VW TDI goodwill package: Offers $500 Visa cards & $500 dealer credits to TDI owners

czeetah

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat 6MT / Opera Red
Extended Warranty... But if the 500 is tied to one dealer, they'll wise up and ream people on the warranty quote.

Then again it'd sucknto do that and one month later VW announces free warranty extension for everyone

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
Extended Warranty... But if the 500 is tied to one dealer, they'll wise up and ream people on the warranty quote.

Then again it'd sucknto do that and one month later VW announces free warranty extension for everyone
I agree. To hell with the gift cards. Give me an extended warranty on powertrain and emissions (including the Ad Blue system), lifetime for original purchaser, and I'll burn the gift cards.

Also: This thread needs to be locked, or merged with Threadzilla. The posts have become identical.

Jeta Life

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI DSG Auto
Cleaning the diesel engine

Anybody know which tune-up type of service I could start asking around at the dealers they have for cleaning the deposits off vital engine parts ?
Glow plugs... Do they need maintenance ?
Is there a comprehensive type of cleaning/tune up they do which actually helps the Diesel engine ?
After 6 years it's due for a lot but $1000 will sure help. Toss up between a tune up or timing belt.

jhinsc

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium
It's gonna cost me....the postage necessary to send the card(s) back to VW!!!!! If you think this won't have strings attached you're crazy! Bottom line...VW defrauded us...they have been defrauding us since 2009. Let's never overlook the obvious facts...and as far as I'm concerned VW should pay full original purchase price for these cars. Period. If this sort of thing happened anywhere else in life, people would be screaming for a full refund and would get it. It shouldn't matter that you drove the car one mile or one million miles, you were defrauded at the time you origonally purchased it.
Really!? Can you agree this is SO much worse than airbags that explode, leaky fuel lines that may cause fires, the ignition switch scandal, steering racks that can break or come loose, etc. There are so many recalls out there for more severe and potentially DEADLY issues, and you think you deserve a refund of full original purchase price? If you think about, VW's lies actually saved consumers money with the potential fuel higher mileage their diesels provided, so if you net that against the damages caused to you personally by the excess NoX emissions, you'd probably still owe VW money. Just a thought.....

South Coast Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI wagon
Anybody know which tune-up type of service I could start asking around at the dealers they have for cleaning the deposits off vital engine parts ?
Glow plugs... Do they need maintenance ?
Is there a comprehensive type of cleaning/tune up they do which actually helps the Diesel engine ?
After 6 years it's due for a lot but $1000 will sure help. Toss up between a tune up or timing belt.
There is a link on this site showing the maintenance schedule. Start there.

gulfcoastguy

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI sold, Mazda 3 purchased
Well I need new tires by next year but it will depend on what I have to sign away or do to get that card.

pknopp

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen
Gift cards from VW for $1000 or join a class action suit and get $12.50 at some point down the road?

I'll have to think this one through.

JCrouton

TDI
2015 Golf Comfortline TDI
So I read that the cards will be given to US customers? Any news if this will include Canada, you know as we are pretty much the same? And will this be for EA288 engine also?

tsingtao

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Mazda 3 Hatchback 2009 Jetta TDI--Bought back 12/21/16
Gift cards from VW for $1000 or join a class action suit and get $12.50 at some point down the road?

I'll have to think this one through.

i'm sure VW is counting on this fact to get people to take the gift cards and sign their rights away.

Lawyers aren't as bad as some say. If it wasn't for the pressure of the lawsuits, I'll bet VW wouldn't give us anything.

pknopp

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen
i'm sure VW is counting on this fact to get people to take the gift cards and sign their rights away.

Lawyers aren't as bad as some say. If it wasn't for the pressure of the lawsuits, I'll bet VW wouldn't give us anything.
No doubt because lawsuits will cost VW a lot of money. My point is that even though lawsuits are costly to whoever is sued the end result for those involved in class action suits that are not a part of the law firms is very little.

The odds of getting more than $1000 in a class action lawsuit are infinitesimal.

BrShootr

Veteran Member
TDI
MKVI JSW
For all of you whiny asses *****ing about resale value: wait 6months until the fix has been applied and the public is focused on a different scandal. Done, you got your car at the regularly depreciated value it'd normally have.

Also, when you're done making a stink over this and mindlessly selling all TDI's flooding the market with cheap cars, could you please repeat the housing market crash? My family is getting big and I'd like to get a bigger house for cheap. Thanks.

As far as the cards? So far VW has been very generous with VW owners. Dealers receive cash from VW to pay you full price for your TDI when you trade it in, you get $2k cash towards the purchase of a new VW on top of that and none of those have strings attached. I bet they're being sent out by their PR firm and not their lawyers. I like them better than a class action lawsuit anyway.

The $500 cash will go towards new springs, the $500 VW credit towards maintenance. Easy peasy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dropnosky

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta 6 speed, 2012 Passat DSG
Is the linked website a reputable source? Any links to other resources of information that back the claim?

Seems sleazy and we would like be at the butt end of that deal.
Just was at my local dealer this morning buying oil filters and asked about this. Parts guy confirms there is a 500 dollar gift card coming, the other 500 dollars is a VW Credit CARD with evidently 0 percent interest for 6 months or something, but from what he said its not another 500 free dollars. Article left out the card part of the credit offer.

Also he says you will have to wait for something in the mail about this incentive, you cant just run down there and get it with proof of ownership.

He states there is more stuff they need to hear about it but that was what he was told, and that information will be available in dealerships this coming week.

engineered2win

Veteran Member
TDI
MkVI Golf TDI
For all of you whiny asses *****ing about resale value: wait 6months until the fix has been applied and the public is focused on a different scandal. Done, you got your car at the regularly depreciated value it'd normally have.

Also, when you're done making a stink over this and mindlessly selling all TDI's flooding the market with cheap cars, could you please repeat the housing market crash? My family is getting big and I'd like to get a bigger house for cheap. Thanks.

As far as the cards? So far VW has been very generous with VW owners. Dealers receive cash from VW to pay you full price for your TDI when you trade it in, you get $2k cash towards the purchase of a new VW on top of that and none of those have strings attached. I bet they're being sent out by their PR firm and not their lawyers. I like them better than a class action lawsuit anyway.

The $500 cash will go towards new springs, the $500 VW credit towards maintenance. Easy peasy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don't know what you're talking about. The whole $2000 loyalty incentive was a scam. I was trying to trade in my 11 Golf TDI for a new Mk7 Golf R just as the whole fiasco unfolded and as soon as I told them what my trade in was they said they WERE NOT ACCEPTING ANY TDI TRADE IN'S. The loyalty incentive was only for people that weren't affected by Dieselgate apparently. The deal was dead in the water. Only option is to hold until the dust settles now or plan on driving it into the ground.

Last edited:

dropnosky

Veteran Member
TDI
Article is partially wrong according to my local VW. 500 dollar gift card plus 500 dollar credit CARD with 0 percent interest for 6 months or something along those lines. Not just 500 dollars credit to spend.

Dealer also states you have to receive something in the mail to take advantage of this offer, and that specific data will be available in dealers this upcoming week.

pknopp

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen
Just was at my local dealer this morning buying oil filters and asked about this. Parts guy confirms there is a 500 dollar gift card coming, the other 500 dollars is a VW Credit CARD with evidently 0 percent interest for 6 months or something , but from what he said its not another 500 free dollars. Article left out the card part of the credit offer.

Also he says you will have to wait for something in the mail about this incentive, you cant just run down there and get it with proof of ownership.

He states there is more stuff they need to hear about it but that was what he was told, and that information will be available in dealerships this coming week.
I don't believe this will be the case.....

showdown 42

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 TDI touareg
They have to find a solution to the problem before any deal is going to be struck. If they just want to give some gift card away that's fine,but the Feds want a solution to the pollution. I have 09 with 36k miles and I'm not going to sell it or change it for a 1000 bucks. I live in an intelligent state that doesn't test emissions. This issue is FAR from over.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
how many TDIs do you have ?
My comment was to give them for all VWs. I have one gasser and two TDIs, both super polluting common rails! ��

From past experience with VW South in Charlotte, the service card will probably have a maximum limit per use. Something like a maximum of 10% or $100 per use. That will extend out the number of trips to the dealer And prolong the money coming into them to help keep their doors open. Unless it's used as a down payment on a new(er) car. However since you can't buy hardly any of the new cars on the lot, a down payment doesn't amount to much.

Last edited:

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Exactly, this came out on day one of the scandal, and the allegations turned out to be true. All of the 482,000 vehicles sold had the cheat code and are non compliant with the clean air act rules. This does not mean that VW will be fined if they do not update each car. They face a fine for breaking the rules.
That's they way I read it too. In addition, VW could be fined for each day that everyone of these cars have been on the road prior to the discovery or admittance of cheating by VW. If the EPA had any punitive power over the consumer, then they could fine each owner per day once the fix is agreed to and the recall is announced. Don't worry, EPA has no power over the consumer.

Last edited:

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
I own 2 2009 Jetta,s so its a start.
I think most will use it to put a good tune back in it after they de-tune them!!
$500 must be used at a VW dealer remember when any one goes back for a recall at the dealer they make a laundry list of not needed repairs.
That's a good idea (about the tune). I can easily ignore their "laundry list" of "needed" repairs. My thinking is that $500 will be a lifetime supply of oil filters, fuel filters, air filters, wiper blades, etc. The parts department is the only part of my dealership that I ever deal with.

Have Fun!

Don

P.S. Also remember that the "fix" for a 2009 model could include a new free DPF.

Henrick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf VI TDI, 77 kW (CAYC)
Guys, honestly, I don't understand what are the problems you're discussing at your side of the pond.
VW did a device, which tricked the EPA test.
VW did nothing to trick the owners. Owners had only benefits - higher MPG, power/tq and less headache of emissions stuff failing.

Car is car. It's not a gold price that you should worry about. Cars do age and get into different accidents. Their value drops with time. Period.

You own a TDI. You still have releability, power and great fuel economy. Drive it till the wheels fall off and you will be fine.

Jeta Life

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI DSG Auto
My comment was to give them for all VWs. I have one gasser and two TDIs, both super polluting common rails! ��

From past experience with VW South in Charlotte, the service card will probably have a maximum limit per use. Something like a maximum of 10% or $100 per use. That will extend out the number of trips to the dealer And prolong the money coming into them to help keep their doors open. Unless it's used as a down payment on a new(er) car. However since you can't buy hardly any of the new cars on the lot, a down payment doesn't amount to much.
I agree that all VW owners should get the cards. Even gasoline VWs resale values will probably decline.

How the money for the cards can be used is a wait and see. I can't see why VW dealers would not let owners use all $500 at once, rather than go back 5 times, didn't think of that.

TDIs are a bargain now, would not be surprised if prices go up in a few years if supply diminishes like it did when there were no 2007 or 2008 TDIs.

Overpolluting used to be a concern of mine until I read a thread on how much more gasoline engines pollute.

Last edited:

> Luke <

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2011 TDi DSG
Fm > GyroRon
So would taking any money from VW be some type of contract where by taking the money
you're bound to have to do the recall once it comes out?
Absolutely, it will be part of the agreement. Additionally, in CA one cannot affect the annual registration without
confirmation (documentation) the vehicle has had any required updates. You get a document front the dealership
when it is completed and must be submitted at time of the smog testing.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Guys, honestly, I don't understand what are the problems you're discussing at your side of the pond.
VW did nothing to trick the owners. Owners had only benefits - higher MPG, power/tq and less headache of emissions stuff failing.
Car is car. It's not a gold price that you should worry about. Cars do age and get into different accidents. Their value drops with time. Period.
You own a TDI. You still have releability, power and great fuel economy. Drive it till the wheels fall off and you will be fine.
I think 98% of the people here would agree Henrick. The problem is the 2% of malcontents cry very loud and very often. No worries, they will crawl back under their rocks soon enough.:D

pknopp

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen
That's a good idea (about the tune). I can easily ignore their "laundry list" of "needed" repairs. My thinking is that $500 will be a lifetime supply of oil filters, fuel filters, air filters, wiper blades, etc. The parts department is the only part of my dealership that I ever deal with.

Have Fun!

Don

P.S. Also remember that the "fix" for a 2009 model could include a new free DPF.
Lifetime? I dunno about that. I did oil/filter and fuel filter this past week. I sadly didn't plan ahead.......only place I could get the fuel filter was the VW dealer so I figured I'd just get it all there.

Fuel Filter, oil filter, oil.....$120.......so four changes and a set of wiper blades perhaps.

Jeta Life

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI DSG Auto
Absolutely, it will be part of the agreement. Additionally, in CA one cannot affect the annual registration without
confirmation (documentation) the vehicle has had any required updates. You get a document front the dealership
I think that last thing VW needs is for already frustrated TDI owners to be told there are strings attached to the TDI Goodwill Program.

If the gift cards obligate one to go along with the fix by entering into some kind of contractual obligation this would only further alienate VW owners from the dealers.

dropnosky

Veteran Member
TDI

what are you talking about? Clearly anything bad that ever happened is now VWs fault. Im pretty sure the birds that crapped on my car this morning are VW robots. Ive already emailed them demanding 30 times payment for the carwash. I was psychologically traumatized and need to cash in

Last edited:

Jeta Life

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI DSG Auto
Boy I am telling you, that Subaru driver that gave me the finger was really angry.

I can't understand how people get so angry. His finger was directed more at my car than at me so I accepted it. I did nothing wrong, did not drive aggressively at all.

My guess he is a disgruntled former VW employee or another HPFP or DPF statistic. Sometimes when I drive this TDI it's like I feel I'm rolling the dice. But the problem with this forum is that it is over doing it with the VW bashing.

We used to have great pride and confidence in our cars and I sure hope VW can restore that with an emissions fix. This temporary measure of gift cards is a good gesture.

dropnosky

Veteran Member
TDI
Boy I am telling you, that Subaru driver that gave me the finger was really angry.
I can't understand how people get so angry. His finger was directed more at my car than at me so I accepted it. I did nothing wrong, did not drive aggressively at all.
My guess he is a disgruntled former VW employee or another HPFP or DPF statistic. Sometimes when I drive this TDI it's like I feel I'm rolling the dice. But the problem with this forum is that it is over doing it with the VW bashing.
We used to have great pride and confidence in our cars and I sure hope VW can restore that with an emissions fix. This temporary measure of gift cards is a good gesture.
What are the facts of this altercarion youve mentioned a couple times?

A guy gave you the finger, drives a subaru, and you dont know why? Is that all?

Perry01

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf DSG w/tech package
The wording states that all you need to get the cards activated is to visit your local dealer and present proof of ownership. I guess we'll find out Monday if this is the case.