Alarm sounds unless battery is disconnected, and wont start...

Proudfoot

TDI
1996 Passat TDI
Ok, little background time:

My friend is in Africa so I'm car sitting for her. Though that part is unnecessary, what it means is that the car has sat for the last 5 months now, and I just picked it up today performing some serious rockstar towing moves up my windy back alley with barely an 1" of clearance on either side.

Ok enough with all the superfluous filler stuff...

So, its a '99 bug. I was told that when I re-connect the battery the alarm would be going off and just deal with it, so I re-connected it, sure enough, that thing's loud. But, the car wouldn't start either. Not even a sound. I went there over the weekend to pick it up the first time, but the battery had been sitting for too long, and was drained. After about 15 mins of being hooked up to my dodge (2 batteries, plenty of CCA's) to charge a bit, the starter still wouldn't even try to turn, just a clicking sound coming from the headlight switch area (starter solenoid?). Interestingly though, it was not doing the alarm thing then, maybe not enough juice?

Well, being sunday the neighbor was home and I was kind of disturbing his party with me revving up my truck, so he was nice enough to lend me a trickle charger, anyway the battery is now charged.

Is this something that anyone has ever run into? Is it the kind of thing where everyone will just say "VCDS." Is there anyone in the SF bay area that has the correct VCDS that is willing to make a little time? Little trade in homebrewed beer to even it all out???

Proudfoot

TDI
1996 Passat TDI
looked through a few of the other threads on this, seems like it's likely the lock module? I just went out there and locked all the doors, reconnected the battery and the alarm didn't go off (phew). Unlocked all the doors manually and electronically to see if there was a combination that would allow me to start it, still no start though. Hooked it up to the dodge again, just to see if maybe the battery didn't have quite enough, but still nothin', except the clicking...

Proudfoot

TDI
1996 Passat TDI
battery's about 2 yrs old, I remember replacing it with her. it shouldn't be toast, unless the sitting just cycled it too deep. all the display stuff comes on bright, doors lock and unlock, headlights come on etc. With that kind of juice and being hooked up to the two other batteries, ought it to start?

lovemybug

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Red Beetle
Yes, it should start with it being jumped. You may want to look at a possible loose connection to the starter, or possibly the starter selenoid. It's possible the starter itself may even be bad. Based on a re-read of your posts, I think I'm leaning more toward the starter selenoid being bad. If so, I'm not sure if you can replace just that part or if the entire starter assembly needs to be replaced. I would pull the starter out and get it tested before throwing money at parts. Just my opinion, though.

Proudfoot

TDI
1996 Passat TDI
Thanks. I would like to be able to test the starter without taking it off if possible first, can you hotwire these things? Anyone have any other ideas? Again when I turn the key I just get a clicking from the headlight switch area, and all the lights flicker along with it.

I will try cleaning the contacts next time I stick my head in there, seems like a good first route...

lovemybug

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Red Beetle
I'm not sure if you can jump contacts to bypass the selenoid on these starters. The clicking, though, does seem to point in the selenoid direction.

rwtags

Veteran Member
TDI
VW 2000 Beetle
no cranking of the engine? i just tried starting my car, and it was doing that with the lights twitching, plugged in my 50amp boost charger, and it cranked right away, dont charge your battery at 50amps though, hope that helps ya