Reliability

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
We’ve decided to resurrect my ALH Golf it going to be 6200 in front end body work but I’ll get 2300 from insurance and I’m refinancing my home so I’ll skip a payment so I’ll really only be out 1700. Gonna get an r32 bumper and glass hella headlights and a black badge less grill.
Good choice. There's nothing like a MKIV. And although the car won't be worth what you have in it, you'll enjoy it.

One suggestion: Consider having the whole car repainted. After 19 years it may be difficult to match color, and having fresh paint on the whole car will be really nice. I made that choice with my '99.5 when it really only needed the front clip repainted, and am glad I did, even though it was expensive.

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf TDI GLS
I’ve had 1/2 the car repainted already so paint is in pretty nice condition. Gonna have new headliner put in too.

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf TDI GLS
Ibw I’m going to be buying a new drivers side wiring harness from aarodriguez are you familiar with the harness and the headlights from EUROPE verses usa? Are they 10 pin both places? Some have fogs and some don’t. I will most likely just get a USA headlight and swap on a glass lens to be sure harness will fit? Or I have found a euro hella headlamp with glass lens but need to be sure harness’s are the same? Thanks

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
I'm sitting at about 145k miles on my 10 JSW. Bought new with about 100 miles on it. Most of those were what I put on for my test drive. Only major expense was replacing the mechtroics unit for leaking fluid around 120k. I think the only miles we've put about 100 mile on it since mid March when the world shutdown. The fix dropped mileage a little, but then so did my wife starting to use it as her dd in heavier city traffic. Since the fix, I'd guess that it's getting around 32 mpg.

ttcheung

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 TDI Sportwagen 6MT
I have a 2011 with about 194k miles. The previous owner drove it up and down CA and racked up 136k when he sold it to me in 2016. My experience has been pretty pain-free, and I have exercised the Dieselgate warranty a few times now (glow plug and DPF replacement). I have a Kerma tune that retains all emissions hardware, and the car gets about 45mpg. The powertrain has been trouble-free (knock on wood), I change the oil every 10k, with fuel filter ever 20k. I will need to replace the brake pads / rotors in the near future, as I see ridges on the rotors now.

Overall, the car is very reliable to me, and I will continue driving it.

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
I have a 2011 with about 194k miles.
My experience has been pretty pain-free, and I have exercised the Dieselgate warranty a few times now (glow plug and DPF replacement). I have a Kerma tune that retains all emissions hardware, and the car gets about 45mpg.
Overall, the car is very reliable to me, and I will continue driving it.
Great to hear. About what mile did the glow plug go? Sounds like my 2011, been great to me with exact warrantee work as yours, even just did the Kerma. Do you smog test? With or w/o Kerma tune?

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
On these cars, it seems to be one plug at a time. Maybe it has to do with the fact that the plugs are also the injectors. I forgot, VW replaced one of those on mine too.