Camshaft Seal-Timing Belt and a Dealer

moon1234

TDI
2015 Passat SE TDI 6MT, 2015 Audi A3 Premium Plus TDI DSG
Went in to Zimbrick VW in Middleton, WI for an oil change with 70K on a 2015 Passat TDI 6MT. Tech noted car was leaking oil from Camshaft seal. Car is CPO (Also covered under Emissions Warranty).

Asked service advisor to ask tech how bad of a leak. Tech said he would NOT go on a 200 mile trip with the car. Setup time to have problem fixed.

I told service advisor since they essentially have to do a timing belt service I would like the water pump, tensioner and all pulley's and parts that would normally be done with a timing belt service done at the same time. I know it's early, but this would put me out to 200k before needing to be done again. Advisor said I would need to pay for any parts and time that VW wouldn't normally cover with the camshaft seal. Quoted me $500 dollars give or take a few dollars.

Fast forward three days later (They apparently needed to order some parts). My wife drops the rental off and picks up the Passat. I was driving the A3 TDI and she wanted the SUV. When I look at the invoice they replaced ONLY the water pump on my dime. I don't see line items for the tensioner, pulleys and other parts that normally are done with a timing belt service.

I am royally pissed. This dealer normally charges $1650 for camshaft seal replacement/timing belt WITHOUT the water pump and related items.

If the tensioner and pulleys were NOT replaced, which I assume they were not since their not on the bill, how long are they going to last? Will these items realistically make it to 200K?

They also billed TWO hours of time to replace the water pump. If the car is torn apart already does it really take 2 hours to replace the water pump? I watched a few videos online and it looks like it takes about 15 minutes. Are there other steps that I am missing here?

What can they do now about the tensioner and idler pulleys? I am going to assume this is another major job to tear it all apart to replace these items.

What would you do? It's independence day tomorrow so they are closed. Have to wait until Monday to call.

Last edited:

06bluebeetletdi

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 Passat TDI SEL and '13 Beetle TDI
Yikes, was the conversation over the phone or by text / email? A quick search on 1stvwparts.com shows about $600 in parts for the timing belt, 2 rollers, tensioner, water pump and coolant without any labor. I would go by the dealership and speak to the advisor and service manager. I had a similar situation with my '14 passat when the water pump failed under the powertrain warranty and covered the timing belt and serpentine belt in coolant. The tensioner and rollers were over $300.

moon1234

TDI
2015 Passat SE TDI 6MT, 2015 Audi A3 Premium Plus TDI DSG
Yikes, was the conversation over the phone or by text / email? A quick search on 1stvwparts.com shows about $600 in parts for the timing belt, 2 rollers, tensioner, water pump and coolant without any labor. I would go by the dealership and speak to the advisor and service manager. I had a similar situation with my '14 passat when the water pump failed under the powertrain warranty and covered the timing belt and serpentine belt in coolant. The tensioner and rollers were over $300.
Conversation was in person, with a follow up (Twice) over the phone. I am going to have to go in tomorrow and complain. I don’t think I am going to have any work done there anymore. I bought the call at hall in Milwaukee. I called them and asked. They said they always bring customers out to their car and point out the problems in person if the customer wants to see. Then recommend a full service TB change.