Repurposing CP3 pumps

PRY4SNO

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg Execline
Did a search here and couldn't find much in the way of information or an answer. Haven't gone through the entire CP3 conversion thread, but that's a lot of reading for a simple question so forgive me if it's been covered before. Perhaps this will better index the topic for future searches.

There are some pretty good deals on CP3 pumps in my local area. Lots of diesel truck guys sell them cheap as they modify their trucks. Wouldn't you know it, first one I saw was $150, and thought that was the going price. Unfortunately that isn't quite the case.

At any rate, the local second hand market is well below the cost of purchase and shipping from some of the trusted suppliers here so I'm wondering what (if any) differences there are to the Duramax and Cummins CP3 pumps when installing on our CJAA engines? There's the sprocket swap, what else? Anything that NEEDS to be refurbished, where others are suggested or opportune before installation? Any bench tests one can do to discern what kind of preventative maintenance is required?

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
I don't think you could get the big CP3 pumps from the diesel trucks to work without major fabrication efforts. From what I remember the pump I got from Andrew was a R70 CP3 intended for a Peugeot or Citroen diesel.

Bradm

Veteran Member
TDI
02,03,05, Jetta 99.5 Golf
Thought I read something in the cp3 thread about using one off a Jeep Liberty

Joe Romas

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sprotswagen
Thought I read something in the cp3 thread about using one off a Jeep Liberty
Yes and as a former owner of a Jeep Liberty I can tell you that only on North American bound 05/06 Liberty CRD's there is a coating inside the CP3 pump to protect them from the crappy fuel we're known to have in the US. CP3 failure on North American Liberty CRD's is just not heard of.

PRY4SNO

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg Execline
Yes and as a former owner of a Jeep Liberty I can tell you that only on North American bound 05/06 Liberty CRD's there is a coating inside the CP3 pump to protect them from the crappy fuel we're known to have in the US. CP3 failure on North American Liberty CRD's is just not heard of.

This is top drawer info. Have any links to flesh this out this notion, or is your statement based on experience?

PRY4SNO

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg Execline
Found a pump at a local wrecker from an 05 Liberty, cost is $450 CAD 90 day warranty.

Decent cost? What else needs done to it to install?

tjg

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 TDI A3, '14 TDI Sportwagen
There's an adapter bracket you'll need. If you look at macradiator or darkside developments, you can see the parts they supply with the pump.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I wouldn't try to reinvent the wheel on this swap guys. Andrew did all of the difficult pioneering work and found a plug and play CP3 to go with his adapter. Just get the right pump and save yourself many headaches. I'd contact Macradiators for decent pricing on a cp3 kit.

PRY4SNO

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg Execline
I wouldn't try to reinvent the wheel on this swap guys. Andrew did all of the difficult pioneering work and found a plug and play CP3 to go with his adapter. Just get the right pump and save yourself many headaches. I'd contact Macradiators for decent pricing on a cp3 kit.

Things change with time, no? Wouldn't it be wise to investigate other options down the road as they become available?

Knowing what is possible vs what's available is part of my personal research. I'm not saying the available products are unsatisfactory, I'm saying I want to know what all the options are today.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No point in buying the wrong pump. You want Bosch part # 0445010042.

Bradm

Veteran Member
TDI
02,03,05, Jetta 99.5 Golf
Don’t know which one of the many threads you’ve searched or looked at but the original one by 2micron is a good one that throughly explains which pump works, why and how. There’s many hours of r+d he did. Also the use of Jeep cp3’s Or as they call them in the thread “mini Cp3”. Definitely worth reading through imo. It’s called “ Cp3 pump install experiment *big pics*” or close to that.
Hope this helps, hopefully your on to something here

JordanLee

TDI
2014 GSW
I just found Whitbreads store last week too and was glad they sold just the adapter! Refreshing news for stateside buyers. A new pump for 387 isn’t bad at all...

Joe Romas

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sprotswagen
This is top drawer info. Have any links to flesh this out this notion, or is your statement based on experience?
Lots of hits but on a 15 year old vehicle I can't find much definite information.The following forum was very active back when the 05-06 Liberty CRD's were new and available in the US so you might find it there. I bought my CRD new and sold it in september 2019.

http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=5

JordanLee

TDI
2014 GSW
No I ordered mine from Macradiator whos on here and eBay. A good alternative stateside is Jeff Stevenson now for the pumps. It seems once one dealer undercut the prices for these pumps stateside, everyone is following suit.