When do you think we will hear anything about incentives to stay with VW?

atomicfront

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 VW Jetta wagon tdi
No one's online price includes freight or processing fees; just ask for an OTD price and see what they give you.
When I bought my Jetta Sportwagon the site included freight fees in the discounted price. It is deceptive marketing to not include freight because it is included in the MSRP. So they lie to you as soon as you get their site. I am guessing they will lie to you with their emails, phone calls, and in person. Also I don't know any other dealer that charges 699 processing fee.

bennybmn

Veteran Member
TDI
(Formerly) '11 Jetta 6 speed, Alltrack 6MT
I'm not going to post the exact price here yet but it's way below invoice, plus he said they just got Halloween money to make it even a sweeter deal.
Oh and he also said a lot of dealers some of his customers got quotes from were NOT including the destination charge in the quote for some reason, but were adding it later during the deal, killing the deal
Does your buddy have any more precise info on the arrival dates of the 6MT versions of the Alltrack and 4motion golf wagons?

Got Haggis?

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf DSG
The price I quoted for a Golf Wolfsburg ($18000) did not include freight and dealer charges. Still, that price is $4000 below MSRP and well below invoice. I have seen prices on the internet down into the $17000's. I just wish I was at the point where I could buy it.
where did you get that quote (if you don't mind me asking)?

finny_amour

TDI
2012 JSW TDI
A pp pasted a link to Sheehy VW in Springfield VA. I went on their site and saw many "online deals", so I wrote them and asked for an OTD quote on a Tiguan that I liked. Not so much a "deal" after they add everything back in.

MSRP $~32k
Internet price: $23,745
Freight: $865
Fee: $699
Taxes: $1093.35
Tags: $123
TOTAL: $26,525.35

Meh.

MBQ

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI 4Dr DSG
They always have good prices. I've sent a few friends to them and they got the price listed on the website plus taxes and fees.
I bought my wife a replacement car Friday that is being shipped to us. I found a lease turn-in Audi Q5 TDI with 20k miles at a really good price. It's affected by the scam too, but she loves the Q5 and we couldn't pass up the deal. If they buy it back we'll come out ahead or we'll keep it and get the fix.

Care to share the trims and the price?

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
Says doesn't include 699 processing fee or freight. Seems a rip-off statement right there. I wonder what else they will throw at you when you get to the dealer.
The dealer was recommended at Vortex. It sounded like there were multiple buyers that benefited from the good prices. It wasn't my own search. If I were a buyer at the moment, I think I'd print it and take it to my dealer and see what they said. If they wouldn't play, I think I'd drive to Springfield, VA! of course I'd make some phone calls first, but the new GTI prices look very good.

I'm getting a CP3 HPFP upgrade next week, so I'm not a buyer at the moment.

bennybmn

Veteran Member
TDI
A pp pasted a link to Sheehy VW in Springfield VA. I went on their site and saw many "online deals", so I wrote them and asked for an OTD quote on a Tiguan that I liked. Not so much a "deal" after they add everything back in.

MSRP $~32k
Internet price: $23,745
Freight: $865
Fee: $699
Taxes: $1093.35
Tags: $123
TOTAL: $26,525.35

Meh.
You'd add tax and tags to the 32K price too... plus tax would be on a higher $$ figure.

Philpug

Veteran Member
TDI
Gone but not forgotten
You'd add tax and tags to the 32K price too... plus tax would be on a higher $$ figure.
Plus the freight is added to the MSRP too. We call that comparing apples to apples. Wth the discount being the same from MSRP to discounted price..why not jsut have the Freight in both numbers and just create less confusion and possible dissension.

71sbeetle

Veteran Member
TDI
1971 Super Beetle, 2014 Golf TDI (soon to be 2017 Golf Wolfsburg), 2015 Silverado LT
Yep that's what my friend was telling me, other dealers don't include destination charge in their initial quote they add it later. FYI, my local dealer a few months ago on a $34k sticker Tiguan had a best price of $35.5k out the door lol, I ended up buying the loaded Silverado for the same price!

halfast3

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI DSG
Wouldn't it be better to post a subtotal without the taxes, since they vary depending on location?
Otherwise it's difficult to have a usable apples-to-apples OTD comparison.

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI

I have to say I'm with you on this. You have to add tax and tags to any purchase. The idea is that the Internet price of $23,745 is much less than MSRP ~$32k, ~$8,255 less! That's certainly lower than the invoice price!

71sbeetle

Veteran Member
TDI
1971 Super Beetle, 2014 Golf TDI (soon to be 2017 Golf Wolfsburg), 2015 Silverado LT
I have to say I'm with you on this. You have to add tax and tags to any purchase. The idea is that the Internet price of $23,745 is much less than MSRP ~$32k, ~$8,255 less! That's certainly lower than the invoice price!
I agree, the price he posted was really good lol

bennybmn

Veteran Member
TDI
Wouldn't it be better to post a subtotal without the taxes, since they vary depending on location?
Otherwise it's difficult to have a usable apples-to-apples OTD comparison.
That's exactly why I mentioned it. The tax and title need to be added to the 32K to see how good the 23K deal really is.

I agree, the price he posted was really good lol
Most definitely!

Cincy_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat SE TDI
Those prices are much better than here in Cincinnati. Basically no discounts or very little around here..

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
I just love the threads that start talking about the price of the $%$# car, and then descend into confusion because of the talk of fees, taxes, and the like. Fees CAN vary, taxes are GUARANTEED to vary. Therefore not useful to people reading this kind of thread who are 1. not dealing with that dealer, 2. not living in that state.
The other view is futile, because it states that somehow the final amount of money paid by anyone, anywhere, can somehow be equated. And it can't!
The money paid at the dealership for the car, exclusive of taxes, is relevant. When we bought our Passat, I did it over the Internet, with Suntrup VW in St. Louis. In my e-mail (to them and a bunch of other dealers) I specified: "Your quote must be OUT THE DOOR. No fees, no delivery charges, no nothing extra. If you add one nickel to your quote when we come to pick up the car, we will leave immediately, and NO SALE." No problem. They gave me a quote, I agreed, we picked up the car, and nothing extra was added. The point is that I knew what I was going to be paying beforehand, and could compare it to what others had paid for the same car in this forum.
If sales tax (or, in some places, property tax, highway guardrail tax, soft shoulder tax, whatever) is collected at the dealer, as it may be for in-state sales, then simply exclude it from the post. These expenses may be relevant to the individual in calculating the overall cost of purchasing the car, but only that. Our Passat was bought out of state (in MO), so we paid sales tax when we registered and secured an IL title and plates. Taxes, title, plates, and fuzzy dice hanging from the mirror are not the price of the car, and what I paid is almost certainly different than what most other people paid who are reading this post, so— just don't do it!

k1xv

Veteran Member
TDI
09 TDI sedan, sold back 12/16. Present cars 2013 BMW X5 diesel, 2015 Corvette convertible
How about a free TDi key chain as a remembrance of the car you once were so proud of?

TDIinMA

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW 6MT; Black uni, Cornsilk
This is nothing short of mind-boggling.

Unless there is something planned yet to be announced, it makes no sense. Part of the scandal was dislocating people out of their cars they loved (for the most part). Would it not make logical sense that some replacement would be in order, and not merely compensation? Or at the very least the incentive to purchase said replacement?!

I realize they gave owners a choice, albeit not much of one, but it seems insane to me that there is no plan to retain existing customers affected by this. That they would be either ambivalent or relying on owner loyalty. The only thing I can come up with is that it is part of the sanctions placed on them during the settlement, but I have not read the fine print.

Last edited:

71sbeetle

Veteran Member
TDI
Maybe they're waiting on actual buy backs to start? I was surprised too to be honest

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 Prestige TDI, Monsoon Gray
I have read (most of) the fine print, and I don't see anything stopping them from offering incentives for owners of Dieselgatemobiles. They can't offer an incentive to choose one option over the other, but they can offer whatever they want to all owners. If their (corporate) thinking is "the settlement itself is a generous incentive", they'll likely find themselves disappointed--I can take that buyback cash anywhere else; I don't have to spend it with VW.

fucanay

TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
I have no doubt that there will be some sort of loyalty incentives, it's just a matter of when and what. It would have to be the dumbest move ever for a car company to have this kind of scandal and do nothing to retain the customers that chose to buy from them. It's not like there aren't other choices and other companies that will try to take advantage of this.

TDIinMA

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW 6MT; Black uni, Cornsilk
Perhaps I am naive, but when news of the scandal and settlement first hit my first thought was them giving us all new cars. Wouldn't that make more sense for the bottom line? Put the $15 Billion into replacement CARS, as opposed to cash payouts? Sure, some would choose to opt out and want cash, but why no OPTION?

But I get that there are so many differing scenarios. It wouldn't be easy, but it would be nice if it were an option. A TRADE option, say, and a very streamlined simple process. But I guess some of it hinges on the sales tax the various states will get too.

Last edited:

Philpug

Veteran Member
TDI
Gone but not forgotten
Dealers in SF are already giving 3K off of AllTracks, another couple of K's would make it tough to pass by.

fucanay

TDI
Dealers in SF are already giving 3K off of AllTracks, another couple of K's would make it tough to pass by.
That would do it for me. I'd like one in S trim, platinum gray and black leatherette for around $22.5k and for payment not to be due until my buyback goes through. At that point I could say "no harm, no foul".

IA DPE

TDI
2009 Jetta (sold back 08/18); 2014 Q5 (totaled 12/19😥); 2013 Dodge Cummins
How many here bought their vehicle because it was a VW, vs. because it was a TDI?

I bought mine (my first VW) because I wanted a diesel, and because VW had the most experience (and best reputation) building them.

My point is that since VW is abandoning diesels (at least short term) perhaps they figure diesel buyers want diesels, and VW buyers will stay without incentives...

bubbagumpshrimp

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta TDI
How many here bought their vehicle because it was a VW, vs. because it was a TDI?

I bought mine (my first VW) because I wanted a diesel, and because VW had the most experience (and best reputation) building them.

My point is that since VW is abandoning diesels (at least short term) perhaps they figure diesel buyers want diesels, and VW buyers will stay without incentives...
I'm on my fourth VW. I bought it for 40+ MPG and it being a diesel.

Yup. I don't see them going out of their way to come up with blanket discounts for everyone. What I do see them doing is floating money to the dealers to help provide an incentive to current customers that are considering sticking around. ex. Someone is looking at a car and as a "put them over the hump" move...they float out an additional grand or two discount.

For people like me (would take another VW if they pretty much gave it to me)...they aren't going to waste their time.

fucanay

TDI
We bought ours because my wife wanted a wagon and the 2.5l was gutless and I wouldn't sign off on that. I grew to love the fit and finish and overall quality of the car. The Alltrack has less torque, but to keep that quality level (and the DSG trans), I'd be willing to give it a go. But the deal has to be there.