Swaping 2010 seat into later model

CaseyR

I bought my 2010 TDI Sportwagen in large part because it was one of the few vehicles of that vintage in which I could sit up straight with my straight arm driving style and not have my head pushed forward by the head restraint bolster. For various reasons, I am now considering selling the 2010 Sportwagen back to VW as part of the settlement and would like to replace it with a slightly newer, lower mileage TDI Sportwagen. The problem is that apparently starting in 2011, Volkswagen joined most other vehicle manufacturers in setting the head restraint bolster so that it projects several inches forward of the top of the seat back. I simply refuse to drive with my head pitched forward that way. Does anyone know what would be required to swap the 2010 seats into a later model TDI Sportwagen? Or is there some other way to move the head restraint bolster back a few inches?
Thanks.

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
Maybe just keep your headrests. Just swap them into the new car. I bet they have the same posts. You could probably get used headrests from a junkyard or online to stick into your car for when you trade in your car. You could even try putting the rear headrests in the front for the trade in process.

Removing headrest at 1:45

Last edited:

ihatespeed

Veteran Member
TDI
11 tdi wagon 6mt 15 golf 6mt (Wife's) 2000 Ford 350 7.3l 6mt 4x4 (technically a TDI)
My wife hates the head forward rests, we just put the rear seat head rests in the front and the fronts in the rear, doesn't bother me, but I don't have much hair either.