www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > General Automotive

General Automotive General automotive discussion. This is intended to be a discussion about other not VW and Diesel cars you may have or interested in.

Old Today, 09:25   #6016
kjclow
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 55 max / 44 avg on beetle ~37 on JSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotarykid View Post
Full EV tec is still at least a decade or two from becoming anything more than a feel good option for mostly the well off & rich's play thing. Or governments tool to give excuse to again have their feel good option in the fleet.
This will be the way it is for likely the rest of the time I am driving for the next ~4 decades or so....cheap oil for the forseeable future guarantees this outcome.....
This will not change until coal & other fossil fueled power generation, tail pipe shifting is ended in favor of use of battery lakes & similar energy storage is made wide spread for solar & wind power generation storage becomes the main way these things are charged.
The many 35-55+ mpgUS vw/audi/toyota/nissan/Isuzu/chevy/ect... diesel cars & small pickups like the many I've owned over last 40+ years of clocking millions of very fuel efficient/fuel sipping miles were far cleaner than anythig gasoline powered from any era or any of these currently coal powered/jet engine grid fast response power along with all of the fossil fueled tail pipe shifting full EV's of today...
Get back to me when oil prices are finally set above $100 a barrel, current prices make all electric options nothing more than a government mandated option no one really wants in the real world. .....
During the last shutdown to prevent virus spread gas hit below $1 a gal at many stations....
....When we start to loose the exstreme numbers of people again to this virus soon, in a couple weeks gas prices will see this crash again....with the record case numbers of covid-19 increasing/ records set daily we are heading for , crashing us towards full icu's across the south & the west. Towards another full shutdown again, not many car buyers of any sort out there right, electrics are a even harder sell now....
I'll add to your comments that come August/September, fuel prices will shift depending on whether or not the kids return full time to school. If the kids stay home, then all that diesel stored for the busses will have to be sold somewhere. I guess the possibility is that the refineries do not scale up diesel production assuming no school and get caught flat footed. The diesel prices will skyrocket as volume is moved from consumer sales to running busses. My crystal ball broke many years ago!
Old Today, 10:06   #6017
turbobrick240
Veteran Member

Yeah, we might as well throw darts at a board to determine where oil prices are going in the next year or two. I picked up some shares in a solar ETF (TAN) back in March. They have been an absolute workhorse thus far. Really on a tear today.
turbobrick240 is offline   Reply With Quote