Suggestions for Replacement rotors and pads for 2012 treg

BadgerFan

TDI
2012 Touareg TDI Executive, White
Tried searching for a quality replacement pads and Front rotors for my 2012 treg TDI but not getting good results . 72k miles (almost all highway) on the original set but now need to replace .

I had Zimmerman drilled rotors on my 2005 Passat TDI and was very happy.

Looking for an upgrade over OEM in front rotors and pads.

Thanks in advance

Badger fan

NoobyT

Veteran Member
TDI
N/A
Zimmermann rotors and PAGID pads [OEM fitting] are a common theme on the US Touareg forum.

I assume you have changed the brake fluid on schedule haven't you?

That's 3 years from new to the first change and then every 2 years.

Don't fit drilled or slotted rotors if you go off road at all. Mud and stones fill them up and bugger up your pads.

It's also common VW dealer practice to replace all four rotors and their pads at the same time: there are arguments for [maintaining a balanced set-up is the simplest précis] and against [cost!]. Personally I do all four.

Last edited:

leicaman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE, 2005 TDI GLS, RIP
I just would not do drilled. Are the stock brakes not good enough? IF they worked well for you could just go and get them or non-drilled zimmermans. I am personally NOT a big fan of drilled rotors as there are just too many stupid stones etc by me. Lets face it your car is not exactly a lightweight and 72k out of a set of brakes isn't bad.

state

TDI
2012 TREG TDI
Tire Rack for rotors and pads

For my 2012 TREG TDI, I recently replaced all four rotors with Centric. They are a high quality rotor that have black "e-coating" on the "hat" portion (and inside the vanes). This coating pretty much eliminates ugly rust (at least here in SOCAL!).

I also went with Hawk street pads for the front. They didn't have a rear application, so I stayed with OEM.

The biggest reason I did this was to eliminate a horrible low-speed squeal. It was most prevalent up front, but I think it used to happen out back too. Anyhow, it seems to work. It stops a bit better, and no more squealing!

BadgerFan

TDI
Thanks to all who replied

I just purchased F/R Zimmerman rotors , break wear indicators and pagid T1937 and T1499 pads . (Front and rear)

A couple of additional questions

(1) there are discussions regarding " bedding the pads" not sure what this is ? Is thus at installation or driving ?

(2) I am having indie mechanic install the rotors and pads but dealership
Do the break service (fluid change) should the fluid be changed prior to or after brake job? Does it matter?

Thanks in advance

Badger fan

NoobyT

Veteran Member
TDI
N/A
Change the fluid after the rotor/pad change.

Bedding brakes in after they have been changed is not really necessary.

BadgerFan

TDI
Thank you for the advice . Will post how the new pads and rotors workout.

Dan