South - Central PA specific fueling station recomendations

amattel

TDI
'98 Jetta TDI
SO far I have tried a sunoco, a Hess, and a bp/amoco. I had high hopes for the bp/amoco supreme diesel from what I have read here, but am disapointed with the lackluster performance I have achieved from the station I tried in Camp Hill, PA.

My best results so far have been with the Carlisle, Hess station.

Does anyone local to South central PA have any recommmendations for specific stations that have high quality fuel?

Thanks,

Adam

4XTaco

Veteran Member
TDI
11 Touareg
Stations in Yrok I usually get diesel at without issues and I haven't noticed a drop in mileage or performance:

Hess station in Green Valley along I83 (between York and Harrisburg)- usually super cheap compared to the other stations in the area. Truck and auto pumps and gets very good diesel traffic including big rigs etc.

Hess station in W York on West Market St near the fairgrounds. Fair amount of diesel traffic- contractors and cars.

Hess station in E York on East Market St (corner of Market and Memory). Gets a fair amount of diesel traffic contractors, cars.

Rutters station on Richland Ave across from York College is usually pretty good. Gets a good amount of contractors and cars with diesels.

Royal Farms at Rte 74 and Leader Heights Rd is usually decent priced and gets a good amount of diesel traffic including contractors, cars and Fedex and UPS trucks.

Turkey Hill on East Market St in York city (at the city limits) is usually pretty good but does not get much diesel traffic- but I haven't had any issues yet. The prices are give and take.

bottlediger

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS
Im located in York as well and that hess station along 83 is always 15-20 cents cheaper a gallon! Only filled up there once.

I always fill up at turkeyhill on 462 infront of foodlion right now its 2.25 a gallon I think

4XTaco

Veteran Member
TDI
11 Touareg
amattel said:
Thanks 4xTaco.

So Hess is a good place after all. Do you use fuel additives?
Out of all the stations I listed I prefer getting Diesel at Hess's over the others.

During the Summer normally no, as long as I am not having any crappy fuel issues... during the Winter- Power Service White bottle. I picked up a gallon this year so I am still working on it between my TDI and my PSD Excursion.

Hansi

TDI
two 2003 5 speed wagons, 2000 golf 5speed, 1996 passat tdi
Hess gives me the best mpg, it was $2.13 at etters on monday, if your near shady maple in east earl try some B5 biodiesel at Martins, a good comercial fueling is at greenfield exit pacific pride lancaster rt.30 which is also B5, .

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
amattel said:
SO far I have tried a sunoco, a Hess, and a bp/amoco. I had high hopes for the bp/amoco supreme diesel from what I have read here, but am disapointed with the lackluster performance I have achieved from the station I tried in Camp Hill, PA....
What are your expectations? Maybe you are expecting to see differences that are just not to be had. There are some differences in fuels, especially with the additive packages in them, but they are generally not large differences.

MayorDJQ

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Golf 2dr 6m, sold.
Diesel is basically the same, no matter where you buy it. You've only had 7 fill-ups? When was the last time the intake manifold was cleaned?

amattel

TDI
'98 Jetta TDI
What are your expectations? Maybe you are expecting to see differences that are just not to be had. There are some differences in fuels, especially with the additive packages in them, but they are generally not large differences.
I may be wrong as it has only been 7 fill ups so far, but it seems like there is a general 2-3mpg difference between Hess and the "bad" Bp diesel I tried in Camp Hill. Now it is possible it is all about how I drove that tank, but my subjective experience of it is that I should not have been down in the 42's for how I was driving. I tried another Bp in Carlisle, and feel that did much better for me, but I still can't rule out that it is all in my head at this point ;)

I will keep on watching and experimenting with different stations (though mostly sticking with Hess now) just to get a better feel of the differences.

amattel

TDI
'98 Jetta TDI
Diesel is basically the same, no matter where you buy it. You've only had 7 fill-ups? When was the last time the intake manifold was cleaned?
That may be so. What I have read so far on the net seems to indicate a 2-4 mpg difference between the "bad" diesel and the "good".

At this point it is just an experiment to see what I find, though admittedly, a subjective experiment as I can't really substantiate exactly what mpg I should have gotten with the way I drove on a particular tank unless perhaps the whole tank was used on the highway at 60 mph.

4XTaco

Veteran Member
TDI
11 Touareg
Hansi said:
Hess gives me the best mpg, it was $2.13 at etters on monday, if your near shady maple in east earl try some B5 biodiesel at Martins, a good comercial fueling is at greenfield exit pacific pride lancaster rt.30 which is also B5, .
Mmmmm Shady Maple- and the B5 rocks at the truck stop... we fill up there everytime we go there.