in Boston.

Wascally Wabbit

TDI
2010 TDI
I ended up buying a low mile 2012 golf 2.5L and swapping all the tdi trim over from my 2010 tdi so the 2.5L is exactly the same (same color everything) as my tdi was and vw got back a base model tdi. All my friends and family didn't even notice I switched cars.

Mike in Anchorage

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Touareg Lux, 2015 Golf Sportwagen SE, new 4 Sept 2017;2009 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagen (Ruby) sold to VW on 22 SEP 2017
I liked my 2009 JSW enough that I found a 2015 GSW with better options [SE with lighting package] and financing for 42 months at 0% interest is a pretty good deal to decide if I later want something different. The '15 has better pickup, lower RPM at highway speeds, and a much better sound system. I'm quite happy with it. Took delivery with 54 miles on it in the Orlando area and had a great road trip to bring it home.

Tony45

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI 2-door 6MT (BB - 4/18)
Still have 12 months before giving up my Golf (plan to turn in the last possible day in December). Cars in mind: ‘19 Golf GTI, Mazda CX-5 Diesel (if it ever makes it to the US), Kia plug-in hybrid is also in the running. P.S. I have another car for w/e driving.

andrewface

TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen
Did a lease takeover on a 2016 Golf TSI. So far happy with it. The mileage is decent when compared to the TDI (not as good but 75% as good I would say).

Smashed Ixnay

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
Originally bought a 2017 Passat SE TSI, but I did not like the mileage compared to the 2010 Jetta TDI we were replacing. I really tried to like it, but it just wasn't a TDI. I had to try really hard to get good mileage, but most of times I was getting low to mid 30's mpg.

Ended up telling my wife she could keep the car and found myself a 2015 Passat TDI SEL. I absolutely LOVE the car. The car drives a bit different from out 2010 TDI, but overall it still feels like a TDI. The car gets great mileage, and even better than our 2010 TDI.

DieselMann99

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI w/ Premium, DSG (Buyback Nov 2018); 2013 Jetta TDI (bought Dec 2018); also, bought a CPO 2017 Passat TSI (Nov 2018)
Originally bought a 2017 Passat SE TSI, but I did not like the mileage compared to the 2010 Jetta TDI we were replacing. I really tried to like it, but it just wasn't a TDI. I had to try really hard to get good mileage, but most of times I was getting low to mid 30's mpg.

Ended up telling my wife she could keep the car and found myself a 2015 Passat TDI SEL. I absolutely LOVE the car. The car drives a bit different from out 2010 TDI, but overall it still feels like a TDI. The car gets great mileage, and even better than our 2010 TDI.
I'm thinking about a CPO 2015 Passat TDI too. I know it's been discussed here before, but what can you tell me about the Passat TDI vs Jetta TDI?

I know the Passat is a little bigger, slightly heavier, a little more plush, maybe a little less sporty feeling, but what else can you tell me?

Mark_J

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 TDI Passat SEL Premium, 2017 Fiat Spider, 2017 Ford F350 6.7 Diesel crew cab PU, 2016 Harley Trike, 2016 Tesla Model X P90D (I know went to the dark side)
I've had several Jetta TDI's, and the last one being a 2005.5. I now drive a new 2015 Passat SEL Premium TDI and I love it. I did chip the Jetta so this comparison may not be 100% accurate. The chip was nothing radical, pretty conservative. The Jetta hardly ever got under 50 MPG figured with pen and paper, had more get up and go off the line, but it was a smaller and lighter car with the 1.9 engine. The Passat is not as sporty but rides very nice and now that I have about 9,500 miles it is getting peppier off the line. My MPG is around the low 40s around town and 45+ on the highway which I am happy considering it is much heavier. I do like the extra room in the Passat. So I am very happy with it.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Perhaps for many people, the next Jetta will be a worthy successor.

https://vw-website-assets.s3.amazon...sets/documents/2019/jetta/Jetta2019_en_ca.pdf

The 1.4T has gone across-the-board. 6-speed manual (the old 5-speed base-model transmission is gone) or 8-speed automatic (DSG is gone). It actually has "colour" choices.

I don't care for the chrome-accent version of the grille, but the all-black version looks OK. It's unclear which trim or option level has what. Otherwise, I'm warming up to this, although I won't be needing another car for quite a while.

edit: The link is to the Canadian-market trim levels. Heated seats are standard, engine start-stop is standard.

Last edited:

Mike in Anchorage

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Touareg Lux, 2015 Golf Sportwagen SE, new 4 Sept 2017;2009 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagen (Ruby) sold to VW on 22 SEP 2017
Perhaps for many people, the next Jetta will be a worthy successor.

https://vw-website-assets.s3.amazon...sets/documents/2019/jetta/Jetta2019_en_ca.pdf

The 1.4T has gone across-the-board. 6-speed manual (the old 5-speed base-model transmission is gone) or 8-speed automatic (DSG is gone). It actually has "colour" choices.

