Current Tacoma Biodiesel Price?

alienbogey

Veteran Member
TDI
NB
Anyone know what the price for BioDiesel at the pump near Port of Tacoma is these days? I'm thinking with the last price I paid of $2.89 for dino maybe the bioD is close to the same.

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS
<attitude> Their card reader is sh$% and it always takes me MANY tries to get it to read properly. Once that battle is over, then you advance to getting the pump to emit at a rate faster than a dripping fawcet. Usually, stopping pumping for more than a few seconds and then re-starting will sometimes fix it. If not, repeat until exasperated. Are you sure it wasn't just dribbling as usual or were they completely out? </attitude>

mobe

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf
Their website has a current price link. (right above the pic with all the TDIs)

Maybe I have just been lucky. I've never had a problem with the card reader, and they have always had fuel to sell. It has been slow a couple of times but I stop pumping for 20 sec (per sign on pump) and then have always had better than adequate flow.
My one complaint is pricing. BD seems to rise right along with D2. It's as if they know we are used to paying a premium. hmmm

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS
Mobe... actually I gave up more than once because of the card reader thing thinking they no longer accepted generic Visa/MC, etc. Trying every available option, I was finally able to get it to work by NOT removing the card when prompted but waiting a few seconds then VERY slowly retracting the card. Even at that, it only works sporadically. It can take 10 tries or more to finally get a good read. The puzzling thing is... I use this card ALL the time and it seems faultless everywhere else. Topping off down the street at the 'J' it reads lightning fast and every time. Go figure... I blamed it on tired equipment. I know I'm not the only one who has experienced this. Regardless, I continue with the ritual. I was surprised at the price increase also. Figured it was a 'what the market will bear' kind of thing...

michael.

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, 2K, silver
3.20 is the current price as of last night 8.29.05

Card reader - sometimes works... but usually one try does the job.
Pump flow - again sometimes flows... but 20 seconds I wish I could get back usually solves the problem.

All for the price of BioD... but I'm still

alienbogey

Veteran Member
TDI
NB
Thanks for the replies.

Man, that pricing is a crock.

I read in the paper about the DioD pump when it came out, the vendor was quoted as saying that the price should be "competitive" with dino. The article had $2.79 as the price at a time that Flying J was $2.29. I got down there 3 days after it opened and paid $2.99 with Flying J still at $2.29.

Now, with dino at J about $2.89 the bioD is up to $3.20?????

Someone explain to me how problems in the Mideast, Hurricane Katrina, etc, affect soybean production.

I'd like to burn bioD but I won't be a sucker, either. If they're just going to float the price at dino + $.45 they can keep it.

05TDIPDHappy

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2005 Indigo Blue
Ouch. 2.99 for dino D! Holly crap.
I got it just in time monday then at 2.78 in Oly. I think the sign said 2.91 when I drove by this morning... can they flip the price any quicker???

ARG and I thought BD would offer price competition to hold prices at bay, not price escalation!

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS
Saturday night, 9/3... still $3.199... Card swipe seemed to work better. Only one problem... Pump refused to reset to 0 gallons when handle lifted. OUT again? Same for both pumps 3 & 8. Whatever...

alienbogey

Veteran Member
TDI
NB
Paid $3.09 for dino at Flying J on the 6th, didn't have time to fight the LONG line of truckers to get to the BioD pump to check the price. If bio is still at $3.19 it would beat the price of my local Shell's dino.

mobe

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf
Well the Biodiesel pump is experincing mechanical problems and is not currently operational. I emailed APP last night after I was unable to get me some.

They are working on it, I'll post when/if I hear any news. I'll also mention someting to them about keeping us updated in the future as people make special trips to the pump. I know how frustrating it can be. I made a trip to Ballard once when they had no fuel. I always called ahead after that.
If they can post a current price on-line they should be able to post the pump status too.

This is the first time in over a year that I've been B0. Yuk!

GotDiesel?

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta GLS
When I last filled up at APP, a trucker pulled up shortly after me and was waiting to fill up on B99.

He said he gets 50% better mileage on B99 than on D2.

I was quite surprised, but who am I to question his experience?

At best I get a bit less economy (and power) out of B99 than Dino-D.

Bummer about the pump...

GotDiesel?

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta GLS
And for what it's worth, the Bio-D at APP is the SAME price (if the pump works) as D2 at Flying J across the street!

w_caires

TDI
Jetta, 1998, Silver
Pumped on pump three, card swipe worked great, paid $3.19 a gallon. Still very greatfull to have this station for biod. Thanks again

mobe

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf
I guess it's hit and miss at this station. I'm glad to see that they're still pumping. I may have to try again at half a tank to get rid of this terrible exhaust smell.

I did get a e-mail from APP today saying they are building a new facility in Fife that will have biodiesel available. ETA: 3months

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS
Grabbed some Bio this afternoon... Pump worked, Yeah! Card swipe must be an anomaly unique to me I guess. I'd heard others (offline) mention problems with that. Still takes me a few times and some 'special' technique but not the end of the world as we know it. Despite the difficulties I've experienced, it's all good

mobe

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf
I spoke on the phone with Luke at APP today.

It seems some folks are having some fuel filter clogging issues with their fuel (supplied by Seattle Biodiesel) when run in concentrations greater than B50. Which is what I typically run and I've had no problems.

As a result, APP is closing the biodiesel pumps, sucking out all the fuel and replacing it with World Energy biodiesel on Monday 9/19. So no bean juice till Monday.

Seattle Biodiesel is buying back the fuel and is working on solving the problem. Luke, at APP, said they won't buy from SBD until they get the problem solved.

Good People, both at APP and Seattle Biodiesel. I hope they get the process perfected soon. I want to see local production of feedstock and fuel processing succeed!

-Matt

alienbogey

Veteran Member
TDI
NB
I have a friend who's a service writer with Huling Chevy in Seattle. They have had a LOT of Duramax diesels in with fuel filter and fuel pump problems do to that bad lot of BioD, including a fleet of trucks from the City. He says that at minimum fuel filters need to be replaced, at worst $1400 fuel pumps are replaced.

According to him, the supplier traced the problem to one bad batch/tank of BioD.

As an aside, he says that once it is shown that bioD is in the fuel system Chevy will refuse to warranty any fuel system claims and that vehicle's ID will be flagged in GM's computer system if it is taken to another dealer.

Just FYI.

PDiesoiler

Veteran Member
PNW TDI Capital of the World; (ok maybe just the U
TDI
TDI-less
I spoke on the phone with Luke at APP today.

It seems some folks are having some fuel filter clogging issues with their fuel (supplied by Seattle Biodiesel) when run in concentrations greater than B50. Which is what I typically run and I've had no problems.

As a result, APP is closing the biodiesel pumps, sucking out all the fuel and replacing it with World Energy biodiesel on Monday 9/19. So no bean juice till Monday.

Seattle Biodiesel is buying back the fuel and is working on solving the problem. Luke, at APP, said they won't buy from SBD until they get the problem solved.

Good People, both at APP and Seattle Biodiesel. I hope they get the process perfected soon. I want to see local production of feedstock and fuel processing succeed!

-Matt
Sorry for getting a bit off track but what is this bad batch of bio? I bought some from Laurelhurst Oil on 9/03 and wonder if this is from the same batch? I was at SeattleBio website and blog and no mention or caution of "problematic" fuel. Is this just the Tacoma station or Laurelhurst oil which Seattle Bio supplies as well? I would hope they would at least caution if there is a problem as some have stored quantities of yet unused fuel. There should be nothing wrong in admitting a glitch in a batch but to not alert its customers...well that is not good. I would rather dump a few gallons than risk using it if it doesn't meet spec.
Thanks Matt and appreciate any more info.
Jayeson

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS
This pisses me off. I hope I dodged a bullet on this one. Having filled up on the 11th, I am certainly in the 'window' of possiblity that this effects me as well. This is the primary reason I have always been skeptical of Bio: Quality control. I refuse to put my car at risk for the sake of 'doing the right thing'. I, for one, am not willing to extend that to damaging my vehicle and suffering substantial financial losses due to bad fuel. My contribution to the 'cause' is the fact that I bought an extreme mileage car and use far less resources than most. I think I will leave it at that.

PDiesoiler

Veteran Member
PNW TDI Capital of the World; (ok maybe just the U
TDI
TDI-less
This pisses me off. I hope I dodged a bullet on this one. Having filled up on the 11th, I am certainly in the 'window' of possiblity that this effects me as well. This is the primary reason I have always been skeptical of Bio: Quality control. I refuse to put my car at risk for the sake of 'doing the right thing'. I, for one, am not willing to extend that to damaging my vehicle and suffering substantial financial losses due to bad fuel. My contribution to the 'cause' is the fact that I bought an extreme mileage car and use far less resources than most. I think I will leave it at that.
I'm with you on this one FlyTDI Guy. I purchased 2 gallons to blend @ 5% from Laurelhurst Oil Union Bay on 9/3
Looking now at my settled jugs there is about 1/2 inch of white milky talcum like powder crap at the bottom of the jug. I'm pissed too and suffice to say I've lost all confidence in Seattle Bio for not acknowledging the issue to its customers. No more Seattle Biofuel for me...ever!

Chief Lee Visceral

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2001, midnight blue
What is the latest on the Seattle Biodiesel? I need to fuel. Who last bought at APP Port of Tacoma if you would comment please. Do we think they got all the crap out if they pumped the tank?

geon116

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Passat GLS Wagon, Silverstone
Damn, I checked my records and I filled up on 9/15 in Tacoma, wish I had known. I was almost completely empty too. That pump is a pain in the arse to begin with....let alone bad fuel. I may just take the long trip to Lacey from now on.
I've had no issues so far. I just checked and I have about 5/8ths of a tank of bio left. Anybody want to assist me in a fuel filter change? I've got about 15K on the Passat and it's close to due anyway. I've been pretty busy lately and haven't been keeping up on the forum, unfortunately.

I recall running into another passat tdi owner a week or so ago up north of Seattle who was having acceleration problems--he wasn't too happy with his new passat. I noticed he had a biodiesel sticker on his car, so I told him with only 3K on his car to take it to the dealer, fill the tank with reg. diesel and take the sticker off first. He was a Dr. Dan customer.

avantaholic

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Sportwagon.
i've heard that there have been *several?* new Passats having acceleration problems. I asked someone at University VW, here in Seattle, if this was a Biodiesel issue. He said that they wouldn't really know, as pretty much all their TDI customers use biodiesel. He also said that he hadn't really heard about a specific Passat issue...

There has been a bit of back-n-forth about different retailers here in Seattle, but this info about APP (thanks Mobe!) is the first I've heard that *might* confirm a specific issue and source. I would just recommend that you purchase fuel from someone you trust- I've seen some pretty scary looking dino-fuel, straight from a clogged filter!

(I've used 100% biodiesel for about 40K miles, mainly from Dr. Dan, but some from Laurelhurst, and not had any issues. As far as I know, APP and Laurelhurst are selling Seattle Biodiesel and Dan has sold *some*. Seattle Biodiesel has stated that they have had some quality issues, and are standing behind what they sell)

I challenge anyone here to show a fuel system problem, worse that a fuel filter, that can be attributed to biodiesel. At University VW they were talking about the *fact* that the higher water content in biodiesel can cause fuel pump failure- when asked, they stated that they have NEVER replace a fuel pump in a TDI

mobe

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf
Not just Passats, avantaholic. A friend's A4 non-PD Jetta was stranded on the freeway in Tacoma. He popped in a new filter and some D2 and he is back in business. His car is well maintained otherwise.

But anyway, here is some encouraging news from Seattle Biodiesel's web-blog.

September 28, 2005

Has Seattle Biodiesel experienced fuel quality problems?

Yes, during our start-up phase (we began production in May of 2005 after exceeding the ASTM 6751 standards) we have experienced production and testing issues that have unfortunately led to some bad fuel batches entering the market. Starting in late August, some customers using high blends (B99) began to experience filter clogs when the weather changed to cool nights (below 55F). Some retailers reported a white precipitate at the bottom of their tanks and reported a similar substance in affected fuel filters. Analysis of the fuel indicated an elevated level of free and total glycerin relative to the ASTM specification. While other biodiesel producers have experienced similar white precipitate issues even with in specification fuel, we decided this was not acceptable to have our customers deal with fuel quality issues in the field and have aggressively addressed the issue.

Seattle Biodiesel has worked diligently with our distribution, retail and end user customer over the last few weeks to identify the root cause. When the out of specification condition was verified, we immediately notified our customers, recalled all the fuel in the market and halted further sales. After exhaustive R&D, production process analysis, and significant investment in additional on site testing capacity, we are once again making fuel that exceeds the standards. We began to supply to customers fully verified fuel free of the identified glycerin issue on September 28. We are confident through our own internal and externally verified testing that our current fuel batches exceed all ASTM and BQ9000 specifications for biodiesel. In addition to our recent investments, Seattle Biodiesel has started a project to become fully BQ 9000 certified.

Seattle Biodiesel stands behind our fuel 100%. To meet our goals of producing the best quality fuel at the best possible price, we have made significant investments and continue to invest in technology and infrastructure. Any customer who has experienced fuel related problems with Seattle Biodiesel fuel should contact your distributor or retailer for a full and complete resolution. We thank our customers for their continued support as we work to scale up production at the Northwest's first commercial scale biodiesel refinery.

geon116

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Passat GLS Wagon, Silverstone
Well, I've ran most of this tank of bio out and haven't had a problem. I've been reluctant to let the wife drive it on her commute incase the filter plugs. I'll run a few more miles on this tank and go to seaport and fill 'er up and try my hand at changing the filter...should be good to go then..

alienbogey

Veteran Member
TDI
NB
I stopped at for BioD on 9/30 - couldn't get the card reader to work with two different cards. Went over to Flying J and the card worked fine. $3.11 for the ungettable biod, $3.08 for dino.