10K mpg average

one iron

TDI
NB,00,yellow
This past week turned 10K miles in my 00 Beetle. The vehicle was delivered to me 10/6/99 with 6 miles. (5-speed)

Yesterday I filled and for the first 10,330 miles. I have used 203.4 gallons of fuel. That is 50.8 mpg average over that period.
About 80 percent of that is highway Monday through Friday 90-95 miles each day. The balance is local stop and go.

Used Amoco Premier #2 since first of November. Had been adding 4 - 5 oz. of the Howes de-gel starting in November and continued until the first of February when I switched to the Power Service additive. Just ran out of the Howes. I increased the additives after an incident in third week of January to about 8 - 10 oz.

I'll be interested to continue to chart over the next six months to see during the warmer weather how it varies. Live in the Chicago area and this was by all standards a very mild winter.

Will most likely cut back on the Power Service additive with the warmer weather to possibly every other fill. Unless there is a reason to continue with each fill.

Just thought I would pass the information along to those of you who also record mpg.

Forgot to mention since 5K I have had Delvac in the engine. Prior to that it was the whatever VW puts in it at delivery.

Don't do the tank venting thing just figured it would all average out over time.

[This message has been edited by one iron (edited March 20, 2000).]

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
It just struck me that the subject of this post thread is "10k mpg average".
WELL! Is that Imperial gallons?
An average of ten thousand miles per gallon, even if it converts out to 8,333 miles per US gallon, sure beats the hell out of my measly 52 mile per gallon average. I concede.

------------------
3.5 liter Passat
"Lupo? I don't need no stinking Lupo!"