I don't care for the chrome-accent version of the grille, but the all-black version looks OK. It's unclear which trim or option level has what. Otherwise, I'm warming up to this, although I won't be needing another car for quite a while.

edit: The link is to the Canadian-market trim levels. Heated seats are standard, engine start-stop is standard.
Dang, orange and sage taking away two silver colors! I wish we had those options. This looks like a site for Canadian buyers. Maybe some of the options will make it to the US.

DSL HED

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta wagon DSG
I'm considering buying a manual Fiat 500 Abarth with part of my money, and then getting something more practical later on.

I confirmed that my local dealer is participating to the end of the BB window so at least I won't have to drive far since I'm waiting to do the buyback.

msantram

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 SportWagen TDI DSG (Buyback 2018.01.30)
Picked up a CPO '13 GTI Driver's Edition w/35k miles on the clock at the end of December. Flew to Ohio to get it, and have been loving every minute in it. A bit smaller than the SportWagen, but much easier to park in the city. Easy to hit 80 without much thought or effort, and there is no tune on it yet! The feel is similar, but the 2.0 engine is peppy and fun to drive.

fastalan

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI Wagon
msantram, 2013 GTI is true mk 6 design, sportwagen is like mk 5.5. Are you find the chassis and overall assembly of the GTI more refined and quieter than the sportwagen?

TwosDay

TDI
2006 Jetta 1.9 PD 5-Speed with the van Gogh fix, 2012 PassIt 6-Speed PLATNUM Grey (scheduled for buyback), 2013 JSW 6-Speed Platnum Grey, 2018 Chevy Equanox TD to replace '12 PassIt!
Just purchased a Chevy Equinox TD as a replacement for my 2012 Passat.

The Equinox got 51.1 MPG indicated on the way back to my Indiana home from the dealership. I am very happy with the new ride but having minor difficulty learning how to drive a vehicle with an automatic transmission. Too bad that they don't make them with all 3 pedals in the floor.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
Things are starting to get a little more real for us since we must turn our '13 Passat in by December. I've got all the paperwork done except to select the actual turn-in date, and I wish deciding on a new car would be as easy as turning this one in.
First, diesels are out. We've enjoyed this car and its mileage, but there are too many expensive issues affecting overall cost of ownership. And we won't own an SUV or a pickup, and the very few remaining new diesels out there are far too expensive for us.
Electric vehicles are not yet ready for prime time as far as our motoring needs are concerned, and only one hybrid would likely make the cut— an it's still a "vapormobile," although it's supposed to be at the dealers this Spring. I'm talking about the non plug-in Honda Accord. But until it becomes real and we've driven it, can't make a move.
So- it comes down to a gas sedan or wagon in the same size as the Passat (or larger, obviously). The disadvantage to all of these is that we say good-bye to the 42 mpg average we've enjoyed for 68K miles, helllo to low thirties, at best.
First, the gas Passat. Advantage is that we know the NMS platform intimately, we like it. Second would be the new 2018 Accord. Lots of good reviews....lots. Third, the Buick Regal (Opel Insignia), both sedan and wagon would be candidates, since we like hatches and wagons. Fourth would be the VW Arteon (if it shows), which has a hatch that we like and almost certrainly a sticker that we won't. Last would be the Volvo S90 / V90, which appear to be attractive choices, but will likely be disqualified by price unless we can find the right CPO car.
As soon as the weather gets really nice, let the test drives begin....

CHawk

TDI
2011 Golf TDI 4D DSG (gone buyback)
Finally did the buyback and replaced my 2011 Golf TDI with a CPO 2015 Mercedes GLK350 4matic. Reasons:

1. I’m now semi-retired and only drive about 5,000 miles/year, so fuel economy wasn’t a critical element in my decision.

2. Wanted an SUV so I could drive up to the mountains in summer. Not that I hadn’t taken the Golf on a forest service road or two, but it was far from ideal, as are most sedans.

3. Wanted something relatively compact since I live in a metropolitan area where a lot of my routine driving is in city traffic, and maneuverability in crowded parking lots makes life a lot easier. The GLK is only about 178” long, 7” shorter than the new Tiguan and about the same as a Ford Escape.

4. People hauling and mega-cargo capacity were not priorities—we have another vehicle for that. The GLK has awful back-seat legroom, but my Golf wasn’t strong in that department either. The GLK has awesome driver leg room and is great for two people and their stuff.

5. POWER—giving up the torque of the TDI, I wanted something with acceleration. This left out a lot of the mainstream compact SUVs, even with the pricier turbocharged engines. The GLK350 has 302hp in a normally-aspirated V6.

