Does vw passat 2013 tdi sel have rear view camera?

Mraar0n

Veteran Member
TDI
Volkswagen Jetta tdi 2014
I have a 2013 vw passat sel tdi, I’ve had it for about a month only 20k miles, I assumed it did not have a back up camera but today I saw a camera in the rear trunk? If it is a rear view cam how do I turn it on/get it to display on my radio?

06bluebeetletdi

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 Passat TDI SEL and '13 Beetle TDI
I know 2012s do not have cameras and I have seen 2013s in se trim without cameras and some with cameras. By chance do you have the original window sticker? There are multiple possibilities: car has aftermarket camera where aftermarket radio was removed and oem radio installed, older oem radio installed with no camera option, camera was turned off with a vagcom or something similar, camera or radio is broken, wiring broken not trigging camera when you put the car in reverse If you purchased it certified pre owned from a vw dealer, it wouldn’t hurt to make an appointment for the camera.

bustNfuel

Veteran Member
TDI
Sold: 13 Passat SEL TDI
My 2013 Passat TDi SEL has a backup camera. I'll look through the menus and see if there is a setting to enable/disable it, and get some pics of the camera and it operating. I'll try and post it tonight but it may be tomorrow if I get sidetracked tonight.

bustNfuel

Veteran Member
TDI
Here's a pic of my backup camera.

Do you have the RNS510 head unit, or an aftermarket unit?

When you put your DSG in reverse does the screen turn black?

I could not find any menu items that would turn the backup camera on or off.

RNS510

Mraar0n

Veteran Member
TDI
Here's a pic of my backup camera.

Do you have the RNS510 head unit, or an aftermarket unit?

When you put your DSG in reverse does the screen turn black?

I could not find any menu items that would turn the backup camera on or off.

RNS510

https://imgur.com/a/hqftRZb My radio looks different it only has 3 buttons on each side where yours has 4 on each side

bustNfuel

Veteran Member
TDI
Looks like either the RNS310 or 315.

I did some looking around online and it looks like a '13 Passat TDi SEL Premium comes standard with the RNS510. I can't find any details whether the RNS31x units came with a backup camera or not. I know that the RNS315 in my wife's EOS doesn't have a backup camera.

From what I've read online just doing a quick search, the RNS-31x can be made to work with a backup camera.

Either your Passat is not really an SEL Premium, maybe after a rear-end collision the trunk and other parts from an SEL with the camera were used, and badging (unlikely) or someone took out or stole the RNS510 and it was replaced with the RNS31x.

Here's how to determine if you have the RNS310 or 315:

https://www.satnavdirect.com/how-to-identify-whether-you-have-a-volkswagen-rns310-or-rns315-unit/

Do some research and see what your Passat came with. Does it have driving lights? A sunroof? Does it say 'Fender' (upgraded audio) on your dash up by the speakers at the base of the A-pillars? Some of these things could be optioned on an SE package Passat.

Maybe let a local VW service dept decode your VIN to see what it was 'born' with will help figure out what's going on.

06bluebeetletdi

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 Passat TDI SEL and '13 Beetle TDI
Someone swapped the radio on that car, you have an rns315, not the rns510 belongs in a passat sel premium. Where did you purchase the car?

BarryT82

Veteran Member
TDI
‘12 JSW TDI
I had a 2013 TDI SEL and it did have the camera. The 2012’s did not due to the nuclear disaster in Japan. Someone swapped your radio and it’s unplugged or the radio isn’t coded to enable it.

Mraar0n

Veteran Member
TDI
I had a 2013 TDI SEL and it did have the camera. The 2012’s did not due to the nuclear disaster in Japan. Someone swapped your radio and it’s unplugged or the radio isn’t coded to enable it.
Yeah I’ll have to pop it out and see

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
RNS315 has capability to install a back up camera, just need the wiring and handle.

We installed one on our 12 SE with the RNS315.

Mraar0n

Veteran Member
TDI
RNS315 has capability to install a back up camera, just need the wiring and handle.

We installed one on our 12 SE with the RNS315.
I popped the camera out and I didn’t see any wires not being used so I assumed the camera is already plugged in, a guy ik is gonna use a vagcom to activate it on the radio I’ll report back

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
I popped the camera out and I didn’t see any wires not being used so I assumed the camera is already plugged in, a guy ik is gonna use a vagcom to activate it on the radio I’ll report back
Can you pull the radio back out and take a pic of all of the connectors on the back of the radio?

The rear view camera is the wide black connector that is under the GPS antenna connector. You can see what I mean in one of the pics here.
https://www.myturbodiesel.com/d2/1000q/a6/rns315-GPS-FAQ-VW.htm

If there is a connector plugged in there, then it probably is a matter of coding, which is also covered at that link.

Last edited:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
top tip:

disconnect the battery before pulling the radio trim and disconnecting the air bag seat light, otherwise it'll toss a air bag light on the dash.

Mraar0n

Veteran Member
TDI
Can you pull the radio back out and take a pic of all of the connectors on the back of the radio?

The rear view camera is the wide black connector that is under the GPS antenna connector. You can see what I mean in one of the pics here.

If there is a connector plugged in there, then it probably is a matter of coding, which is also covered at that link.
Yes I believe that it does have that black connector

Mraar0n

Veteran Member
TDI

[/https://imgur.com/a/KlVcoTP
Stole this photo but that’s what mine looked like

Mraar0n

Veteran Member
TDI
[/https://imgur.com/a/KlVcoTP
Stole this photo but that’s what mine looked like
Update a local guy simply plugged into my ecu with his Vagcom and activated it with a click of a few buttons if you local to pa chambersburg and you need him to code something pm me for his details and he might help you out