Who has the longest commute?

Sweeps

Veteran Member
TDI
None currently. MK4/5/6 Jetta's in the past.
Who here has the longest commute?

I'm not talking people who use their TDI's for courier or drive for work, just the guys who drive the longest to get to work.

Just asking...I drive 100km ( 62 miles ) each way 5 days a week ( when I am not travelling which is about 8 weeks a year )
But next year it is probably going to be about 140km ( 87 miles ) each way.

Anybody else go farther???
I know people go farther than that.

Happy Commuting!

Last edited:

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
First Brian, you need to have a talk with your wife.

Second too bad Thermographer isn't on the road all the time anymore. He had commutes of 1000+ miles. Of course he wasn't home at night, so I don't think that counts.

BrianCT

Top Post Dawg
TDI
TDI
Last winter it was 204km [127 miles] one way or 408km a day round trip
:eek:

Brian

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
Sweeps said:
I'm not talking people who use their TDI's for courier or drive for work, just the guys who drive the longest to get to work.
Darn it, I was just about to report that my commute is a 5-second walk to my car, where I clock in for work. My workday starts and ends in my driveway.

Sweeps

Veteran Member
TDI
TornadoRed said:
Darn it, I was just about to report that my commute is a 5-second walk to my car, where I clock in for work. My workday starts and ends in my driveway.
I guess I can let everyone play!

What do you actually do T red to rack up those miles?

daBooj

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GLS, 2004, could only find silver
I'm at 50 miles. We're thinking of going to Korea for a year. If so, that would mean a year without having to drive to work.

Bliss.

I love my tdi, can't afford to drive anything else. It's fun to drive.

But if I didn't have to drive it 100 miles every stinking day, both the environment and I would be much happier.

BKmetz

Administrator, Member #10
Staff member
TDI
2015 Passat, titanium beige, 6MT
I'm at 145 miles per day for my round trip work commute.

I know I've read posts in the past from a few guys who can beat that.

daedalus

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Variant TDI Black w/Gray
Time or distance?

My distance is only about 42 miles, one way.

Travel time on the morning run is 1.25 to 1.5 hours - and it rots! I can make it home, if I leave early enough, in 48 minutes.

New theme: blow up the bridges from PA to NJ. Then it would be 48 minutes each way!

unL33T

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS TDI
I think mine is about 50km if I actually go from home to my school (where I also work). Quite often I go between my gf's and school/work though which is about double that.

Cruise control at 140km/h gets me to school in the morning in about 20 minutes :)

kromicacid

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL - Fixed
I go 65 miles one way each day I have to go into the office, which is about 3-4 days a week. Those are the good days, because when im not going to the office im covering my region, which covers Southern NY - Cape May NJ - Lancaster PA - Poconos PA.

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
daBooj said:
I'm at 50 miles. We're thinking of going to Korea for a year. If so, that would mean a year without having to drive to work.

Bliss.

I love my tdi, can't afford to drive anything else. It's fun to drive.

But if I didn't have to drive it 100 miles every stinking day, both the environment and I would be much happier.
I'm with daBooj on this one. The less we drive the better off we all are. If you can't reduce your commute than reduce the amount of cars on the road by carpooling with neighbors and/or coworkers.

shaark92

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta, manual. '12 Jetta, DSG
Save for the travelling salesman & maybe BrianCT (are you still @ 127?) ... Gotcha all.

108 miles one - way.

Primary reason, too, for my getting a TDI.

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
105-110 km (depending on route I take) each way, each day (5 per week). That's 65-69 miles. Like most of you, primary justification for a TDI. And winter here being what winter here is, with ESP as well. Normally it takes me 1h05-1h20 in the morning (depending on speed and how early I manage to get up, I typically leave the house at 05h20), and 1h20-1h40 in the evening (for some reason I never manage to leave the office early enough to beat the traffic).

It's a lot of time; I'd like us to move but my wife has a medical practice in our rural community. Because she often needs to head out to the hospital in the middle of the night, we live 8 minutes from the hospital and over an hour from my job :(

To think I gave up a job 12 minutes away because it was boring...at least I now enjoy what I do.