6. All-wheel drive. Though we have very little snow here, we do have a fair amount of rain, and I’ve noticed AWD vehicles seem to be more predictable on wet roads. This is particularly noticeable on the freeway where water accumulates in the wheel ruts caused by damage from decades of studded-tire use. The GLK, through AWD and 4,100 lbs of heft, seems to hold its line without pulling to one side or another.

7. Quiet, solid, and responsive. I want to hear myself think, even when driving on the bad road surfaces where I live. Also I wanted something that would handle well—if not quite as well as my Golf, at least well-enough that I could ENJOY driving on a winding road.

I had to cough up about $9K more than the buyback amount plus our exorbitant 10.7% sales tax (cough, cough), but I should be able to enjoy the GLK for years to come.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Things are starting to get a little more real for us since we must turn our '13 Passat in by December.
You're not required to return the car. No one has a gun to your head. If you like the car as much as you seem to, and since it only has 68K on it, why not get it fixed and keep it? if you compare costs between taking the fix compensation versus the expense of a different car, the Passat may look pretty appealing. Besides, the fix comes with a great warranty.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
You're not required to return the car. <snip>
True, and I should have perhaps expatiated a bit more on that in my original post. By "have to" in this instance I meant only that December of this year is the limit for turning the car in.
I have been through all the major discussions on this forum regarding whether to buyback / fix / do nothing, and there are a number of reasons why doing the buyback is best for us. In those threads I have discussed those reasons at some length, and I will not rehash them here. In some ways, as you point out, it may be advantageous to fix and keep the car, but we feel that the buyback is the appropriate choice.

Antinov

TDI
2002 Golf A4
Not exactly a trade in per'se. But some one who probably shouldn't still have a licence made a flagrantly illegal left turn into oncoming traffic and wrecked my '02 TDI. Me and my passenger came out unscathed, but the car was beyond what insurance was willing to consider repairable.

I looked and looked, but the TDI's are more or less all gone from the market, the '15's and '16's in my area got snapped up as soon as VW was allowed to sell them. So I settled on a TSI 2018 Golf sportwagen with AWD. It's nice, in everything but the fuel economy. Even a well used 2002 TDI was beating it hands down in KM/L.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
All comparison, reading reviews, and test drives are over for us. We dropped the hammer on a new 2018 Honda Accord 2.0T Touring today. Couldn't resist the combination of features, power, and price. Will select a buyback date for later in July.

autdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 NB, 2003 NB, 2006 Touareg, 2015 Jetta, 2013 Beetle, 2013 Touareg
We are half way through the swap plan. We picked up a 2015 Jetta TDI SEL manual. Now we have to schedule the buyback on the 2014 Beetle. The replacement for the 2014 Beetle will be either a 2015 Beetle, or a 2015 Passat TDI. EPA must love that, keeping 2 of the slightly less dirty diesels on the road. I'm still toying with getting rid of a non-VW and adding yet another one, I needed a car when they were still in the no-sale state, and got a Fiat 500L, which I only picked based on the lifetime warranty they put on the car, and it was cheap, but not what I wanted, so I may remedy that now there is stock to pick from.

madmarty1

TDI
2000 Jetta sedan-gone, 2002 Jetta Sportswagen-gone, 2010 Jetta Sportswagen-gone.
My replacement vehicle.....

It's not what my next vehicle will be, but rather what my next vehicle is......and that would be a 2018 Mazda 3 Touring Hatchback, 6-sp manual, in my driveway since 2 July 2018, with the 2010 TDI Jetta Sportswagen, 6-sp manual, 17,003 miles on the OD, sitting comatose in my one car garage awaiting its 23 July 2018 buyback appointment.

With the projected VW buyback amount and reparation payment for the TDI figured in, I picked up the new, not used, Mazda for several hundred dollars less, out the door, than what the estimated VW payout will be. For that I'm happy.

This is my first Japanese car. Compared to the TDI, I feel like I took a significant downgrade with the Mazda. Still going through a lot of attitude adjustment re: cargo space, much diminished mpg, and a few other Mazda related things primarily related to what I see as poorer/cheaper build quality. I periodically remind myself that if I end up truly disliking the vehicle, I can always replace it with something else within my means.

At this juncture, I'm still learning to "like" the Mazda. Who knows? Maybe it'll turn out to be an affectionate, mostly non-dysfunctional relationship. Then there's the Mazda, diesel like, SKYACTIV X technology coming in the not too distant future, maybe later in 2019.

With the 2010 TDI's departure will end almost 18 continuous years of driving TDI's. Just have to make sure I don't have a senior moment and end up putting diesel in the Mazda's gas tank. Ah well, nothing lasts forever, and eventually everything will come to pass---sometimes for better, sometimes for worse. Such is life and mortality.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
A 2010 with less than 20K?

If the rummors of VW crushing all 2010 and earlier cars is true this is just crazy. I can't imagine VW willing to dump more cash into potential warranty claims of a 2010.