Stripping the Turn Ins

JungleFBS

Account disabled, user request
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
This may be picking nits, but there is no such requirement--the settlement agreements are completely silent about how the car makes its way to the turn-in location. The requirement is that it be able to move under its own power, but does not specify how it gets to the dealer.

I'll go further and say that it doesn't even need to be operable. Yes, it says so on the website but not in the court docs. Exempt: "Owners whose Eligible Vehicle (i) could not be driven under the power of its own 2.0-liter TDI engine on June 28, 2016,"

2.33. “Eligible Vehicle” means Model Year 2009 through 2015 Volkswagen and Audi light-duty vehicles equipped with 2.0-liter TDI engines that (3)for an Eligible Owner, are currently Operable or cease to be Operable only after the Opt-Out Deadline; and "

Opt out has passed. Drag it in on rims if you must.

Vidgamer

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI (turned in)
Myself, I wouldn't trash the car not just for VW, but for whoever VW sells the car to. If you screw up the car, and VW resells it, some poor slob on the other end may not notice just how much you stripped out and will either do without or spend more money to have it fixed.

Not sure if they will fix/resell the Gen1 tho.

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SEL (totaled), 2013 Touareg Executive
it makes sense to consider what's worth your while to to take off
The only things that make any amount of sense are high value, aftermarket mods.

All of the things listed in these responses would take more time and effort than they are worth. The people considering them are either ideologically driven (as in, they want to strip the car to flip off VW or somehow the EPA I guess) or haven't parted a car out before. Because if they have, they would know that stripping off hoods and trunks and lights for resale is more of a pain in the ass than it's going to be worth and if that's true for a collector's car, like I've done with my classic BMW, then what are people thinking with these VWs in question that are a dime a dozen.

sriracha

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon 5mt, 1982 Rabbit truck (gas)
At least for the sake of us TDI owners that are going the route of the fix, don't trash the cars as they will eventually be a resource for replacement parts in the distant future.

RalphVa

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta
Mine came from the dealer with an extra set of floor and trunk mats. I hadn't planned on turning those back in but have had no success in trying to sell them on various forums and local "for sale" sites. Don't plan on giving those back but will just throw them in the trunk if no one wants them.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Those thinking they will profit somehow by stripping the car should keep in mind that with the large number of these cars that will be destined for "official" stripping at salvage yards, there will be an oversupply of parts, i.e. they won't be worth much.

High-value aftermarket parts that didn't come originally with the car ... Sure.

AmandaSch

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI DSG
Mine came from the dealer with an extra set of floor and trunk mats. I hadn't planned on turning those back in but have had no success in trying to sell them on various forums and local "for sale" sites. Don't plan on giving those back but will just throw them in the trunk if no one wants them.
I tried to send you a pm about them couple a days ago.

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Jetta (sold), 2010 JSW (sold), 2013 Passat 6MT traded for 2014 JSW with 6MT-TOTALED in November 2016, 2003 ALH 5MT conversion (sold), wheezing 2015 GSW/DSG and a new 2021 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 p'up
According to the settlement, Volkswagen can sell these cars anywhere in the world once they've been "fixed". The key is that there must be an EPA approved fix. Buybacks are unlikely to go to the crusher. At the very least, they'll be sold for parts once rendered inoperable (destroyed ECU may be enough). VW won't throw away cars. Lots of off shore markets for these cars. And they can remove the fix and make them comply with those other markets' requirements once they arrive there.

Throwback7r

Veteran Member
TDI
JSW
The reason for me to want to strip the car is the 1100$ tax liability that buying another car is putting me in. If I could get 1100$ worth of stuff out of this car and get the buyback,I totally would.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
At least for the sake of us TDI owners that are going the route of the fix, don't trash the cars as they will eventually be a resource for replacement parts in the distant future.
You needn't worry— most of the people who talk about stripping the car down to the paint before turn in will take it to the buyback intact. Talk has never been cheaper than on the Internet.

ecupip

TDI
2012 TDI
The easiest thing to do would be to take it to a metal recycling shop or junk yard to see what parts they would want and how much they would give you. There would be a decent resale market for the more expensive parts like doors, hood, etc as some of those parts cost $500-$1000 so slashing those prices in half would net a nice profit and guarantee a quick sale.

FVWVWF

Veteran Member
TDI
Sold - 2012 TDI Highline Manual
According to the settlement, Volkswagen can sell these cars anywhere in the world once they've been "fixed". The key is that there must be an EPA approved fix. Buybacks are unlikely to go to the crusher. At the very least, they'll be sold for parts once rendered inoperable (destroyed ECU may be enough). VW won't throw away cars. Lots of off shore markets for these cars. And they can remove the fix and make them comply with those other markets' requirements once they arrive there.
That would be interesting to see. Requirements across the globe are a bit different from North America. For starters, they'd have to change the headlights (output...not sure if new light bulbs solve this problem, havent exported in over 10 years) and ensure that all cars have orange (not red) blinkers. It would cost them a pretty penny.

I think we'll be seeing a lot of Hollywood movies with Jettas in them in the next few years. :)

Airpizz6

Veteran Member
TDI
Now TDI-free, but there now is a 15 MB E250 BT in the driveway
You needn't worry— most of the people who talk about stripping the car down to the paint before turn in will take it to the buyback intact. Talk has never been cheaper than on the Internet.
Yes, talk is cheap but I've seen some crazier things. Back in the 80's I worked with a couple guys who when they had to rent a car for business travel always tried to get a make and model like the ones they owned. Then they would take the rental homd and swap tires, wiper blades, even the battery. And they didn't think they were doing anything wrong.
And another one that sticks in my memory. Dec '83. Terry Bradshaw's last game and the NJ Jets last game at Shea Stadium. Many 'fans' brought crowbars and the like to the game. And from the middle of the fourth quarter, they proceeded to rip out seats, railing sections, etc as souvenirs. After the game they destroyed the goal posts, ripped out sod... Got scary. A mob out of control. No cops in sight. The real joke was that Shea was still the Mets' home.
My point. People are capable of anything when they set their mind to it.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Good point. Most of these would be strippers have probably never turned a wrench in their life.

rgoetz

Veteran Member
TDI
None currently
Yesterday my son debadged "Jetta" from our JSW. The horror!

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Spare tire? It will be nice to have an real spare tire in the next car.
Assuming that the spare will fit your next car. I have four cars with four different sized rims and tires. Even my 10 JSW and 11 Golf have different sized rims and tires.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
The easiest thing to do would be to take it to a metal recycling shop or junk yard to see what parts they would want and how much they would give you. There would be a decent resale market for the more expensive parts like doors, hood, etc as some of those parts cost $500-$1000 so slashing those prices in half would net a nice profit and guarantee a quick sale.
If the junkyard is going to offer the parts for sale for 30% - 50% of the new price (which is not unusual) they're not going to want to pay more than 10% of THAT price, and probably much less than that (like a couple hundred for the whole car). They're assuming the risk that those parts will end up in inventory for years and possibly never be sold - and in a situation where a significant portion of the vehicle fleet is going to end up in the potential stripped-for-parts situation with fewer of them being on the road, thus having an even smaller market for those parts and with an enormous supply of them.

When supply outstrips demand, the price plummets ...

Jeta Life

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI DSG Auto
Having two daughters who are each only a few years away from high school, it seems these TDIs would be great driver's ed/college cars. That's actually one of the main reasons I may be reconsidering the buyback. Really tough to turn away that kind of buyback cash though.

May drive it as is for two years, hopefully get the $5100 and/or fix and by then hopefully it won't matter if it's in a fender bender. For those TDIs that face the crusher, I would say have VW coordinate with dealers and various states' municipalities (for local high schools) to sign off on liability issues and have these cars recycled thru driver's ed courses in high schools.

Choices, tough choices. :confused:

tactdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 Jetta
I think we'll be seeing a lot of Hollywood movies with Jettas in them in the next few years. :)
I see a remake of The Blues Brothers with Jettas as the cop cars. That movie destroyed a large number of Dodge Monaco cop cars.

ecupip

TDI
2012 TDI
If the junkyard is going to offer the parts for sale for 30% - 50% of the new price (which is not unusual) they're not going to want to pay more than 10% of THAT price, and probably much less than that (like a couple hundred for the whole car). They're assuming the risk that those parts will end up in inventory for years and possibly never be sold - and in a situation where a significant portion of the vehicle fleet is going to end up in the potential stripped-for-parts situation with fewer of them being on the road, thus having an even smaller market for those parts and with an enormous supply of them.
When supply outstrips demand, the price plummets ...
Not sure about where you live, but around here junk yards command top dollar now. Maybe many years ago you could get parts cheap....not now. They typically go for 80% of new price if in good condition.

coloradogolftdi

TDI
2012 Golf TDi
I told my dad to NOT change the oil in a month or two. Don't do the 40K mile service. Why bother. They basically already own the thing in my book. It's their POS not mine in a couple months. Let them service it or scrap it. They can set it on fire for all I care. It
's tucked away in the garage till the deal is signed and I know they can't renig on the deal of paying me my $19+k. Only decision I make is does it go back with the 16" totally worn snow tires of the 17" OEM with nearly new All Season tires. Anyone want a set of tires either way. I need to sell something to get that money back. What a waste that was.

tonestar

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Golf TDI (Canadian Import) 5 Speed, 2015 Golf TDI SE DSG, 2015 Jetta TDI SE (connectivity) DSG
I'm taking everything from my 13 golf (rims, tires, brakes, rotors, suspension) and throwing it all on my 06 jetta

Airpizz6

Veteran Member
TDI
Now TDI-free, but there now is a 15 MB E250 BT in the driveway
I'm taking everything from my 13 golf (rims, tires, brakes, rotors, suspension) and throwing it all on my 06 jetta
Just don't take the Golf logo. That would be confusing on a Jetta.

k1xv

Veteran Member
TDI
09 TDI sedan, sold back 12/16. Present cars 2013 BMW X5 diesel, 2015 Corvette convertible
I am removing the windshield, and going in wearing motorcycle goggles.

Jeta Life

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI DSG Auto
Last edited:

autdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 NB, 2003 NB, 2006 Touareg, 2015 Jetta, 2013 Beetle, 2013 Touareg
I can see if you are using it as a donor car to something that has worse (insert part swap), then why not? Friend/Neighbor/You have another with a ratty seat, taking a nice one to replace it, sure. Radio, unless it has nav which is valued so low you couldn't buy nav to put in the other car for, might as well get the nav for cheaper than you could buy it for. Wheels, sure. Much beyond that, you really need somewhere for the part to go to make it worth it. Consider trades with a local independent body shop, majors won't likely do it, but a small shop might. Otherwise, what are you going to do with a set of doors, glass, body panels, etc. unless you have a parts barn.