Turbo problem after 3000 rpm..

edzha90

TDI
Hi guys,

My vw passat b5 (2000) 1.9 TDI 'turbine' stops working after it hits above 3000 rpm, so I need to switch off/on car to have power again.

I have read that vacuum hoses might be faulty, how do I find out if the vacuum houses are the problem (which one)? (I have attached some pictures)

View image: 20150501 124244
View image: 20150501 124240

Perhaps there might be any other problem, any ideas guys where to start as I have a long long trip soon, so I want to be sure I have enough power to drive this car. I also hope it won't drop less than 3000rpm.

VCDS-lite gives me - 17958 error.

Regards

Last edited:

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
The search phrase you seek is "limp mode"... one billion threads, lots of great pictures, diagnostics, etc. :)

froderus

TDI
Passat 2000 1.9 TDI ATJ
Hi guys,

My vw passat b5 (2000) 1.9 TDI 'turbine' stops working after it hits above 3000 rpm, so I need to switch off/on car to have power again.

I have read that vacuum hoses might be faulty, how do I find out if the vacuum houses are the problem (which one)? (I have attached some pictures)

View image: 20150501 124244
View image: 20150501 124240

Perhaps there might be any other problem, any ideas guys where to start as I have a long long trip soon, so I want to be sure I have enough power to drive this car. I also hope it won't drop less than 3000rpm.

VCDS-lite gives me - 17958 error.

Regards
Hi.
I have a Passat 2000-model with an ATJ-engine.
A common error on these cars is a faulty mass air flow sensor.
I think I have replaced this for the third time now.
My car almost "refused" to let the turbo "kick in" and the result is a car which is almost dead.
I replaced one here the other day and my car became as new again.

Worth trying....:)

Regards,
Frode.

edzha90

TDI
Hi.
I have a Passat 2000-model with an ATJ-engine.
A common error on these cars is a faulty mass air flow sensor.
I think I have replaced this for the third time now.
My car almost "refused" to let the turbo "kick in" and the result is a car which is almost dead.
I replaced one here the other day and my car became as new again.
Worth trying....:)
Regards,
Frode.

did you scanned your car with error check? if yes, what error did you ha?

edzha90

TDI
I went to garage today, they said that turbo actuator is not moving enough as it should be. Also they said it's due by lots of carbon, so it makes vnt mechanism stuck, can that be true?

Is it possible to clean somehow without taking everything apart ?
I have drove this car about 20000km since I bought it and I had couple trips, like last summer through europe 3000km where I was speeding a lot, so a lot of carbon should be out already ?

Next week I will check with another garage to be 100% sure that is the issue.

Regards

edzha90

TDI
I changed almost all 3mm vacuum hoses, but I didn't touched vacuum reservoir hose as I wasn't sure how to unplug, do I need to use some force to get out that hose from reservoir ?

Also I found a (really) small hole in inter cooler pipe (that's how it's called?)

picture here - http://www.neomoto1.webd.pl/AUCTION...o hose VW Passat B5 058145856C shop2 MOTO.jpg

I even blow some air from my mouth into that hole and I can feel that air goes through. Hole is under inter cooler pipe exactly where it touches oil filter.

Would that give me a limp mode as well ?

Btw there is a little oil in inter cooler hose as well.

When the car was on I took off vacuum hose from vacuum actuator and I can see movement not sure how many mm but it does move. Is there any way how physically I can move actuator ?

I read that n75 connector should give 12V but it only gave me about 6V when car was on any ideas?

Last edited: