Info Needed: Toyota Tacoma ALH TDI Swap Electrical

Manic_VR

Hello all. I'm looking to undertake a ALH TDI swap on a first gen tacoma 4x4 in the coming months. The build threads I have seen lack info on electrical integration from what I have seen. My main concern on this build is wiring. My goal is to keep everything plug and play and as near OEM fit and finish as possible. My plan is to use a toyota factory fuse block to run the toyota side of the electronics while using the mk4 VW fuse block to run the transplanted engine, fueling, OBD, ECU, HV/AC, cooling fans, etc. Obviously I need the VW engine harness, but what other harnesses do the MK4 cars have? HV/AC harness separate?

What are folks doing to get RPM signal to the toyota cluster? Is there a work around?

How about AC compressor signal? Would the toyota HV/AC controls be able to send a signal to the VW ECU to signal the VW compressor clutch?

Are there any good Toyota wiring schematic references? I'm aware of the Bentley publishers manuals for the VW, so I'm good there.

Any other info would be appreciated?

smelly621

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf, 2003 Tacoma
The Toyota FSMs wiring diagram sections are beautiful and easy to read. I used a .pdf version and just printed out the sections I needed for use in the garage/truck with me.

I think you need to read Jimbote's taco swap thread a few more times before you can say it's lacking electrical integration info - I found everything I needed in there and in the stickied wiring pin-out thread in this section of the forums.

In fact, Jimmy just posted this a few days ago and I am thinking about getting it tattooed on the inside of my wrist for easy reference:

121 ecm interface pin/wire chart:
component:...........pin color
CEL:…...................24 ws/bl
tach:.....................27 gn/br
glow:.....................40 bl/gn
vss:.......................20 bl/ws
k line:....................16 gr/ws
clutch cancel:..........66 ws/ro
BS n/o:...................32 ro/sw
BS n/c:...................65 ws/ge
"wake up"
(key O/S):...............37 sw/li

There are some nuances here and there - but it's all well documented if you take the time to read, read, read. The more time you spend reading about how others have done the swap, the more time you will save not repeating their mistakes. Read all the Toyota truck swap threads you can find - they're pretty similar and have some good advice too.

My 2 cents: I trigger my ALH AC compressor with the toyota wire. It's just a 12V clutch. Same wire also goes to my aftermarket (flex-a-lite) stand-alone fan controller, and kicks on the cooling fans. The factory fan controlling scheme on the Mk4's isn't really worth bringing over, but the fans themselves are fine if you bypass their internal low-speed circuitry and let the controller take care of the speed.

The Toyota engine ECU is basically a stand-alone already, and does not need to remain installed after the swap.

If you do find yourself at the point where you have the motor in the truck, and have specific questions you're stuck on, folks will go out of their way to help.