OT: Looking to move, maybe to NC. Seeking input.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
the one that still bugs me down here is referring to turning on a piece of equipment, even a light switch, as "cutting it on". If you want to be a good Southerner, you will learn to drink sweet tea and eat grits. Those are the primary reasons that I will be a Midwesterner for life.

As far as the soda, pop, coke, debate. We used pop in Nebraska and Iowa growing up. It's soda in most parts of NC. Only time I've heard the "what flavor of coke do you want" was in New York City. I think Coke is a generic term in Atlanta, where it's from, but Pepsi is from NC, so we don't want to associate with Coke. (just kidding)

Oh, I forgot that y'all is acceptable in the plural is "all y'all". If someone says, "Y'all ain't goin' believe this one!" have the phone ready to record the stupid stunt and then to call 911.

Ike T

TDI
2003 Jetta
Oh, I forgot that y'all is acceptable in the plural is "all y'all". If someone says, "Y'all ain't goin' believe this one!" have the phone ready to record the stupid stunt and then to call 911.
Much like "hold my beer and watch this" is a cue to hit the emergency dialer... if you can stop laughing.

The toboggan thing bugs my wife. Especially when it's pronounced "TOE-bahgen" instead of "tuh-bahgen". Those are snow sleds where she's from. We just used table tops and sheet metal when we had the chance to slide the ice.

WestVa304

TDIClub Contributor
TDI
2005 TDI Jetta Wagon, 2004 Passa Tdi 5spd
I've lived in Asheville area for three years now, and it'd take an army to remove me!

As long as living downtown isn't the plan, housing is very affordable. Mountain biking is huge here! Just look up Bent Creek ten minutes from dt, miles and miles of trails! It only gets better deeper into the mountains. As far as any of the non mountainous regions of the state are concerned, the heat is unbearable in the summer. Asheville very rarely sees 90 degrees on any given summer day.

The organic and environmental movement are huge here. It's like it's own state/country in that regard. Probably good work for you with such credentials. It's very rare to see a vw that isn't TDI :) The medical industry has a strong foothold as well. Mission Hospital is regularly top fifty in the nation.

There are a good bit of hippies, but it's not overrun by them. The tourism is huge, but even at rush hour on a summer day it's rare to be delayed anymore than 10-15 minutes to the other side of town. Besides, if biking and whatnot are you're interests, you'll likely be away from town for summer leisure. A huge plus is you can live on top of a secluded mountain and only be a thirty minute drive from downtown. My favorite beach, Folly Beach, is only four hours down 26. I grew up going to Myrtle Beach and that's like the Hollywood of beaches. Folly is more of a tropical island laid back feel.

The restaurants are top notch and endless. It's Beer City USA with 32 breweries in the county alone. It's Bee City USA. Transylvania county is land of the waterfalls. Mount Mitchell 45 minutes east of town is the highest point in the east. Clingmans Dome in the smokies and hour west is the second highest. Most don't know Mt. Washington is only the third tallest. Just the mountain scenery in every direction is unlike anywhere in Appalachia.

I've also done a lot of traveling all over the country and no town, city, or region has ever been so generally kind and conscious as this area. It's hard to fathom even after a few years. Sorry for the ramble but it's tough to put into few words.

joep1234

Veteran Member
TDI
former '04 Beetle TDI, now 2x '15 Audi Q5 TDI's, 2007 Dodge Ram 4x4 6.7
I live outside of Charlotte and my wife and I own a healthcare business and have lived here for over 40 years. Charlotte has some of everything and a really good healthcare system. Just over in SC near Rock Hill or Gaffney land and housing is very reasonable. Less than 3 hours to the mountains or the beach and moderate winter temps. The only time we get snow is if it comes through Atlanta but we have some ice storms but they are gone in a day or two. We have had 60's at Christmas and New Years with the lowest temps in the low teens or high single digits that only last a week or less. Spring has hit as early as late February but we always have at least of spring around the middle of February. We usually don't have frost after the end of March or early April. Stay at least 40 miles outside of the major cities for decent real estate prices.

Last edited:

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
So Abacus, after two months of posts in this thread, are you any closer to making a decision?

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
Since we haven't been there yet to look around, not a whole lot closer. But we have looked at home prices on Zillow and done some virtual tours. It really depends on the flavor when we visit next May. I doubt a trip will happen this year due to the vacation we had in the Keys, and other commitments, but we'll get there soon enough.

I'll be sure to let people know when we're coming. Until then, keep up the insight, this is exactly what I was hoping for. We're smack dab in the middle of Bug Season up here, so anywhere else is looking good right now. The damned black flies will carry you away even walking to your car.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
We don't have the black flies, just mosquitoes and no-see-ems. If we get rain, you can get your blood drained fairly quickly. No rain, no issues.

Come on down. We need a good diesel mechanic in Charlotte.

panthers89fan90

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Jetta TDI
Guess I'll chime in here. You don't need a southern accent or any of that other stuff. I don't know why people think people from NC have thick southern accents. Most of us don't. I've lived here all my life and have never been told I had an accent at all. I talk normal for an American I guess you can say. I don't say soda or pop, I just say soft drink. Most of the time, this refers to Dr. Pepper or Cheerwine. You may have never had Cheerwine. It's the shiz though! I do say y'all and ain't. But most of us do down here. After while meaning later on is popular as well.

The mosquitos get bad in some areas. I've been eaten up before. Spray your legs with vinegar, they hate the stuff. Most bugs do.

Most popular car around here is a Mustang. Everybody and their baby mama has a Mustang.

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
Interesting, I have never heard the term 'cheerwine' before, ever. I just looked it up and will have to try some. I'd never heard of Mr Pibb before going into the military so you never know what different regions offer, which is one of the things I'm seeking info about.

Oh, I'm sure my accent will stand out, despite also not having one.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
It depends on how far north in Maine you are as to how much your accent stands out. I work with a lady that grew up within spitting distance of the Quebec line. She didn't learn to speak English until she went to school.

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
See, that's the difference in regions. She speaks Fringlish, which is a mixture of French and English and is unique to the north border areas. Knowing some French, I can muddle my way through most of the time but it's like trying to speak in Pig Latin and a royal pain in the rear.

The downeast region has its own accent different from the rest of the state. They're a little more rural and keep to themselves while still being a good lot. Mostly fishermen and loggers with some blueberry barons tossed in for flavor. Downeast is defined as: "When ships sailed from Boston to ports in Maine (which were to the east of Boston), the wind was at their backs, so they were sailing downwind, hence the term 'Down East.' And it follows that when they returned to Boston they were sailing upwind; many Mainers still speak of going 'up to Boston,' despite the fact that the city lies approximately 50 miles to the south of Maine’s southern border."[4]

The mountains and mid region really don't have accents or anything unique about them. The south and south coast is considered part of Mass and not that desirable.

Here you're not considered a 'Mainer' unless you have multiple generations from Maine, because as the addage goes: 'Just because a cat has kittens in the oven it doesn't make them biscuits.'

I know North Carolina (and vicinity) probably has similar nuances, and we're fine with that. I know we'll be transplants but that's OK. I also know some still hold animosity about the north because of the whole war thing long before any of us were born (I was in the military and saw this firsthand but it was years ago). It's those places so entrenched that I'd like to avoid if possible....and cities. I am not a city person.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
At least in my dealings around NC, the worst areas for having not forgotten about "The war of Northern Aggression" are the east to southeast little towns in what is referred to as the coastal areas and the sandhill areas. One of my daughter's roommates got a teaching job in that area. Sounded a lot like she signed a late 1800s prairie school contract. IIRC, it still went as far as specifying hours for male callers. My daughter taught in a small town that many of the families were related and had been there since the time the king was still granting properties. You don't have to be in the city, but you will probably want to be near one.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
My wife grew up in Greensboro and she had what we in Massachusetts would call a wicked accent. People here constantly pointed it out to her. Abacus doesn't have a super strong Maine accent, but people in NC will notice he's not from there. Not that it matters, people move around all the time.

SFHGolfTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jolf GLS TDI - Reflex Silver (purchased 2011) | Previously: 2001 Golf GL TDI - Indigo Blue (sold 2005)
No offense taken. It is not for everybody (but sometime it feels like everybody is here anyway).

Don't know if you read the last couple of lines of my post. Move to Utah would be my pick of the 3 locations you mentioned.
As another Californian, I will put a plug in for the West generally. (Living in LA, we are looking to get out far from SoCal at some point, but for now I grew up here and parents are here; it is a tough place to live on many levels, but when/if you can skip the traffic, it can be amazing.)

With your interests, I think if you moved West you wouldn't look back. Utah, Colorado, New Mexico, Nevada, PNW, even NorCal or the Sierras. I love high mountains and big ranges, so I had an immensely difficult time when I was in "exile" back east for a few years (yes, there are some "mountains," but it's just different).

Also, with your water and environmental expertise, you will be in high demand in our drought stricken lands. As far as your wife's career, let's just say you both are very fortunate to have that kind of mobility.

Good luck with the move!

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I love high mountains and big ranges, so I had an immensely difficult time when I was in "exile" back east for a few years (yes, there are some "mountains," but it's just different).
Overall, I agree that the views of and from the mountains out west are more spectacular than in the east. However, there are a few spots in the NC, VA, and WV area that shouldn't be missed. The Linville viaduct on the Blue Ridge Parkway in NC is hung off the side of the mountain. The views of Fancy Gap, VA and the New River Gorge, WV are ones that everyone should see at some point. Even better is to get off the highway and explore the New River.

Houpty GT

Veteran Member
TDI
Corrado TDI, 2000 Golf, 1996 B4 Variant
Cheerwine is much tastier than Moxie but it does not cause delirium when you drink too much.

I drove through Fancy Gap this weekend. So nice but I think every yard was having a yard sale till 5PM. Also saw pilot mountain.

The east coast has so much more within driving distance.

SFHGolfTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jolf GLS TDI - Reflex Silver (purchased 2011) | Previously: 2001 Golf GL TDI - Indigo Blue (sold 2005)
The east coast has so much more within driving distance.
I guess that's what's appealing about the west to me. Remoteness. Wildness. Huge open country and big ranges that AREN'T accessible by car.

john.jackson9213

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1996 B4V
Not a lot of places where you can go surfing in the morning and ski at 7000 ft for lunch. Then have dinner in the desert and go home at night. Where do you do that on the east coast? It really is so much about where you grow up.

Last edited:

SFHGolfTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Not a lot of places where you can go surfing in the morning and ski at 7000 ft for lunch. Then have dinner in the desert and go home at night. Where do you do that on the east coast? It really is so much about where you grow up.
It's true. You can literally do this in Los Angeles. As much as traffic and sprawl can suck in this city, the San Gabriel Mountains are an amazing and somewhat hidden treasure. 10k+ foot Mt. Baldy is snow-capped for part of the winter (when we aren't in a drought anyway). And within an hour of almost all of Los Angeles (and minutes in the foothill cities) are remote lush Aspen and Sycamore canyons with meandering creeks and waterfalls, nestled in some very rugged terrain. You can literally be in wilderness and on the trail in 0-60 minutes of anywhere in this freeway mess of a metropolis.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
This may be true but no one ever does it. It's like people who rave about how good the museums are and what great theater they have in their city, but never go to either.

We have mountains, too, albeit small ones. And we have areas that are truly rural that include trees, bodies of water, and farms. And way better beaches. The Carolinas have a lot of that, too, and western NC is equally beautiful, although different. I think the OP would end up there long before he'd venture west.

SFHGolfTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Don't let LA color your view of the west or Cali too much!

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
From Charlotte, I can be skiing or sitting on the beach within four hours. Of course I can't do both in the same day. Having spent some time on both coasts, I have to say I prefer the Atlantic beeches. Whiter sand and warm surf. Current water temps are in the mid 70s and will go up into the 80s by the end of summer. Sand is whiter too. Although nothing beats the Gulf Coast of Florida. Bright white beaches, shallow sand bars that let you wade off coast for 50 - 100 feet, and little to no waves. At least when there are no hurricanes.

john.jackson9213

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1996 B4V
From Charlotte, I can be skiing or sitting on the beach within four hours. Of course I can't do both in the same day. Having spent some time on both coasts, I have to say I prefer the Atlantic beeches. Whiter sand and warm surf. Current water temps are in the mid 70s and will go up into the 80s by the end of summer. Sand is whiter too. Although nothing beats the Gulf Coast of Florida. Bright white beaches, shallow sand bars that let you wade off coast for 50 - 100 feet, and little to no waves. At least when there are no hurricanes.
The Gulf Stream is warmer, no doubt, than the cold water we get out of Alaska! I was impressed a heck how cheap beach front property was there in 95 or 96. $150K for a beach front house was like 5 cents on the dollar for me. Then we saw TV pictures of that huge 1996/97 hurricane. No more $150K house, just a pile of sand and broken wood.
I understand the appeal of inexpensive property, but can not stand the humidity. Which is why I suggested Utah of the choices under consideration.

john.jackson9213

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1996 B4V
This may be true but no one ever does it. It's like people who rave about how good the museums are and what great theater they have in their city, but never go to either.
I understand that. I have been meaning to go to the Huntington Library again for close to 10 years. But I do go to the beach at La Jolla, even in the winter, just to walk for a couple of miles.

SFHGolfTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
The Gulf Stream is warmer, no doubt, than the cold water we get out of Alaska! I was impressed a heck how cheap beach front property was there in 95 or 96. $150K for a beach front house was like 5 cents on the dollar for me. Then we saw TV pictures of that huge 1996/97 hurricane. No more $150K house, just a pile of sand and broken wood.
I understand the appeal of inexpensive property, but can not stand the humidity. Which is why I suggested Utah of the choices under consideration.
I'm with John on the humidity. I think those of us who were raised or lived for significant amounts of time in this climate have a difficult time dealing with it. When I spent a 4 years in DC for grad school, I found it unbearable. Allergies were terrible also.

But yes, the beaches are warm. I'll take high mountains over warm beaches any day though. :eek:

earlthepearl

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 New Beetle 5M, 2004 Passat 6M, 2009 Jetta Sedan (buy back), 2010 Touareg (buy back)
I lived in Asheville for over a year, and really liked it. Much to see and do, and beautiful too. But, I moved 45 minutes East to Burke County in the foothills/mountains. Home to the Linville Gorge Wilderness area, Lake James, two State Parks, Pisgah National Forest and the Blue Ridge Parkway to the North. There are five wineries, (1 OK, 2 good, and 2 great). Morganton has two breweries, lots of music, and lots of folks walking on the streets in the evenings. I guess you could call it a Mini-Asheville. Housing and service trades are very reasonable. It has been a very nice place to live, in what I call "the land of the 10 minute rush hour".:D

We're 1.5 hours from Charlotte, if you have need to do "big city" shopping, or catch an international flight.