What tires are you guys running?

seahawkdodge

TDI
2013 Passat TDI
I have Continental Pure Contact LS tires on now, bought because of ratings, price, warranty, etc. This is my commuter car and so far they have been great. I did not get the certificates, but at around 8000 miles, a damaged beyond repair tire was replaced with new for $30 under factory warranty.

Also, at under 5000miles, my son and I went snowboarding in Flagstaff. It is a 7 mile twisty, climbing mountain road to the ski lodge and the "4x4 or chains required" (I had neither) sign had just turned on due to snow/ice. We got up the hill just fine. Snowed all day, wonderful conditions, but I was worried about getting out. When we got back to the car, I dug out the snow from the front and had my son prepared to push from behind. Turns out that was not needed, as the tires hooked up well and we just motored out. Down the hill at a prudent speed, we passed 2 other vehicles, one with 4wd over the edge. So I guess, at least when relatively new, they worked great in the snow.
These are what I am running now. I like them so far, and a great value per mile.

06bluebeetletdi

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 Passat TDI SEL and '13 Beetle TDI
I’m on my 2nd set of Michelin primacy mxm4s for the passat 18s, the bug has Michelin defenders on 17s since the primacy was discontinued in that size.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG (buyback, RIP), 2014 JSW TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta TDI.
I run Pirelli P7's. I ran many tires since 2010, those are my favorite. Pirelli P7's or NOTHING! all 3 TDI runs them, MPG's are excellent. quiet, good long life. averaging 50-70k miles out of them or more which depends on your driving habits.

eugene89us

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Volkswagen Passat TDI SEL Premium
I go between Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4 (used to be A/S 3+) and Continental Extreme Contact DWS06 Plus. Former has excellent response characteristics, such as nice response to steering input while latter is a little softer and more comfort over rougher roads. Overall, about same lifespan for both. I don't notice any flat spotting with Continentals yet, but time will tell. Considered Bridgestone tires, but still consider Michelins to be the top with Continental close second. Just my experience so far.

Parthery

TDI
2014 Passat TDI
Continental PureContact on mine...but only because VW replaced them after the car sat for 206 days waiting for parts and they were flatspotted from not moving. They seem fine so far.

Reactions: Ton

Dalon

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 MKV Jetta TDI 1.9L - 237k 2013 Passat TDI - 31k
Falken 660’s in 255/35/18. Incredible grip and cornering capabilities, steering feels very direct and responsive as well. Definitely wouldn’t recommend for everyone though

Reactions: Ton

lemcc

TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
I run Pirelli P7's. I ran many tires since 2010, those are my favorite. Pirelli P7's or NOTHING! all 3 TDI runs them, MPG's are excellent. quiet, good long life. averaging 50-70k miles out of them or more which depends on your driving habits.
Same here. Pirelli P7. They hold up well and ride great. Can't complain!

Last edited:

Zambee500

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat TDI GLS, 2014 NMS Passat TDI SEL Premium
Well you Pirelli P7 fans convinced me. Just had P7 "AS Plus 3" version installed today. Discount Tire was running stackable promotions/discounts and managed to get $235 off a set of 4. And from a lower starting price point than any of the Michelins.

The Sumitomo set that the VW dealership put on coming out of dieselgate were the worst/loudest tires I've ever had in my life. Terrible. They still had quite a bit of life left on them, but I just couldn't take it any more.

I've only driven the car the 2 miles home from the shop, half of which is residential, and the ride is noticeably better already. Can't wait to take it out on the highway.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I've had the same experience with Sumitomos. Start off fine, but get really loud after a while.

Yesterday I dropped off the Nokian Entyres I just bought with the 15" wheels for my GSW at my guru for mounting and balancing. Looking forward to seeing how the car rides with 15s.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
entyres 2.0? I wonder of those were blow outs of the last stock of the russian made plant.

We've bought 3 sets (2012 passat went back to VW with a half worn pair) I have them on the wife's passat and the Alltrack for summer tires. I got about 50K out of the Alltracks and they are about done, they show 0% for water traction and about 3/32 left of tred, I may run them through the spring (after i get a sticker next week with the studded winters lol). They started out great quiet but after about 40K they started to get a bit nosiy from cupping, that might by my fault for not rotating or getting alingments done enough.

Im looking at something different for the Alltracks next shoues, Bridgestone Turanza quitetrack look nice but darn they are costly.

x1800MODMY360x

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
I have Pirelli P7 for almost a year now, rotated them every 5k miles. I like the tires, still got lots of tread left and stop good on water here.

I had Giti tires when I got the car, they were great but my tire shop didn't carry them.

jaberoo

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SEL silver
After years of mounting and demounting winter tires, I decided to go with Nokian G4 all-seasons. We didn't have a lot of big snowfalls this winter but, in what we had, the Nokians performed well.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I like the G4s. Got a set for my Golf late last year. They're quiet, handle well, and I'm getting good FE with them. And they make sense here in MA these years, where we really don't get that much snow anymore.

I got Nokian Entyres for my GSW a couple weeks ago. I like those, too. Nokians seem to be a good value these days.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
I've been running Bridgestone Ecopias on my JSW for the last 100k miles. Saw a boost in mpg switching over. Although I did notice that my front end is vastly out of alignment since getting some body work done. Time for my annual oil change, so will get an alignment at that same time.

tristan81491

TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
Ran P7's on my Passat and my old MK6 Golf. Excellent tires w/ good quietness and decent wear life for the price, especially when they go on sale from discounttires.com for ~$690 for a set including tax and shipping.

Recently, I switched to 16" wheels to get a little more comfort but the P7's were out of stock after I already ordered them so discounttires.com sent me Yokohomo Avid Ascend GT's which have been pretty quiet and comfortable with the much larger sidewall that the stock 18" but have only a few thousand miles on them so don't have too much info on them

NSTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Passat
Michelin X Ice works for me, but if you travel in mountains I’d suggest something that can be studded.
My summers are 18’s, I like skinny for winters so use tall 16’s for winters, actually a little taller than my 18’s.

watatrp

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta tdi (gone) 2013 Passat SEL TDI
Michelin X Ice works for me, but if you travel in mountains I’d suggest something that can be studded.
My summers are 18’s, I like skinny for winters so use tall 16’s for winters, actually a little taller than my 18’s.
I'm running the same X Ice tires on 17's. Couldn't find 16's at the time I put them on. Running the Michelin Crossclimate+ on 18's during the warmer months. I like the Crossclimate+ as they are more of a 3 season tire for me just in case I don't get my snow tires on in time.

lemcc

TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
Nice. I've currently got Continental Wintercontacts on a set of 17 inch wheels. Tires have plenty of tread but they just finished up their 6th winter. Thinking this summer/fall I'll have to get a replacement just due to age. Ive been torn between the blizzacks and x-ice.

dieseldonato

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 jetta
I've ran both Firestone and Bridgestone snow tires, both studded on various front wheel drive and smaller all wheel drive cars and cross over suv. I prefer the Firestone winter force, but buy whatever is cheaper at the time I need them. I've never been a fan of Michelin tires from some bad experiences with a set on an old truck.

bigsexyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'98 NB, '04 Jetta
How about - what winter tires are you guys running?
My original response to this thread was the Toyo Celsius which is a really good all season with snow performance.

Toyo has now launched the Celsius II and my recommendation has now switched to that. All around great performance with fantastic snow traction to boot.