Show what you tow!

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
Back in 2008 I towed a utility trailer from California, way overloaded and perhaps not properly loaded -- it swayed back and forth at any speed over about 56 or 57 MPH, so most of the 1800-1900 mile trip was made at or under 55 MPH.

I never want to travel that far again, at such a low rate of speed. But I did get over 40 mpg for the trip. At such a low speed, wind resistance was not a factor.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
I'm contemplating dragging an empty 6x12 with 5 ft interior height behind my 03 wagon this weekend.
If its empty, then weight shouldn't be an issue. That's a mighty big trailer for towing behind a small car. You won't be able to see behind it and it may tend to wonder on you. Ask me how I know!

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
You can tow really big things with small cars easily if the below two rules are followed

1) Keep sufficient tongue load on your car - 10+% is a good starting point. Better more than less.

2) Make sure the distance from the axle to the ball is at least 1.5x the track width of the trailer tires.

If you look at the picture above with my car and the big enclosed trailer you'll see that the axle is toward the back. This was very stable at 70 MPH even on rough roads. I swerved around in my lane a couple times and it just follows where I go and never wags.

I had to put a ~24" extension on the tongue of my 8x10 trailer because it was almost impossible to drive since the above ratio was only ~1.2:1 - after lengthening the tongue it pulls much better.

The longer the tongue to wheel track ratio, the more tolerant the system is of improper loading, not enough tongue weight, etc.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Longer tounge also makes it easier to back.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
Longer tounge also makes it easier to back.
"Longer tongue"? For an instant I forgot about trailers and I thought you were commenting about the MTV Video Awards show. :rolleyes:

dremd

Veteran Member
TDI
06 sprinter. 03 jetta wagon premium with 6 speed ALH swap, 14 JSW
Towed this Today

Got a much sooner than anticipated brake check from this guy.
http://youtu.be/-L8saZmf1ng (has another 10 minutes to upload).
No problems, stopped with 20 + feet to spare, but did shift everything (spare tire, jack, etc) all the way to the front.
What sort of sustained boost levels do you guys think are ok? I'm seeing 8~11 PSI @ 60 MPH.

dremd

Veteran Member
TDI
I don't see any modifications in your signature so assuming that your ALH is stock?

If so, 8-11 psi is fine and I doubt your EGT's are anything to worry about either.

What gear are you in at 60 MPH?
4th gives 8 PSI, 5 th gives 10-12 PSI, 6th is out of the question. I think I had about a 25~30 MPH headwind though . . . . .

Trailer is essentially empty, it will get towed back by a Tundra loaded.

My mods are mild, but many Starting my list from your sig
Cat 2u filter without thermostatic T, Evolution Skid Plate, Diesel Geek Bypass filter with bp-90 filter, Electric Pre-Lube pump, Factory Fogs, Automatic Headlights with Wiper auto on, PD lift pump, Bosio 520's by DriveBiWire, Malone Stage 2 Torque bliss with PD 150 MAF adjustments, ScanGauge II, Sport FIS, metal TIP with the MAF to match, R32 DSG Snorkel Pipe, 1.8T Pancake pipe with lathe built adapter, Fairly nice (but Chinese) upgrade side mount intercooler, vented fender liner, Stock Turbo, Stock MAP, DRW Trans with PD 150 Clutch, Koni Yellows, Shine rear sway bar, stock springs, 288 Front Brakes, Long Beaches with sticky rubber, Methanol injection, which I have to decide where to set, EGT probe, but no EGT Gauge (yet).

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
Even with PP520's and a "Stage 2" tune, you're just fine with the numbers you're running - improved SMIC does not hurt anything either.

Stock turbo won't surge on you, guessing max boost on your tune is ~18 psi, nozzles are not big enough to cause EGT problems

I'm a little surprised it won't pull it in 6th - you should be ~1775 RPM with stock diameter tires an your DRW 6 speed - should make decent power there?

Here's what I'm running at 60 MPH, though our two engines don't have much in common other than bore and stroke :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQcRqZSbv1A

Quanger

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk4 ALH TDi
Even with PP520's and a "Stage 2" tune, you're just fine with the numbers you're running - improved SMIC does not hurt anything either.

Stock turbo won't surge on you, guessing max boost on your tune is ~18 psi, nozzles are not big enough to cause EGT problems

I'm a little surprised it won't pull it in 6th - you should be ~1775 RPM with stock diameter tires an your DRW 6 speed - should make decent power there?

Here's what I'm running at 60 MPH, though our two engines don't have much in common other than bore and stroke :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQcRqZSbv1A
Looks like you're lugging it a bit there. I would probably tow it in 4th gear. 1500rpm is way too low. I'd like to keep it at least 2600rpm especially when towing.

Matt-98AHU

Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI, 2005 Passat wagon, 2004 Touareg V10.

Towed this old pop up camper from California to Ohio on our way to TDIFest. The BHW-powered wagon is a BEAST at this.

Of course, this took fuel economy from ~33 MPG average down to about 26...

Using the Westfalia hitch with the vertical detachable setup. Love it! Supposed to be good for towing 4400 lbs with the B5.5 wagon.

Also using some Firestone air helper springs in the rear, but the kit I got doesn't seem to be quite correct for the car. Doesn't lift it as high as it should. I've got a different one on the way to try, one that has spacers for the bottom, which my current "4105" kit does not have.

Last edited:

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Looks like you're lugging it a bit there. I would probably tow it in 4th gear. 1500rpm is way too low. I'd like to keep it at least 2600rpm especially when towing.
At least 2000-2200 on the flat, constant speed. But for acceleration or climbing all but the most gradual grades, downshift and get the revs up. On steep hills or mountains, 2800-3000 rpm is safest.

Ski in NC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta ALH 5sp stock
That's a BIG trailer and a little car!!! But I'm of the opinion that you can just about tow anything with anything, but as proportions get out of whack, the operator has to proportionately get more careful and follow more rules.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
and have more and better equipment (trailer brakes, better hitch, etc...). You can tow just about anything with the proper equipment. Getting stopped and remaining in control is the harder part. Let a giant crosswind hit that trailer and watch it dance! That Toyota truck commercial towing the space shuttle for example. It can tow it, but can you imagine it going down the road at 60 or 70 mph? Having to stop or turn or avoid anything? Didn't a VW tow a 747? A lot of people want to tow big loads, but don't want to do what is required to do it safely. On almost any trip I take I see some idiot towing something that is an accident waiting to happen.

dremd

Veteran Member
TDI
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dremd/9688246475

Helping a very good TDI buddy move.

Few notes for those interested (I sure was).
My wagon gets 25 mpg ish towing 400 cubic foot box trailer (interior dimensions 12 ft long, 6ft wide, 5.5 ft high) ran 9-14 psi boost for 2 hours straight, intake air temps varied usually 119-125, but I did see 155f. Cruised 60-68 mph depending on conditions. If it wasn't for the added instrumentation it wouldn't be terribly apparent that the engine is working way harder.

It's the biggest aero load I've ever towed with a tdi, slows down about the same as mild braking at speed, but the light weight makes it not noticeably harder to go up hills, you have to brake fairly hard to make the ball mount load the trailler on to the wagon as well (trailler wants to slow down all on its own).

I had 2 jettas pass the trailler, totally miss that there was a car towing the trailler and move over in to my wagon, oh and a drunk driver threw a few beer cans out of his Tahoe and hit my car. Otherwise 0 issues.

I'd bet that ANY aero mods would massively improve the economy of this setup, nose cone, V shaped front closet, air deflector on roof of wagon, just something to get the air moving around the vertical wall before it hits it.

Edit: 29.2 mpg fill, that did include about 75 miles of around town driving without trailler, but some of that was with 500 Lbs of sand and 4 adults in the car. I'd guess that my 25 mpg FIS estimate is at least very close.

Last edited:

Holly Money

TDI
MKIV golf gls
Any recommendations for light towing? I will never tow an rv like that badass up there, just small utility trailers like these

Of course, if installing a heavy duty hitch isn't that much harder to install or much more expensive I wouldn't mind having the option in case I decide to live amongst the mountain lions or something

LOUDERMAN

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 2dr Golf TDI, 6MT
Stuff like that is fine, but beware of small and cheap trailers. I hauled a small yard trailer across town for a friend and the damned thing was bouncing all over the place. Trailers with good suspension are gonna be easy to tow laden and unladen.

Honestly, the hardest parts about towing small trailers is backing them up, and remembering they're there when you change lanes.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I noticed yesterday after kayaking how much more my kayak trailer bounces when empty. Rides nice and mostly smooth with 120# of kayaks on it.

Holly Money

TDI
MKIV golf gls
:eek:
Stuff like that is fine, but beware of small and cheap trailers. I hauled a small yard trailer across town for a friend and the damned thing was bouncing all over the place. Trailers with good suspension are gonna be easy to tow laden and unladen.

Honestly, the hardest parts about towing small trailers is backing them up, and remembering they're there when you change lanes.
I mean is there a certain brand or type or preferable installation method. I know nothing about towing.

LOUDERMAN

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 2dr Golf TDI, 6MT
As for receivers, not really. Curt, Hidden Hitch, and Draw-Tite all offer quality products. Installation is easy and can be done at home with basic tools. The wireing can be trickier. You'll need a self powered wiring harness and look up a how to on how to install it.

As for trailers, it really depends on what you spend. More money usually means a better product. Trailers with torsion axles are the best in my experience. They ride good and take potholes like they're hardly there.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

kuleinc

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDi, 1998 New Beetle TDi, 1.8T powered 87 Westy Vanagon
Its funny you should mention torsion tube trailers. When I was looking for a double trailer to replace my single jet ski trailer, I noticed a lot of people commenting on how their trailers had the all mighty leaf springs not the wimpy torsion tubes....

My single trailer I sold had leaf springs, and made a TON of noise, I didn't know it at the time but all the noise was from the leaf springs. I immediately noticed after buying my double place trailer with torsion tubes how quite it was compared to my old leaf spring trailer. I had originally thought it was the safety chains making all the racket, but it was actually the leaf springs. Leaf springs might not get as noisy on a trailer that is not dunked in the water all the time. I was also pretty apprehensive about people saying torsion tube trailers were "weak" compared to their superior leaf spring trailers.

Nice to know I got the better product, not just in noise but strength as well. Still not sure the Jetta can tow a 1200 pound trailer, the vanagon with 1.8t swap doesn't even notice its back there, until I need to stop... I drive appropriately, at 55 MPH.

LOUDERMAN

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 2dr Golf TDI, 6MT
Its funny you should mention torsion tube trailers. When I was looking for a double trailer to replace my single jet ski trailer, I noticed a lot of people commenting on how their trailers had the all mighty leaf springs not the wimpy torsion tubes....

My single trailer I sold had leaf springs, and made a TON of noise, I didn't know it at the time but all the noise was from the leaf springs. I immediately noticed after buying my double place trailer with torsion tubes how quite it was compared to my old leaf spring trailer. I had originally thought it was the safety chains making all the racket, but it was actually the leaf springs. Leaf springs might not get as noisy on a trailer that is not dunked in the water all the time. I was also pretty apprehensive about people saying torsion tube trailers were "weak" compared to their superior leaf spring trailers.
That's another good point, they make way less of a racket. Not sure why people say they are weaker, they seem strong enough to anything aside from heavy duty use. With how much better they tow, I can hardly imagine anyone preferring leaf springs for light duty use.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

CNDTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 jetta tdi 6m
I will be trading in my trailer for a new and improved one my old one is a 4x8 and was not able to put my atv and plow at the same time and it started to show its age as it was 14 years old.

My new trailer will be JDJ 5x10 and last year stock but it is brand new. weights the same as my 4x8 and will be heavy duty enough for the truck aswell as it has a 3500 pound axle. heres a picture of the ad

A5INKY

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI, 2002 Eurovan Westphalia VR6
seen this the other day

That's a BIG trailer and a little car!!! But I'm of the opinion that you can just about tow anything with anything, but as proportions get out of whack, the operator has to proportionately get more careful and follow more rules.
"Follow more rules", Are you kidding me? That moron is thumbing their nose at the most applicable rules that govern that situation - laws of physics! That is not pushing one's luck. Towing that trailer with that car is an act of wanton negligence. Hopefully they only kill themselves when they wad that death trap up and no innocents.