Volvo Offer For VW TDI Owners

PacCoastFwy923

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE TDI 6-speed manual; 2006 mkV Jetta TDI / 5-speed / Pkg 2
Volvo's offer hooked us. My wife's '15 Passat is parked, and she's in a new Volvo since the end of September.

But first we visited the VW dealer to make sure she didn't want to jump into another Passat, or a CC. Just like what's spelled out in another thread, VW is currently offering zip zero zilch in the way of retention incentives, and the pained look on my salesman's face confirmed it when we briefly talked numbers.

She ended up in a 2016 S60 Inscription Platinum, 19" wheels, Tech & Convenience packages, HK sound, Crystal White paint & a Beechwood interior, pretty well loaded with everything but the Climate Package, all of 19 miles on the odometer.

The Volvo was stickered at $45.7, negotiated down to $37.5, tack on a surprise $1500 in rebates that weren't part of the original negotiation (dealer error?), and 0%/60 mos financing plus the 5 year/50k scheduled maintenance plan.

Considering my wife was coming from a fairly bare bones Passat with the manual transmission, she's thrilled. She hated the VW auto transmissions she drove, but likes the Volvo's (and also liked the VW DSG in the V6 Passat and CC). This is her first automatic.

It's a fun car drive. The interior is top notch, and makes the Passat and CC seem "plasticky." All that's missing vs. the VW are paddle shifters and Android Auto. The 36 MPG highway can't hold a candle to the TDI, but it's not horrible.

Yes, the Inscription version is manufactured in China -- not just assembled there, but actually made of parts sourced from the region -- but I haven't found any owner complaints that create cause for concern. I know Geely didn't buy this company to flush the brand down the toilet, and am confident (from what I've seen) that they've taken Volvo's manufacturing processes and implemented them in their China factory.

Last edited:

showdown 42

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 TDI touareg
This is not a fair comment,but I bgt a 1983 new Volvo turbo wagon that was the worst car I ever owned bar none. I promised I'd never buy another and I haven't. I can't even list all the problems because there were too many. I hope you all have good luck with your new ones. I'm now a german car buyer. Probably the next will be a MB or BMW diesel.

Borsig

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE, 2015 GSW SEL (buyback), 2011 JSW (sold)
Need to go look at volvos. But the dealer is like 80 miles away LOL

HBarlow

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta Sportwagen, 2016 Audi Q5 TDI
OP, that sounds like a great deal on a new car.

I don't have any experience with or knowledge of Volvos but they seem to have a reputation for quality - at least among their fanatical fans.

Once in awhile in the print media I see photos and a story about an ordinary old Volvo coupe or sedan with 500,000 or a million miles on the one owner odometer and a fanatical owner. They must be good cars.

ericy

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI (wife's car)

I don't have any experience with or knowledge of Volvos but they seem to have a reputation for quality - at least among their fanatical fans.
Back in 2002, it was TDI that got me to switch from Volvo to VW. And with the scandal, I went back to Volvo. I went the CPO route - saving even more (more or less an even trade for the TDI to the V60).

I always liked the Volvos that I have owned. Solid comfortable cars. Some people complain about the cost of maintenance, but maintaining VW isn't cheap either.

Borsig

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE, 2015 GSW SEL (buyback), 2011 JSW (sold)
What offs me about the V60 is the halogens. Halogens on a 37K car?

Its hard to find them with HID lights.

Yes it matters when I drive 45 mins to an hour to and from work, on rural deer infested two lanes in the dark 6 mos of the year.

halfast3

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI DSG
Yes it matters when I drive 45 mins to an hour to and from work, on rural deer infested two lanes in the dark 6 mos of the year.
No question. We're also HID (Xenon) fans and have them in both our vehicles. Prior to that I installed euro-spec halogens, aux lighting and the like. It must be said that not all halogens are created equal. Some are pretty darn good; others ...meh. I've seen some HIDs which didn't impress either.
These days you can also install aftermarket HID fog lights to fill in the critical shoulder areas.

Last edited:

PacCoastFwy923

Veteran Member
TDI

Agreed. The S60 Inscription is available in only two trims, Premier (with halogens standard) or Platinum (xenon standard). We found this color/interior Premier locally with many of the options checked, but no bi-xenon. I had to travel a few hundred miles for this particular color combination in the Platinum trim.

But I had a similar annoyance with VW. I tested a loaded Passat V6 that has all the options and the DSG transmission with paddles, but the fuel economy is poor. She tested a loaded CC with the DSG, but it seems some of the technology options don't carry over from the Passat. Granted, I value xenons more highly than BLIS, but with the S60 we got both, plus Passat-comparable rear leg room, plus the fuel economy equivalent of the 4-cylinder VW engines.

So like I said, just missing paddles and Android Auto. (...and I'm working on getting the paddles.)

Jeta Life

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI DSG Auto

Once in awhile in the print media I see photos and a story about an ordinary old Volvo coupe or sedan with 500,000 or a million miles on the one owner odometer and a fanatical owner. They must be good cars.
Being the owner of a 2012 S60 T5 FWD sedan (wife's car), whenever I want to give myself a break from the TDI shake, rattle and hum, the S60 is a nice treat. I have always admired Volvo for their safety and comfort.

I just browsed some CPO V70 wagons as I'm considering a bigger ride than a Jetta or S60. The V70 is one of a dying breed of wagons that have long longevity. It's a real shame VW didn't bring a Passat wagon to production here.

Of course there are some unicorn Audi wagons, MB E class wagons and 5 series wagons to consider also. But nowadays we have the SUV tall hatchback wagons taking over. Still, something about them wagons. Volkswagons too.:)

Philpug

Veteran Member
TDI
Gone but not forgotten
This is not a fair comment,but I bgt a 1983 new Volvo turbo wagon that was the worst car I ever owned bar none. I promised I'd never buy another and I haven't. I can't even list all the problems because there were too many. I hope you all have good luck with your new ones. I'm now a german car buyer. Probably the next will be a MB or BMW diesel.
If I didn't do everything I promised I wouldn't do, I wouldn't be doing a lot of things..including drinking too much from time to time. I also swore that I wouldn't buy another VW..well, the Alltrack is on the top of my list. I would think I learned never to say never but I still haven't learned either.

PacCoastFwy923

Veteran Member
TDI
...It's a real shame VW didn't bring a Passat wagon to production here.

Of course there are some unicorn Audi wagons, MB E class wagons and 5 series wagons to consider also. But nowadays we have the SUV tall hatchback wagons taking over. Still, something about them wagons. Volkswagons too.:)
I've been exclusively in wagons since '98. Even my family hauler Ford Flex is a "wagon" in my eye. I love wagons. (The VW TDIs both were my wife's.)

After two Subaru Legacys, I owned an Acura TSX wagon for about 6 months. I hated it -- it drove just like a Honda, and the technology was awful. So I test drove a V60 and loved it except for the horrible rear legroom. If Volvo offered a V60 in an Inscription version, I'd probably buy it.

Instead, I picked up a CPO Audi Allroad, which offers only marginally better rear leg room. I'd love to see that (or an Avant) in the A6 variant, though I'm not sure I could swing the price, even used.

Of course, my dream of owning a non-Outback diesel Subaru wagon is long dead, although my Google News Search still regularly sends me emails of links to articles from Australian publications writing about them.

Yes, wagons are nearly a lost art in the US.

Last edited:

chadbag

Veteran Member
TDI
2x 2013 JSW (1 manual BOUGHT BACK 12/20/16, 1 DSG BOUGHT BACK 1/14/17), Audi A3 e-tron gas-plugin-hybrid, gas Volvo V60
We just got back from Sweden Sunday night after "picking up" our 2017 V60 platinum with BLIS and Climate packages, ice white, "Rex" wheels (not normally available in the US but on factory delivery they have wheels, colors, etc not normally available).

We put a little over 400 miles on it driving around Sweden and to Oslo Norway (Oslo is 180 miles up the road from Gothenburg/Göteborg). Nice drive. Coming from a German car (have driven VW since 1988), some of the controls are a little different but no issues. This is the 4 cylinder T5 Drive-E engine and 8 speed auto. At low RPM/low speed it almost sounds like a diesel and was only pulling 1700-1800 RPM at high speed (70mph -- they have speed limits and cameras). At the higher speed it did not sound like a diesel. Has good pickup and power. Comfortable. We ended up $3500 under the 2017 MSRP plus destination plus dealer doc and we got the free tickets to Sweden (Economy Plus), 4 hotel nights, 2 dinners, and nice pampering. (We hit an overseas delivery promotion of an extra $1000 off and extra hotel nights that may not be valid at the moment).

Now we just wait for it to arrive at our local dealer to pick up.

CT_White_SRT

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SEL
We just got back from Sweden Sunday night after "picking up" our 2017 V60 platinum with BLIS and Climate packages, ice white, "Rex" wheels (not normally available in the US but on factory delivery they have wheels, colors, etc not normally available).

