HID Headlights

tomsawyer

TDI
2005 Passat TDI
I would like to change the headlight system as the stock lighting leaves a lot to be desired. I have used Sylvania Silverstars (regular & ultra) in the past. As a matter of fact, the ultra bulbs bubbled and performed horribly (I believe someone else posted about the ultra's developing a bubble).

Currently, a couple of friends (non-passat owners) purchased Nokya light bulbs and they aren't any good either. As such, I'd like to convert to a HID system if possible.

Do you have any recommendations?

I have a friend in the aftermarket parts business and can pretty much get any type of system available.

Thanks to all that answer.

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
Can we assume that the cheap (only cheap to the manufacturer, not cheap to replace) plastic headlight covers are not yet yellowed and scratched up?

Last edited:

20IndigoBlue02

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf TDI-- deceased
I would like to change the headlight system as the stock lighting leaves a lot to be desired. I have used Sylvania Silverstars (regular & ultra) in the past. As a matter of fact, the ultra bulbs bubbled and performed horribly (I believe someone else posted about the ultra's developing a bubble).

Currently, a couple of friends (non-passat owners) purchased Nokya light bulbs and they aren't any good either. As such, I'd like to convert to a HID system if possible.

Do you have any recommendations?

I have a friend in the aftermarket parts business and can pretty much get any type of system available.

Thanks to all that answer.

Get a HID kit, H7. Will require a slight modification to the metal clip that holds the bulb.

http://www.passatworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=222647

One issue is DRL.

YOu can either disable it or relay the ballasts (to get full power to the DRLs).

or

Audi style DRLs
http://www.passatworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106495

Last edited:

LoneLIPumpeDuse

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat,04,BLUE GRAPHITE PRL
2nd the HID conversion

The most lumens your gonna get from a halogen is 2100 and it's from a Osram Hyper H7, 65watt bulb (H9 burner on a H7 base), not DOT approved (which is ridiculous) @ 20.00$ a bulb +shipping

My HID conversion kit from DDM tuning (Full size Raptor Ballast) puts out like 3200 lumens in the 4500k bulb and cost $20.00 +shipping for the whole kit:D.

Very happy with the DDM HID conversion, not as good as my Mercedes, but a huge improvement over the osram Hyper H7's. The Hypers now reside in my high beams. I also plan on doing the fogs in a 3000k HID conversion.

I'm also running a Euro switch with DRL delete.

Last edited:

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
The most lumens your gonna get from a halogen is 2100 and it's from a Osram Hyper H7, 65watt bulb (H9 burner on a H7 base), not DOT approved (which is ridiculous) @ 20.00$ a bulb +shipping

My HID conversion kit from DDM tuning (Full size Raptor Ballast) puts out like 3200 lumens in the 4500k bulb and cost $20.00 +shipping for the whole kit:D.

Very happy with the DDM HID conversion, not as good as my Mercedes, but a huge improvement over the osram Hyper H7's. The Hypers now reside in my high beams. I also plan on doing the fogs in a 3000k HID conversion.

I'm also running a Euro switch with DRL delete.

Agree with all the above as I just installed an HID kit (35W 4300K) in my low beams. Nice improvement! I pulled relay #173 a disabled the DRLs a while back.

Lionel: if you would be so kind, please let me know what HID kit you get for the fogs and where you mount the ballasts.

Thanks,

Tony

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's

tomsawyer

TDI
2005 Passat TDI
I wanted to give everyone an update on the headlights. I have a local aftermarket stereo & wheel shop that I went to investigating the HID set-up.

Turns out the guy's parents are friends of my parents and told me there'd be no problem with the install. He sold me Xenon brand HID kit and installed it for me. I have to say there is a tremendous difference between the stock lights (and all the aftermarket bulbs that I used over the years). He pulled the DRL relay and so far everything works like a charm.

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
the hella euro spec headlights are two piece and without the leveling motors have same 10 pin connectors as the usa ones? looks like the lenses are glass(lead crystal) as well?

maktas

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat TDI
There is no Halogen that will perform as good as HIDs.

Search for "HID" in this forum and find my upgrade write up.

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver

That is a matter of opinion.

