MkV / MkVI Bluetooth FAQ (Updated 12/30/2010)

Mr. Timewise

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta SE 2.5L Tip (gasser)
...It's difficult to fathom why VW wouldn't be more accommodating at that point; I wouldn't guess there to be much financial savings by insisting on the module that is being installed to satisfy the terms of the settlement vs. the 9w7 or its equivalent...
Agreed. My guess is that the hardware cost difference is only a few pennies between the 9W7 and the new upgrade BT module. It has got to be primarily a software modification. In fact, since the 9W7 was already a product prior to the upgrade BT module, my guess is that VW spent more money designing the upgrade BT module...it would have had to be cheaper just to install 9W7's rather than designing a special module for the lawsuit upgrade. Perhaps there is some odd incompatibility between various other parts of the system????

I should mention that when I upgraded to the 9W7, I did so before I upgraded my instrument cluster to a high-line MFD. At that time, I already had an RNSE which gave a visual phonebook access. Only when the high-line MFD was installed did I see the phone info in the instrument cluster. And when the 9W7 was in my car while the instrument cluster was still the low-line version (for about a month), there were no problems I ever noticed with things going awry.

If you're interested, you might read this page:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=280030&page=2

(It isn't necessary to read all the other pages in the thread)

Last edited:

ramb02

TDI
2010 VW JSW TDI
I was told by a customer service rep at VW that they didn't use the 9w7 because there are some compatibility "bugs" with our cars and the 9w7 module, and so they decided to use a new module for our situation.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
It has to be a cost and/or supply situation. If VW redirects the 9W7s to cover the lawsuit, then they might end up being short for current production. On the other hand, if the current 9w7 costs them $75 (my guess) and the refit to answer the lawsuit only costs them $50 then they save $25 for each unit, which probably covers the cost of the install.

From those that had already installed the 9w7, I've heard nothing about bugs. Only the loss of the green LED to tell you that your phone is connected and maybe a code change with VAGCOM

Mr. Timewise

Veteran Member
TDI
The only noticeable bug I have with the 9W7 (with a high-line MFD installed, too) is that the pronunciation of some words is odd. For example, the word "phonebook" is pronounced as "phone-a-book". In fact, I have to pronounce it as "phon-a-book" sometimes to get the system to respond to my voice properly.

And just for grins one time, I named my home telephone phone in the cell phone memory as "home phone". It was pronounced as "home phone-ae" by the 9W7 :D

Also very oddly, once in awhile the word "phonebook" is actually pronounced correctly. :eek:

But in all other aspects, I've never had a problem with the system.

ramb02

TDI
2010 VW JSW TDI
Yah, when I told the rep that I have heard of multiple people with a 9w7 installed on their cars without reports of bugs, she really didn't have a response. More just "well this is what we are providing" without other options.

jeb007

TDI
2013 JSW DSG (2010 JSW 6M; traded)
Have had the new module for about a week now and am really feeling the absence of the visual phonebook in the display. There are some voice prompts - and basic ones at that - that the system does not seem to recognize. When I ask to call "Home" I get a non-recognition response though it is an entry in my contacts, and when I request a call to "Voicemail," when it finally does recognize the request the system pronounces it something along the lines of "voy-a-mail." Other names in my contacts do not seem to pose a problem; one would think home and voicemail would be programmed in to be recognized. Of course, being able to scroll through a written list (as should be available) would mitigate the issue a good deal.
I have had the same problems with trying to call contacts that I saved as "home" or "voicemail". Figures that many of my calls are actually to those contacts. :(

I don't actually use the Bluetooth all that much, but I agree that it would be nice to SEE what it is going to be dialed (either to select via the MFSW or after you speak the voice commands) and who is calling when you receive a call. I don't know enough about the technology side of it to know whether it would have been possible for the module itself to speak the name of the contact calling... some phones do that, I believe.

Mr. Timewise

Veteran Member
TDI
...it would be nice to SEE what it is going to be dialed (either to select via the MFSW or after you speak the voice commands) and who is calling when you receive a call...
With my Hi-line MFD, I do see the telephone number (or name of the incoming caller if I've associated the phone number with a phonebook named entry). The same info shows in the RNS510 automatically because its display changes to the phone menu upon receipt of an incoming call.

DieselSax

Mid Michigan - little town called Riverdale
TDI
'10 JSW, Manual 6-spd, Black/Black
Is there an easy way to tell which radio you have installed? I know I don't have the nav system.

I just got a call from the lawyer's firm that is handling the BT issue saying I have been approved to get the new module. After reading much of this thread, I don't know what I'm about to end up with. I guess it really won't matter much in the end, as you get what you get. I would just like to have an idea going into this.

ramb02

TDI
2010 VW JSW TDI
I thought there was only 2 radios, but maybe I'm wrong.

There is the radio with nav, and the radio without nav.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
I think that the radios are rns510 (with nav) and rcd510 (without). The parts numbers listed are for different generations of the 9w7 module that has been used in newer models.

smosh

TDI
2010 Golf TDI, 2012 JSW TDI
I'm so pixxed. A month ago I had the 'settlement unit' installed and my phone hasn't worked since. Paired, but not connected. Finally got it into the dealer today...they tested someone's iPhone on it and it worked ok. My Samsung that worked fine before the upgrade? Nope. It's from a regional carrier/phone not on the 'compatibility list' (different carriers call the same handset different names).

The dealer called VWoA, whose basic position is 'pound sand, call the fulfillment house for the settlement'.

Or i guess i get a new phone, which i did not want to do for another few months.

Yeah, i miss the LED, but i miss more my phone connecting to the f'ing system.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
For those that replaced the 9w2 with the 9w7: did you have to connect any additional wiring or was it just plug and play? There are units available on eBay but some have a wiring kit and others do not. I want to make sure if I purchase one, I get the right one.

mickjane2

TDI
Mk6 golf cabriolet
I have a UK 2012 golf cabriolet DSG with MFSW I have removed a RCD 310 DAB unit and fitted an RNS 315 DAB (Late 2011). I had the internal B/T module turned of and kept the B/T unit under the seat (micro phone). I find that the PTT function is not working and wondered if this was just a codeing problem. Mick

Last edited:

mickjane2

TDI
Mk6 golf cabriolet
Well got a guy round with his Vag/Com this morning and he turned on the push to talk feature, but still no luck what next?. Mick

Maruca

TDI
2010 golf tdi
Is there an easy way to tell which radio you have installed? I know I don't have the nav system.

I just got a call from the lawyer's firm that is handling the BT issue saying I have been approved to get the new module. After reading much of this thread, I don't know what I'm about to end up with. I guess it really won't matter much in the end, as you get what you get. I would just like to have an idea going into this.
Hi, I got the card saying that I could get the upgrade but my dealer says that I don't qualify for the upgrade and they pretend that they don't know anything about this. Could you give me the phone number for the lawyer so I can contact them?
Thanks

scirocco*joe

TDI
2010 JSW
After all of this mess, I think I am going to just purchase the 9W7. My only issue is around the bluetooth streaming capability and installing the wire to actually get it to play in stereo. Does anyone have a link to a comprehensive installation thread for that portion of the install? Swapping the 9W2 unit for the 9W7 seems very straightforward.

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
After all of this mess, I think I am going to just purchase the 9W7. My only issue is around the bluetooth streaming capability and installing the wire to actually get it to play in stereo. Does anyone have a link to a comprehensive installation thread for that portion of the install? Swapping the 9W2 unit for the 9W7 seems very straightforward.
It looks like you have a 2010 JSW TDI. I don't think you have an issue with mono vs. stereo. I think that was with the 9W3 that came in the 2009 or earlier cars. At least in my 2010 Golf TDI, the 9W2 to 9W7 swap didn't require an extra wire to get stereo bluetooth. Is your car stereo now?

Last edited:

Jack in Jax

TDI
None
After 30 pages of this, would someone familiar with the 2012 Jetta (Sedan or SW) summarize for me what options must be ordered to obtain full iPhone functionality - including hands-free, streaming, phonebook and voice command? That would be most helpful and bring this thread up to date. Many thanks!

Jack

scirocco*joe

TDI
2010 JSW
It looks like you have a 2010 JSW TDI. I don't think you have an issue with mono vs. stereo. I think that was with the 9W3 that came in the 2009 or earlier cars. At least in my 2010 Golf TDI, the 9W2 to 9W7 swap didn't require an extra wire to get stereo bluetooth. Is your car stereo now?
Yes, streaming bluetooth audio it is stereo now with my 9W2. Wow, that would be fantastic news.

Can I get anyone with a 2010 Sportwagen to confirm that when they swapped to 9W7 it didn't require any rewiring?

scirocco*joe

TDI
2010 JSW
After 30 pages of this, would someone familiar with the 2012 Jetta (Sedan or SW) summarize for me what options must be ordered to obtain full iPhone functionality - including hands-free, streaming, phonebook and voice command? That would be most helpful and bring this thread up to date. Many thanks!

Jack
I don't have an answer for you, but bear in mind that the 2012 Jetta sedan is a much different beast than the Sportwagen. Different platform, different equipment, etc. I would stick with the experience of someone who has the sedan if you have the sedan.

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
Yes, streaming bluetooth audio it is stereo now with my 9W2. Wow, that would be fantastic news.
Can I get anyone with a 2010 Sportwagen to confirm that when they swapped to 9W7 it didn't require any rewiring?
Based on the fact that you confirmed it is stereo now with the 9W2, I think it is guaranteed to be the same thing with the 9W7!

smosh

TDI
2010 Golf TDI, 2012 JSW TDI
I've got a Samsung Mesmerize/Captivate/whatever that's just about two years old. Formerly, i had could answer calls via the steering wheel button and talk hands-free. Then I got the 'settlement upgrade'. And could no longer do even that. Apparently, my phone is not on The List. So, i purchased a 9W7 off eBay. Plugged it in, joined the phone, made calls via phonebook on the MFD. YAY! right?

No. The bluetooth system simply does not remember the phone and won't connect to it. If i search for it again, i can connect it. But it won't remember it.

Any ideas? Yes, i should get a new phone. But i'm waiting for a bit to see if my carrier will be getting iPhones.

icecoaster

TDI
2012 Golf Wagon
I have a 2012 Golf Wagon (Canada) with the RNS-510 head unit. When I switch from any audio source to BT-Audio, the volume is way, way up. Eardrum blasting/hearing damaging levels. I turn down the volume before I switch but if I forget - AUGH. Anyone know if there's a fix for this? BTW, my Bluetooth device is an iPhone 4.

BarryT82

Veteran Member
TDI
‘12 JSW TDI
Has anyone else had issues with the voice recognition not working? I plugged in a 7P6 035 730 J and a 5K0 035 730 D and neither one will work when I press the voice button on the steering wheel. The older 9W7 works fine though.

jrcmr03

TDI
2010 Cup Edition
is there a one shot one kill out there for these two questions?
1. want to be able to stream music, what do i need?
2. want rear view camera, what do i need?
2010 cup edition, no nav. 6disk changer,

TY in advance.