We put a little over 400 miles on it driving around Sweden and to Oslo Norway (Oslo is 180 miles up the road from Gothenburg/Göteborg). Nice drive. Coming from a German car (have driven VW since 1988), some of the controls are a little different but no issues. This is the 4 cylinder T5 Drive-E engine and 8 speed auto. At low RPM/low speed it almost sounds like a diesel and was only pulling 1700-1800 RPM at high speed (70mph -- they have speed limits and cameras). At the higher speed it did not sound like a diesel. Has good pickup and power. Comfortable. We ended up $3500 under the 2017 MSRP plus destination plus dealer doc and we got the free tickets to Sweden (Economy Plus), 4 hotel nights, 2 dinners, and nice pampering. (We hit an overseas delivery promotion of an extra $1000 off and extra hotel nights that may not be valid at the moment).

Now we just wait for it to arrive at our local dealer to pick up.
Did you take any pictures when you first picked it up? I assume a while before it is back on USA soil.

chadbag

Veteran Member
TDI
2x 2013 JSW (1 manual BOUGHT BACK 12/20/16, 1 DSG BOUGHT BACK 1/14/17), Audi A3 e-tron gas-plugin-hybrid, gas Volvo V60
I've been exclusively in wagons since '98. Even my family hauler Ford Flex is a "wagon" in my eye. I love wagons. (The VW TDIs both were my wife's.)

After two Subaru Legacys, I owned an Acura TSX wagon for about 6 months. I hated it -- it drove just like a Honda, and the technology was awful. So I test drove a V60 and loved it except for the horrible rear legroom. If Volvo offered a V60 in an Inscription version, I'd probably buy it.

Instead, I picked up a CPO Audi Allroad, which offers only marginally better rear leg room. I'd love to see that (or an Avant) in the A6 variant, though I'm not sure I could swing the price, even used.

Of course, my dream of owning a non-Outback diesel Subaru wagon is long dead, although my Google News Search still regularly sends me emails of links to articles from Australian publications writing about them.

Yeah, just coming back from Sweden/Norway/Denmark, I saw a ton of A4 wagons, Passat wagons, and other brand wagons. The A4 and Passat wagons were mostly TDI. As were most other VW/Audi of any sort we saw. Did see some TSi Golfs, Tiguan, etc. but most were TDI.

Wagon Wagon Wagon.

chadbag

Veteran Member
TDI
Did you take any pictures when you first picked it up? I assume a while before it is back on USA soil.
They took some pictures of us standing by it. I am estimating mid Jan 2017 for being able to get it at the dealer. Based on it being shipped to Cali and then trucked to Utah and the rough numbers they gave.

coolbreeze

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE DSG - 2016 Tig SE for the wifey
They took some pictures of us standing by it. I am estimating mid Jan 2017 for being able to get it at the dealer. Based on it being shipped to Cali and then trucked to Utah and the rough numbers they gave.

That is a gorgeous car. The T5 is a great engine. Had it in a C30 and a XC60. With the e Drive and new transmission it should make it even better. My only complaint with it prior was the MPG. I imagine you will be looking at mid 30 highway now? Nothing beats the 5 cylinder exhaust notes.

Hope you had a great experience going over to pick it up. That is a really cool program they have. Enjoy!

ar2013tdi

TDI
2014 Sportwagen DSG

Instead, I picked up a CPO Audi Allroad, which offers only marginally better rear leg room. I'd love to see that (or an Avant) in the A6 variant, though I'm not sure I could swing the price, even used..........

I just purchased a CPO Audi Allroad as well. Much more car than the Sportwagon and my wife loves it. 2015 Ibis white with sport seats, Audi drive and paddles. Seats are really nice.

Last edited:

chadbag

Veteran Member
TDI
That is a gorgeous car. The T5 is a great engine. Had it in a C30 and a XC60. With the e Drive and new transmission it should make it even better. My only complaint with it prior was the MPG. I imagine you will be looking at mid 30 highway now? Nothing beats the 5 cylinder exhaust notes.
The T5 Drive-E is a 4 cylinder Turbo now and they claim 36 MPG HWY. I don't know how we did as I never did a fill-up. Our driving around Gothenburg and then trip to Oslo and back was all on the original full tank they gave us. The computer was showing mid or high 30s I think but I never got through all the details of the computer display so don't know which "MPG" they were showing us.

Hope you had a great experience going over to pick it up. That is a really cool program they have. Enjoy!
It was awesome. I'd do it again.

ericy

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI (wife's car)
Nice!

That's the same color as mine. I got the Platinum trim as well (actually kind of hard to find in the CPO market). No BLIS, but it did have the reverse camera, which not all models have, and giving that up would have been kind of hard.

Tenebrae

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 VW Jetta TDI Premium with Nav TURNED IN 03/10/2017
What the...
What kind of program is that?
Also, that looks really nice for a white car. :)

-T.

Mark SF

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDi
I've done 3,000 miles in the V60 now and it's been a great car. However, the fuel economy numbers are rather optimistic. I think 28-30 mpg would be reasonable for touring. I'm getting 26 mpg for a mix of urban and highway, on which the Passat TDI did about 36.

The fuel economy display is about 5% optimistic (just like the Passat's).

chadbag

Veteran Member
TDI

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Is this a trade in or just hey VW ripped me and 11,000,000 others off give me a great deal Volvo?
It's Volvo's way of trying to attrack some of the VW owners. The philosophy: "We know how a European car is supposed to feel and drive, so why not look at a different European car?"

I had a V60 Cross Country for a rental in Canada a few weeks back and really liked it. It rode a little firmer than the JSW but it only had about 1000 km on it and it was awd.

and our TDI's were made in Mexico....
only 50% of my VWs were made in Mexico.

Philpug

Veteran Member
TDI
Gone but not forgotten
I did it about a decade ago. Fun trip, don't forget to visit the Volvo museum. Also..

Wi not trei a holiday in Sweeden this yer ?

See the loveli lakes

The wonderful telephone system

And mani interesting furry animals

Including the majestic moose

A moose once bit my sister...

No realli! She was Karving her initials on the moose with the sharpened end
of an interspace toothbrush given her by Svenge - her brother-in-law - an
Oslo
dentist and star of many Norwegian movies: "The Hot Hands of an Oslo
Dentist",
"Fillings of Passion", "The Huge Molars of Horst Nordfink"...

Mynd you, moose bites Kan be pretti nasti...

Tenebrae

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 VW Jetta TDI Premium with Nav TURNED IN 03/10/2017
I did it about a decade ago. Fun trip, don't forget to visit the Volvo museum. Also..

See the loveli lakes

Oslo
Dentist",

We apologise again for the fault in the subtitles. Those responsible for sacking the people who have just been sacked have been sacked.

-T.

halfast3

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI DSG
Allroad or Volvo V60?

I just purchased a CPO Audi Allroad as well. Much more car than the Sportwagon and my wife loves it. 2015 Ibis white with sport seats, Audi drive and paddles. Seats are really nice.
We have yet to look at the Allroad. I know they're rated higher than Volvos but S.O. is really stoked about the smaller V60 and the seats are sooo comfy and supportive! Year for year, similarly equipped Audi's seem to cost a bit more.
I'm not a fan of the Audi's front end treatment. Were the previous gen A4 Avant still available, I'd be more interested.
We're not fans of pano sunroofs. Can you get an Allroad without one?
Other factors: We did have some issues with a local dealer's service writer (years ago). Dieselgate.
All that said, I may go look at them anyway.
[/disjointed rambling]

halfast3

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI DSG
See the loveli lakes
Oslo
Dentist",
Bravo! Standing ovulation :eek:

Jeta Life

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI DSG Auto
Volvo has always been one of my favorite car brands. I called a local dealer yesterday who confirmed the deal for VW owners. Looks like we may be checking out Volvo once again.

My first Volvo was a 2004 S80 with AWD which I only kept for a little over a year and traded for a CPO 2012 S60 with FWD. Slightly better fuel economy than S80, but not a TDI by any stretch. The 2.5T is an awesome engine, but thirsty to say the least. They can get 30mpgs if babied.

Design, durability, and safety are what attracted us to the new for 2011 S60 which only had an expensive T6 w/ AWD its first year, so we opted for the cheaper '12 with FWD. Waited till it depreciated and bought it CPO 3 years ago. Very happy with it so far, a great highway cruiser with seats that are probably the most comfortable I have ever had.

Now that we're taking more road trips again, we are thinking of an SUV. We're checking out the older, dated XC90s, not the new for 2016 which looks great.

I have always admired Volvo 240 sedans and wagons and 850s also. Most Volvo fans opt for the wagons which are nice to see, so haven't totally made up my mind yet if we're getting a wagon or SUV. V70 is a dying breed now that XC60 seems to be selling more.

A perfect day to go hassle a Volvo dealer, rainy.:)

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Growing up, we had three Volvo 544. These were always the second cars, which meant that Mom drove them most of the time. I never got to drive any of them since my oldest brother cracked the head on the last one doing 95 mph on an almost 200k mile engine. I would have been 12 or 13 at that time.

wuzilla

TDI
2012 JSW
Picking up my new 2016 V60 on Friday! It was offered to us at $35k, and had the climate package - the heated steering wheel turned into a non-negotiable for my wife. And after some searching, I discovered that it was extremely hard to find a FWD V60 with the package on dealer lots (which is pretty silly for New England IMO).

Along with 5 years maintenance, the Volvo offer also covers the first 3 months payments, which works particularly well since we still have, and are still making payments on, our TDI. Fingers crossed that the buyback happens by March!