02Q 6 Speed Manual Fluid Type

MikeH31324

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI 2 door 6MT
I have searched for hours and have not found a definitive answer on the type of fluid the six speed manual requires. Found lots of contradictory information and personal recommendations but no official spec that I could find from VW.

Anyone know what the correct spec is?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
The part number is G-052-512-A2 (this is a 1 liter bottle).

It is a synthetic 75w90, not really sure what VAG's specifications beyond that are. It may have GL4 on the bottle somewhere.

Last edited:

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
I am approaching 100,000 miles on my 6MT, should I renew the fluid?
Just to be safe I did mine@ 75k with VW o.e. It was ready...

MikeH31324

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI 2 door 6MT
So I spent some time in the maintenance manual last night and finally found the fluid call out. I don’t know why I couldn’t find it when I looked before but the VW P/N for the fluid is G 052 171 A2.

Anyone know the spec or viscosity of this fluid?

I am approaching 50k miles and just last weekend installed a new Sachs SRE clutch and DMF flywheel, Sachs SRE metal slave cylinder, new master cylinder, stainless braided clutch hose, aluminum bleeder block without the internal restrictor. I **** canned the stupid clutch pedal spring while I was at it too. I absolutely hated the way there was zero feel/feedback to the stock setup. I couldn’t feel when the clutch was starting to engage and would sometimes stall the car because of that, or slip the clutch at start off sometimes when trying to start off quickly due to oncoming traffic. With my current set up the clutch engagement is very predictable and there is enough pedal feel/feedback that accidentally stalling the engine or slipping the clutch doesn’t happen. My car is SO MUCH more enjoyable to drive!

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
. I **** canned the stupid clutch pedal spring while I was at it too. I absolutely hated the way there was zero feel/feedback to the stock setup. I couldn’t feel when the clutch was starting to engage and would sometimes stall the car because of that, or slip the clutch at start off sometimes when trying to start off quickly due to oncoming traffic. With my current set up the clutch engagement is very predictable and there is enough pedal feel/feedback that accidentally stalling the engine or slipping the clutch doesn’t happen. My car is SO MUCH more enjoyable to drive!

I think Ken Block would stall a stock 6m JSW lol!

Last edited:

MikeH31324

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI 2 door 6MT
Changed the transmission fluid today. The fluid that drained out, as well as the new G 052 171 A2 fluid, is definitely light weight oil very similar in viscosity to Valvoline Synchromesh. Transmission shifted great before the fluid change and even a bit smoother after.

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
Changed the transmission fluid today. The fluid that drained out, as well as the new G 052 171 A2 fluid, is definitely light weight oil very similar in viscosity to Valvoline Synchromesh. Transmission shifted great before the fluid change and even a bit smoother after.
Im going to do the fluid line (ECS dampner block) convertion soon. Its supposed to give a real clutch feedback feel.

MikeH31324

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI 2 door 6MT
Im going to do the fluid line (ECS dampner block) convertion soon. Its supposed to give a real clutch feedback feel.
It makes a huge improvement. Just realize that the stock pressure plate springs are not very strong and the hydraulics easily overcome the spring pressure. I just installed a Sachs SRE clutch and the new pressure plate springs are about double the thickness and pressure which also helps give more pedal feedback/feel. Make sure to remove the stupid POS spring cartridge that is installed at the clutch pedal hinge point.

Here is a link to the bleeder block I used.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/6-Speed-Cl...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
It makes a huge improvement. Just realize that the stock pressure plate springs are not very strong and the hydraulics easily overcome the spring pressure. I just installed a Sachs SRE clutch and the new pressure plate springs are about double the thickness and pressure which also helps give more pedal feedback/feel. Make sure to remove the stupid POS spring cartridge that is installed at the clutch pedal hinge point.

Here is a link to the bleeder block I used.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/6-Speed-Cl...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
ok thanks. I unfortunately read this post just after the "other" one where I had asked you for the link

Last edited: