What do you want to do with your 2009-2015 TDI (Poll)?

What do you want to do with your 2009-2015 TDI (if you had the choice)?

• Let VW buy it back (pre-scandal value) + some compensation money.

Votes: 88 59.5%
  • Let VW fix it.

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • Just keep driving it as is until it falls apart.

Votes: 52 35.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

UBUGME

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 VW Golf Sportwagen Gray
I chose the fix + $. I love both of my TDIs.

My dad used to drive a 1983 Mercedes 340D when I was a kid. He used to brag back then about the MPG he was getting.

My first Diesel was a decommissioned Austrian Post VW Golf 1. I bought it back in 1998 when I moved to Austria. I loved that car. We drove from Spittal an der Drau to Venice Italy and had to fill it only twice.

When I moved to the States, I bought a 1989 New Beetle TDI with 36K miles on 2004. Drove the car back and forth between Jacksonville, FL and Columbus, OH I don't know how many times and had it till 2014 with 246K miles on it. I sold it to my son for $1000 and it is still running.

I replaced the Beetle with a 2010 JSW TDI in 2014. This is still our main family car. Just two weeks ago, I bought a 2013 Jetta with 53K on it. This is now my wife's car.

Here is why I'm keeping the car:

a. I don't have extra cash to buy other types of Diesel vehicles that are extremely expensive for me like BMWs and Mercedes or Jaguar XE 20d.
b. I don't live in a farm, do construction or have a landscaping business, so buying a Diesel truck would be out of the question. Also, they are expensive.
c. The Chevy Cruze Diesel, is after all a Chevy, and I don't trust that brand since I have owned an HHR and it made noises that nobody could figure out where they came from.
d. I like European cars and VW is all I can afford.
e. I like being different. Owning a diesel car makes you stand out. Normality is the curse of the weak.
f. There is an obscene amount of self help on this forum and others that I can utilize to do repairs and get information.
g. There a good options for aftermarket parts with vendors like ECS Tuning, ID Parts, fixmyvw and others.

I am planing to drive the cars till they can't no more. My only concern is that, if there is no fix, the Government is gonna make me get rid of them if I don't do the buyback or there is no approved fix.

red golf tdi

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
1999.5 Golf Red
Why is the pole closed? Everyone should have a chance to vote their choice.

The VW techs I've talked to said the fix will be no problem, you'll just use more AdBlue (DEF) than the 10,000 mile current usage (to stay within the oil change interval), so AdBlue will likely be free for the life of the car. "VW can tune the car and make it as dirty as they want, however they want, that's the beauty of AdBlue which is used to clean it up." The cars that don't have AdBlue could be retrofitted easily with a new exhaust system and an AdBlue tank. I'm sure the parts logistics will be a nightmare for them.

Last edited: