After 2 weeks w/ Front elevated for clutch Job Runs Badly- No Power

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI 2000 Jetta TDI 2000 New Beetle TDI ALL 5 speeds
You are making a big assumption with one data point for evidence. Good luck getting that pump to come out the next time it needs to be replaced; it's already hard enough without having to deal with RTV.

It's more plausible it was something else, anything but some factory chinese factor. Bearing failures have been noted here and so have impellers detaching from the shaft.
The old saying goes "not my monkey not my circus"

That's his problem if he glues his water pump in...but I couldn't agree more with the struggle to get it out while it's hanging from a bar or balanced on a jack and beside the frame rail to boot...I would source a bulletproof seal before I glued it in if I suspected seal failure exclusively and not something like luck of the draw bad o-ring or improper mounting/installation.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

RayGatz

TDI
2003 Jetta SW. TDI 5 sp & 01 sedan TDI 5sp. (extra 01 TDI totaled- parts car) "Optilube Summer" fuel additive
Water Pump

Thought you said it was a hepu

My Mistake It is a GEBA that I installed (metal Impeller) Apparently it qualifies as a 100K component from IDParts.com

Some people reading this thread may have missed that i was dealing with Both of My 2003 TDI's This Month..... First one is the Sedan T-Belt... Second one is the wagon Clutch.. w/ the Vacuum Delema afterwards... :)

RayGatz

TDI
2003 Jetta SW. TDI 5 sp & 01 sedan TDI 5sp. (extra 01 TDI totaled- parts car) "Optilube Summer" fuel additive
IP Seals / WP O-ring 2 different animals

You are making a big assumption with one data point for evidence. Good luck getting that pump to come out the next time it needs to be replaced; it's already hard enough without having to deal with RTV.

It's more plausible it was something else, anything but some factory chinese factor. Bearing failures have been noted here and so have impellers detaching from the shaft. Anyone installing a part with an oring knows they have to be careful lest they tear or nick the oring. If you have ever replaced the seals on an IP, that's a big deal to be very careful how you assemble.

Dude... That water pump was Solid (except for the Plastic impeller) And No doubt whatsoever the O-ring failed... I guess any dealer can hire a Jerk who would tear up an o-ring installing a WP. ... Regardless, I dont want to do another premature 100K Job... Id rather wrestle with the RTV'd water pump Later and have the assurance My wife isnt going to be half way accross the country and that happen again... (she just returned From a 4000 mile round trip driving it with her sis a week before it Blew... Fortunately I was driving it and took measures to get it home without completely overheating it )

As for IP seals I just had to do that on my wagon recently @ 258K... It was slowly weeping fuel down the side of the pump... And i diddnt RTV it... Just know I haven't become an RTV Freak (Or cult leader) :) But on the ALH Water Pump I will RTV it ... One O-ring failure is enough for me to make assurances it wont happen again... Thanks for your Input....

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
The old saying goes "not my monkey not my circus"

That's his problem if he glues his water pump in...but I couldn't agree more with the struggle to get it out while it's hanging from a bar or balanced on a jack and beside the frame rail to boot...I would source a bulletproof seal before I glued it in if I suspected seal failure exclusively and not something like luck of the draw bad o-ring or improper mounting/installation.

It may not be my dog in the race but....

I am only refuting his claim because someone will end up reading this thread and might come to the conclusion RTV is needed on the water pump seal. I am just trying to make sure that bit of nonsense dies in this thread. Could he have had a bad seal? Maybe. Weird, but there are defects in workmanship in any brand for any part. Trends of bad parts do eventually work their way to this forum. Maybe it was a Prothe pump. :D

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
Dude... That water pump was Solid (except for the Plastic impeller) And No doubt whatsoever the O-ring failed... I guess any dealer can hire a Jerk who would tear up an o-ring installing a WP. ... Regardless, I dont want to do another premature 100K Job... Id rather wrestle with the RTV'd water pump Later and have the assurance My wife isnt going to be half way accross the country and that happen again... (she just returned From a 4000 mile round trip driving it with her sis a week before it Blew... Fortunately I was driving it and took measures to get it home without completely overheating it )

As for IP seals I just had to do that on my wagon recently @ 258K... It was slowly weeping fuel down the side of the pump... And i diddnt RTV it... Just know I haven't become an RTV Freak (Or cult leader) :) But on the ALH Water Pump I will RTV it ... One O-ring failure is enough for me to make assurances it wont happen again... Thanks for your Input....
At least you aren't the loctite freak. :D

Do what you got to do. It is your car afterall. You have to do what you feel is best.. for you.