HID's by their nature do not produce a continuous spectrum. That can cause color distortion. We are not all the same, but I find color distortion reduces my ability to see and properly identify what is being illuminated. You may not have the same problem. Making the light brighter does not make it better.

I personally don't like the usual beam shape and I don't care for the added cost and complexity of the systems. However that is a personal opinion.

I prefer E-code halogen myself ideally mounted close to my line of sight as possible.

maktas

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat TDI

That is a matter of opinion.

HID's by their nature do not produce a continuous spectrum. That can cause color distortion. We are not all the same, but I find color distortion reduces my ability to see and properly identify what is being illuminated. You may not have the same problem. Making the light brighter does not make it better.

I personally don't like the usual beam shape and I don't care for the added cost and complexity of the systems. However that is a personal opinion.

I prefer E-code halogen myself ideally mounted close to my line of sight as possible.
I've tried at least 3 types of halogens b4 I got my HIDs and none compare in terms of night visibility, I can say without a doubt the HIDs perform better. Also, adding the fogs as HIDs really improve the short distance areas in front and on the sides.

Sprocket

Sprockette's hubby
TDI
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit Eco Diesel, 2005 Passat Silverstone Grey, 1996 Passat Storm Grey
Has anybody gone the 55 watt route for headlights? I'm currently using the 35 watt, but one of my ballasts just went today. I'm thinking about going with the 55 watt, but wasn't sure if it would cause any trouble with the stock wiring or the plastic headlights.

truman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Passat Variant, Still miss the 03JW
Has anybody gone the 55 watt route for headlights? I'm currently using the 35 watt, but one of my ballasts just went today. I'm thinking about going with the 55 watt, but wasn't sure if it would cause any trouble with the stock wiring or the plastic headlights.
If you go up to 55w, it is my understanding that it will be necessary to add relays and fused battery power. I don't 55w will be a problem heat wise for the headlamps, but are not advised for the fogs.

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
I've tried at least 3 types of halogens b4 I got my HIDs and none compare in terms of night visibility

Have you tried E-Code lamps? I doubt if you have because they appear difficult if not impossible to find. I have been looking for them for my TDI and I have not been able to find them back in the days of sealed beam lamps. I found them far superior to any other light I have used.

If you eliminate the E-Codes, then I could not really choose on or the other available lighting as they are different. I don't like the complexity of the typical HID and I certainly don't like the bright line spectrum of the light output, but I would have to rate it equal or maybe better overall than the OEM lights.

In the bad old days, if I wanted E-code lamps all I had to do was look around and order a 7" pair. Depending on your car you just got 5" or 7" in round or rectangular. No modifications needed.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
Last edited:

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
i guess the question is hella v valeo ecode halogen units, with ability to convert to hid bulbs. i think cibie, sev marshal, and others were all combined under the valeo corporate roof. joe lucas, prince of darkness, and his protege, marelli don't seem to build vw lighting.

20IndigoBlue02

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf TDI-- deceased
i guess the question is hella v valeo ecode halogen units, with ability to convert to hid bulbs. i think cibie, sev marshal, and others were all combined under the valeo corporate roof. joe lucas, prince of darkness, and his protege, marelli don't seem to build vw lighting.
The B5.5 Passat ecodes are still made by Hella. You'll really not going to find much of a difference between the US version and Euro version, because hella already put a taller slope and they both use the same lens (fresnel).

(the audi A6...different story for the single xenon hella)

the B5 Audi A4 are Valeo for all their headlights (and there is a difference between US & Ecode)

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
the problem with all headlights is that the reflectors and lenses get a sort of scum/smoke film on them after a while and and are impossible to clean so it gradually loses efficency. the hella and valeo units, unlike the knockoffs, depo, etc have clips on the front so i would think its possible to remove cover and clean inside. i saw a thread somewhere that showed someone had heated them in an oven to a certain temp then removed the front lens. has anyone tried this sucessfully?

20IndigoBlue02

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf TDI-- deceased
a MKIV headlight is easily separated by the oven method.

may work on the B5.5 Passat.

Hella wised up for the B6/MKV headlights and the oven method does not work (the seal is extremely heat resilient).

Valeo....oven method does not work. Requires cutting

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
of the other offerings,far east, have you any opinion on the daytime audi like drl lights as opposed to ones without the led's as to light prerformance? or are they all crap?