ErikR

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI pk2 5-spd Black/Black
78 miles each way, Might not be the longest but it's from Holbrook NY to Nutey NJ so I have a battle on my hands every day/both ways.

Still don't have the TDI yet, Chris F @ Langhorne is getting me one but the wait is killing me and my wallet.

Sweeps

Veteran Member
TDI
PlaneCrazy said:
It's a lot of time; I'd like us to move but my wife has a medical practice in our rural community. Because she often needs to head out to the hospital in the middle of the night, we live 8 minutes from the hospital and over an hour from my job :(

To think I gave up a job 12 minutes away because it was boring...at least I now enjoy what I do.
Same here, my Fiance works 4 minutes from home, and can't really move out of the area, I love my job, but need to get to the big city to do it. Don't mind the drive really, just don't like the traffic in the afternoons!

fitzski

Veteran Member
TDI
Uh... hmm... Well, none...
Wow - these are some wild numbers. I thought I had it "bad" at ~40km each way.

I find it's not the distance though, so much as it is the time. I am able to car pool with my wife, as her office is right on the way to mine. But this also restricts the schedule, as between the two of us, we have to be at the office between certain hours. Consequently, we can't leave quite as early as we'd like. As a result, my 40km commute is typically 40mins, and easily up to an hour because of traffic. Schools are out soon, and I get 2 months of smooth sailing as half the city goes on holidays.

I'd happily do a 100km commute if I could just sit with the cruise on and listen to the Phatbox.

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
The time doesn't bother me all that much unless I'm in a rush to get somewhere.

I have three boys at home. All three play-and practice-three musical instruments each, every day. If it's not viola/violin (anyone know how awful a violin can sound when a novice practises?), it's piano (jazz/classical) or worse, heavy metal. All evening, every evening.

You have no IDEA how much I love the peace and quiet of my TDI!!! I only listen to the radio in the car to hear the traffic reports then I switch it off.

daedalus

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Variant TDI Black w/Gray
PlaneCrazy said:
I have three boys at home. All three play-and practice-three musical instruments each, every day. If it's not viola/violin (anyone know how awful a violin can sound when a novice practises?), it's piano (jazz/classical) or worse, heavy metal. All evening, every evening.

You have no IDEA how much I love the peace and quiet of my TDI!!! I only listen to the radio in the car to hear the traffic reports then I switch it off.
You need a much longer commute! :)

KROUT

persona non grata
150 mile round trip 6 days a week. Thats why I bought a tdi and why I upgraded to a 6 speed.

andrewc

Veteran Member
TDI
none :( ....(gone) 98 NB 6spd
KROUT said:
150 mile round trip 6 days a week. Thats why I bought a tdi and why I upgraded to a 6 speed.
For me,
160 mile round trip 5 days a week. Thats why I bought a tdi and why I upgraded to a 6 speed...too!

Last edited:

beta k

TDI
2003 Golf TDI
I drive about 25 miles to and from work (50 mi. round trip) each day. Doesn't sound like a lot, but it can take me forever to get to and from work (stop n' go, stop n' go). dabooj has a commute that's twice as long as mine, but it takes us the same amount of time on the road. who spends the most amount of time per mileage driven would be interesting to see.

thermographer

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GL, 2004 Wheat/Beige with Automatic Tiptronic, ESP
whitedog said:
Second too bad Thermographer isn't on the road all the time anymore. He had commutes of 1000+ miles. Of course he wasn't home at night, so I don't think that counts.
552 miles from the house to the helipad or back, every 14 days.

I'm still not home every night, but I'm home alot more. Next month, I'm going to start carpooling with a guy from Clarksville, AR. We are taking MY car.:D

K5ING

Mega-Miler
TDI
Silver 2001 Golf GL TDI 5-speed
Too bad. For the first two years I had my Golf TDI, it was doing 450 miles per day, 5 days a week. I guess that would make it a 225 mile commute each way, eh?