Status hearing w/ Judge is F 12/16 - check this link for transcript of meeting

jking11

TDI
14-Touareg & 14-Q5
Settlement...

Gen1: model yeas 2009-12, VW Tourag and Audi Q7. 20k cars
Gen1 owners have options: buyback or a fix (*if* approved.)

Gen2: all remaining 3L diesels: VW, Audi and Porsche.
60k Gen 2 cars.

Gen2 cars can be made fully emissions compliant, VW says, so it wont be required to buy them back.

If VW cannot fix Gen2 cars, all owners will have buyback option.

I am pleased to report that PSC and VW have agreed on substantial actions of relief. FTC supports it, pending resolution of other issues.

Plaintiffs and VW have agreed payment of substantial compensation to car owners. No details.

Breyer schedules a telephone conference *this Thursday* for remaining issues.

MBQ

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI 4Dr DSG
As expected.

Question remaining: What's the formula to do the calculations on compensation?

CSR Penfab

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Touareg Lux Tdi
Plaintiffs and VW have agreed payment of substantial compensation to car owners. No details...

Pisses me off that there's no buyback for Gen 2 3.0's. Unless VW can't propose a valid fix...

KipF

TDI
2013 Q7 TDI
"Plaintiffs and VW have agreed payment of substantial compensation to car owners." I wonder if that applies to all 3.0 cars or just what they are calling the Gen 1 cars. All of us suffered diminished value because of this.

Last edited:

LowSeas

TDI
'13 Touareg Lux - Cool Silver
In a total knee-jerk reaction and without knowing really any details, being an Gen 2 owner, it seems like I might opt out and file suit on my own.

14q7tdi

TDI
q7
Settlement...

Gen1: model yeas 2009-12, VW Tourag and Audi Q7. 20k cars
Gen1 owners have options: buyback or a fix (*if* approved.)

Gen2: all remaining 3L diesels: VW, Audi and Porsche.
60k Gen 2 cars.

Gen2 cars can be made fully emissions compliant, VW says, so it wont be required to buy them back.

I am pleased to report that PSC and VW have agreed on substantial actions of relief. FTC supports it, pending resolution of other issues.

Plaintiffs and VW have agreed payment of substantial compensation to car owners. No details.

Breyer schedules a telephone conference *this Thursday* for remaining issues.
Wow, this is about as clear as mud. What another waste of time.

"We're not buying back Gen 2 cars, we can fix them. But if we can't, we'll buy them back." Well can you or can't you? This is the biggest stall tactic ever. If you haven't proved you can fix them by now, you can't. Buy the damn cars back.

jking11

TDI
14-Touareg & 14-Q5
From Patrick, "Court in recess. That's it. Basically no details, no surprises. A settlement was reached, but that's it. Big whoop."

Now I guess we hope to get some details on Thursday. And wait even longer on CARB and EPA to figure out if they agree VW can fix them.

CSR Penfab

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Touareg Lux Tdi
Wow, this is about as clear as mud. What another waste of time.
"We're not buying back Gen 2 cars, we can fix them. But if we can't, we'll buy them back." Well can you or can't you? This is the biggest stalling tactic ever. If you haven't proved you can fix them by now, you can't. Buy the damn cars back.
Exactly right. VW sold me my 2016 3.0 a week after the scandal broke, saying it didn't involve the 3.0's. Flat out fraud! They knew the 3.0's were affected. Buy it back!

LowSeas

TDI
Has anyone retained an attorney for this yet? Care to share details or their reactions? If no buyback is being offered, it seems that might be the best choice.

bird67

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg TDI*

The devil is in the details, always. We still don't know anything. So I will try not to condemn our class counsel for caving in. But at first blush I can say that what I hate about this deal is the implication that VW is trustworthy when it says it has a "fix." VW's conduct throughout has not earned that trust (anyone seen the promised 2.0 fix yet?).

Among the questions that must be answered:

- How much time does VW have to finalize and start implementing its "fix"?

- Once VW starts implementing its "fix," how much time will Gen2 owners have to decide whether to submit to it or not? Many of us will want to wait and see if the fix has undesirable consequences of any type.

- How much will VW bribe us to submit our Gen2 TDI's to the fix?

- Will the fix extend our existing warranties?

- Will the fix come with new warranties on associated systems?

Others? Please add.

jking11

TDI
14-Touareg & 14-Q5
Good job Bird...

'I can see that analogy. I can also see, and fear, that VW is led by master poker players who, even after being "pot committed", are betting/bluffing that class counsel will accept 80% of full compensation now rather than go to trial and risk getting 50% from Judge Breyer. Remember, this is set up to be a bench trial before Breyer, who knows the negotiations intimately. A bench trial weakens the likelihood of a verdict that would punish VW with money that differs markedly from what is already on the table. This lessens VW's fear of trial and puts pressure on class counsel to take "the bird in hand."
I agree, it's unlikely that today's announcement will be kicking the can down the road yet again. We ought to have something substantive to discuss by day's end."

You killed it with everything but that last sentence!:)

14q7tdi

TDI
q7
"Plaintiffs and VW have agreed payment of substantial compensation to car owners. No details."

Please define "substantial". If you came to an agreement, you know what the number is.

bird67

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg TDI*
'I can see that analogy. I can also see, and fear, that VW is led by master poker players who, even after being "pot committed", are betting/bluffing that class counsel will accept 80% of full compensation now rather than go to trial and risk getting 50% from Judge Breyer. Remember, this is set up to be a bench trial before Breyer, who knows the negotiations intimately. A bench trial weakens the likelihood of a verdict that would punish VW with money that differs markedly from what is already on the table. This lessens VW's fear of trial and puts pressure on class counsel to take "the bird in hand."
I agree, it's unlikely that today's announcement will be kicking the can down the road yet again. We ought to have something substantive to discuss by day's end."

You killed it with everything but that last sentence!:)
I know. I suck. :p

To make up for it, here's a link to a photo of our plaintiff steering committee representative, standing outside the courtroom, proudly proclaiming victory.

http://www.history.com/s3static/vid...ush_Mission_Accomplished_SF_still_624x352.jpg

Mission accomplished, indeed.

visortgw

Veteran Member
TDI
None: 2012 JSW with Sunroof (traded pre-scandal); 2014 JSW with Sunroof/Nav (early lease termination 12/17/2016)
How long did it take after an agreement for the details of the buyback and compensation to be released for the 2.0s?
About 3 months. There were many rumors, but details changed "evolved" along the way, especially for lessees...

MBQ

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI 4Dr DSG
The devil is in the details, always. We still don't know anything. So I will try not to condemn our class counsel for caving in. But at first blush I can say that what I hate about this deal is the implication that VW is trustworthy when it says it has a "fix." VW's conduct throughout has not earned that trust (anyone seen the promised 2.0 fix yet?).

Among the questions that must be answered:

- How much time does VW have to finalize and start implementing its "fix"?

- Once VW starts implementing its "fix," how much time will Gen2 owners have to decide whether to submit to it or not? Many of us will want to wait and see if the fix has undesirable consequences of any type.

- How much will VW bribe us to submit our Gen2 TDI's to the fix?

- Will the fix extend our existing warranties?

- Will the fix come with new warranties on associated systems?

Others? Please add.
Most likely, they won't have a fix for all the 3.0Ls. VW was supposed to have sunmitted the fix for gen 2.2 cars on 10/25, but likely was rejected by CARB/EPA, yet again.

All the 3.0Ls will have a buyback option, eventually.

jking11

TDI
14-Touareg & 14-Q5
I was just checking dates. It looks like the agreement for 2.0L's was announced at the status conference on April 21. On the court website I found a statement saying owners could check exact buyback amounts on July 26. So, three months sounds right!

KipF

TDI
2013 Q7 TDI
No $ figure for the people who are actually damaged, but $225M fee for "environmental remediation" and a $25M payment to CARB. This is in addition to what VAG already agreed to pay for the 2.0 cars.

pwe312

TDI
2001 VW Golf
Great.... Now I gotta debate if I should buy another car to replace my 2012 touareg now to avoid totalling it or paying for any more maintenance. 3 months is a long time to basically pay for a $30k car to sit in my driveway. It's even longer and more expensive for all of you with a gen 2.

Hopefully VW learned something from the 2.0 process and can make this go quicker.

LowSeas

TDI
Per Patrick: Re VW 3L: details on compensation expected *late January*.
Thursday's hearing just to confirm details sorted, but not to make public.

Please tell me how this is different than just another, longer delay? Why are we in the 13th month of this for the 3.0L and still don't have answers for the consumers?

jlw2000

TDI
2013 Touareg TDI Sport
I may sell my '13 Sport with 85k miles and take what I can get for it. Take wherever I can get from VW following. I'm not counting on a buyback at this point.

Or - contact a lawyer and go for a buyback as an individual outside of the class action.

Either way I want out. Not sure which way to go.

LowSeas

TDI
If you are unhappy with the new from today, let the plaintiffs' attorney know. This is far from over so there is still time for change. Google VW steering committee and you can come up with several of the 22 attorneys appointed to represent all of us as owners. Email them and let them know you want a buyback fro all 80k cars.

bird67

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg TDI*
I may sell my '13 Sport with 85k miles and take what I can get for it. Take wherever I can get from VW following. I'm not counting on a buyback at this point.

Or - contact a lawyer and go for a buyback as an individual outside of the class action.

Either way I want out. Not sure which way to go.
I haven't understood the logic of the first option, expressed by many 2.0 folks and now for we 3.0 folks. I don't mean to criticize. But what is the likelihood of having an accident with the TDI between now and final resolution? Probably pretty small - many of us go years and years without having any accidents - let alone one serious enough to total a vehicle. It can always happen, of course, but I don't plan my life and finances around it happening. Comparing the known costs of insuring/registering/maintaining BOTH a TDI in the driveway AND a necessary replacement driver against the lesser amount you would get if you total the vehicle, to me the surer bet is to keep driving your TDI as your daily.

Don't get me wrong, I'm as irrational and impatient for a resolution as any of us and don't intend to criticize. It's just that I don't see the wisdom of paying for a second car whiile I've got this terrific vehicle to drive every day. It sucks having to wait, and I hate that our weasel class counsel sold us out for promises from VW that it has a 3.0 fix (no doubt it does - but at what cost to reliability/efficiency/performance/longevity?) in order to avoid trial on a stipulated liability case. I'm trying to see the dim but still somewhat bright side - so far at least, no one can force me to do anything to my vehicle I don't want to happen.

Now, the other alternative - speaking with a lawyer about bringing a separate lawsuit - that makes rational sense to me. You may, or may not, choose to do so, but having the ability to weigh the pros and cons of a separate lawsuit based on real input from a pro rather than boobs like me on an internet forum is the way to go.

bird67

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg TDI*
If you are unhappy with the new from today, let the plaintiffs' attorney know. This is far from over so there is still time for change. Google VW steering committee and you can come up with several of the 22 attorneys appointed to represent all of us as owners. Email them and let them know you want a buyback fro all 80k cars.
+1 for writing class counsel.

Message: this settlement is a sell-out. Any settlement predicated on VW's promises to "fix" our vehicles is a sell-out. We have no faith in VW delivering a fix that will not hurt efficiency, performance, longevity and reliability. Nor do we have faith that CARB and/or EPA would actually reject VW's next proposed "fix", as those agencies just agreed to take $225 million from VW, creating a conflict of interest for those agencies as the arbiter of whether the proposed "fix" is approved.

az7000'

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI (gone), 2014 Passat TDI (gone), 2014 Touareg TDI (Amazing!)
I just want to know what the payment will be for the "fix" I love the car, wouldn't sell it back anyway!

But good luck to you guys and gals.