Brake job gone bad - slider bolt receiver stripped!!

JoshWagen

Veteran Member
TDI
Current: '15 GSW, '11 A3 Former: '13 JSW, 99.5 Jetta
Hi all - car is on the jack and not coming off any time soon unless I figure this out. I'm doing the brake job and putting everything back together, and man, this slider bolt really isn't going back in. Turns out the receiving end is stripped!! Oh no.

I guess my only option is buy the big receiving piece that holds the caliper? Anyone have any bright ideas? Thanks!

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur
To each their own, but I prefer to use a Thread Sert vs. a heli coil on something as important as a brake item.
Never had an issue with a properly installed heli-coil. :D

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
Joshwagen, is it the rear that stripped?
The plates are cheap and easy compared to replacing the front.

I wouldn't be to apprehensive about a helicoil if you know what you are doing.

JoshWagen

Veteran Member
TDI
Current: '15 GSW, '11 A3 Former: '13 JSW, 99.5 Jetta
Hey all - thanks for the help! It was actually the front that was stripped, so I ended up going with the Dorman oversize bolt. Super easy fix. Funny thing is I pulled the second brake off and, lo and behold, both bolts are oversized replacements. I know that's not ideal, but they felt solid and I don't plan to ever take the calipers off again.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
With a heli-coil you have room for going over-size in the future should there be a problem. I was concerned with going this route and had ordered up a new knuckle; the new knuckle was slow in coming so I decided to just give the heli-coil a shot- it worked fine; so now I have a new knuckle for a future need.

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
With a heli-coil you have room for going over-size in the future should there be a problem. I was concerned with going this route and had ordered up a new knuckle; the new knuckle was slow in coming so I decided to just give the heli-coil a shot- it worked fine; so now I have a new knuckle for a future need.
Or use this as a perfect oportunity to buy VR6/1.8T knuckles and fit the larger front brakes, :D

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Or use this as a perfect oportunity to buy VR6/1.8T knuckles and fit the larger front brakes, :D
After doing my second complete suspension refresh for the year I'm wanting to have nothing to do with popping a knuckle!:eek: (that's why I was relieved to have had the heli-coil job work.)

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
After doing my second complete suspension refresh for the year I'm wanting to have nothing to do with popping a knuckle!:eek: (that's why I was relieved to have had the heli-coil job work.)
LOL, aww come on, its not that hard, ;)

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
LOL, aww come on, its not that hard, ;)
Yeah, says the guy who felt sorry that I had to work on a concrete floor doing the suspension on the wagon (and not being able to use a lift):D Recall that the garage is new; the work on the wife's car was out in the open, on an uneven gravely surface. (and I'm old!)