low power (long running mystery problem!)

cocteau104

TDI
2005 Passat GLS TDI Variant; 2002 Golf TDI 5-spd (RIP)
So, I know I've been creating tons of posts on this board, but my car is a little finnicky. Last spring, on my way to Connecticut, the car suddenly stopped being able to accelerate above 65 MPH once warm. I took it to the dealer, they replaced the turbo and intake manifold under warranty. No more cutting out in power, but power in general seemed to be down. Took it back, and they changed the EGR sensor. My warranty has since run out and the car's power is intermittently lower than it should be.

Now, I shift early but have since abandoned the practice. I don't thik my engine's problem is crud in the manifold because it was recently replaced (although it doesn't look new). I don't think it's the MAF sensor ebcause I don't have the drastic symptoms that are associated with that issue. Still, I don't know what it is.

I don't have the sudden cut in power around 4K rpm that the car had when it was new, and I don't have quite the low/mid RPM shove that I used to have either. I feel like the boost is low. What could it be?

Also, I've lost two or three MPG. Please advise.

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
Try to find someone with a Vag-Com to log your MAF readings... it's a likely candidate...

BTW: how's your timing??? Vag-Com can check this as well...

(OldPoopie's in Hoboken... perhaps you can meet for a donut sometime...)

Yuri.

jaydhall

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SE, 1999 NB, 1999.5 Jetta GLS, 2004 Jetta
You could try the simple MAF test. Unplug it. Power up? Bad MAF. Power down? Other problems.

jaydhall

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SE, 1999 NB, 1999.5 Jetta GLS, 2004 Jetta
Get it vagged. Smoking at all? Perhaps plugged intake? N75 could be a problem. Vacuum line leaks. Vag should spot it. Good luck!

tadc

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf GLS TDI, '01, Black
Still could be the MAF. It's fairly cheap and very easy to replace... also N75, bad grounds, burned MAF connector contacts are possible.

You might try mentioning what kind of car it is and how many miles.

cocteau104

TDI
tadc said:
Still could be the MAF. It's fairly cheap and very easy to replace... also N75, bad grounds, burned MAF connector contacts are possible.

You might try mentioning what kind of car it is and how many miles.
what's a "n75"? Wouldnt all the problems you mentioned result in an MIL light?

btcost

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 JSW, '00 Jetta (totaled 12/23/10), 1987 M-B 300D
cocteau104 said:
unfortunalty no.

sounds like the MAF. mine did the same, not total failure but in and out/ weird, slowly progressed into terrible.

is your care driveable now? are you still in Queens? come to the RI GTG next saturday! we will solve as many issues as possible!

Brian

MileageDude

Veteran Member
cocteau104 said:
N75 Threads are all over the board. You could also have a vacuum hose leak or an EGR Valve failure not seen on VAG com.

You could try manually moving your actuator on the Turbo Charger [VNT Actuator], the rod that actuates the turbo itself. Try moving it up and down and see if the vanes open and close on the turbo. If these are gunked up... there will be no boost.

cocteau104

TDI
btcost said:
is your care driveable now? are you still in Queens? come to the RI GTG next saturday! we will solve as many issues as possible!
You have no idea how much I appreciate the offer and how much I'd like to join all of you, but I work on Saturday from 12 until 8. Is there a different time I could meet up with fellow TDI'ers?