Almost 2" of lift with 1 " Metalnerd Kit with VR6 springs

tothemax

Top Post Dawg
TDI
TDIs: 2003 Jetta, 2016 Q5 3.0
[FONT=&quot]After many long hours and a few redo's, I finally completed the installation of my 1" Metalnerd Kit with VR6 springs and I am extremely pleased with the result. It was well worth the effort. The Newbie factor accounted for about 90% of the added effort and time.

At the end of the day(s), It gave me 1 3/4" of lift without compromising the travel by 2" in the front.

My VR 6 springs are those from the OEM sport suspension:
Green/ Green/ Green/ Silver in the back
Blue/ Blue/White /White/ in the front

I installed the 1" metalnerd spacer on the rear, under the spring and got 1" of lift from that plus 3/4" from the VR6 springs

I installed the 1" metalnerd spacer on the front, top of the strut, and got 1" of lift from that plus 3/4" from the VR6 springs.

The top of the wheel well is 28 1/4" off the ground both front and rear.

it used to be 26 1/2" before I did the work with standard OEM springs and no lift kit.

it was a pretty hard job because I tried first to compress the spring inside the wheel well instead of dropping the sub frame on the passenger side. What a mistake that was.

[/FONT][FONT=&quot] I also struggled putting the springs back on in the back. These VR6 springs were longer than the ones I have and I could not get them to fit with the 1" metalnerd spacer. I had to use just the jack and apply right lift to keep the springs in place while I put the shocks back in. They tended to come out because they initially would not fit square on the spring rest. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
I should have followed the procedure posted here the first time

http://fortuneman.tripod.com/suspension/install.htm

This guy did a great job explaining everything for newbie’s like me. I just followed his method step by step and it went really well.

After 7 hours of work last night and 6 this morning, I am very pleased with the handling and the look.

[/FONT]

TDICADDGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 BMW X5 35D
Looks good. However I would expect that you will lose a little bit of height as the springs settle in as time and miles pass on.

JungleDeath

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Golf_11 JSW
Oooh. Nice. I also did a combo lift/sorta...
I don't think I read it but what was the reason for the lift?
What size are your wheels/rims?

Nice job.

KROUT

persona non grata
I think it looks retarded sitting that high. The front is higher than the back. Sorry just my opinion. But If you live in an area where you need more ground clearance then its good.

TDI
2003 Jetta
I have almost the same setup with my Jetta. I have the Metalhead's 1 inch lift with Rockauto.com front V6 coil springs. I still need to put the rear coil springs in sometime.

First thing I noticed with my setup is that my MPGs are lower. I get low 40s instead mid 40s going 80 mph. I hope by getting the matching rear coils in that will get my MPG higher due to the front is higher than the rear.

SilveR316

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 VW Golf 1.9L TDI
Pardon my ignorance... but why would one want to lift their car? :confused: It looks horrible imo.

I live in an area where there are massive pot holes and uneven roads (the hell hole known as Toronto :rolleyes:). I have my car lowered 1.5" and I've never bottomed out or scraped the bottom of my car.

TDI
2003 Jetta
I drive 120 miles a day for work and I have to be there. We snow storms that will put down a foot and we are away from the big city thats mean trouble.

SilveR316 said:
Pardon my ignorance... but why would one want to lift their car? :confused: It looks horrible imo.

I live in an area where there are massive pot holes and uneven roads (the hell hole known as Toronto :rolleyes:). I have my car lowered 1.5" and I've never bottomed out or scraped the bottom of my car.

JungleDeath

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Golf_11 JSW
SilveR316 said:

Sorry, I couldn't resist. This is my wife's car:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5o_-NR7pK0

Here's another..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEK6GrzfXRA

Along with my lift comes larger wheels that look proportional to stock; wheel well gap is similar.

Last edited:

SilveR316

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 VW Golf 1.9L TDI

ecodean

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 golf, 85 jetta(sold), 03 jetta(sold)
Cooool video:D :D :D, where was it taken and what is the music. And as far as using a 4X4, wheres the fun in that?

tothemax

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I guess it's a good thing you own your car and I own mine.

I kinda like it that hige. it's opnly 2" higher that stock and contrary to what the other poster said, it's esactly 28 1/4" to the top of the wheel well front and back.

I have always had pick ups all my lift and I cannot get used to the ****ty valence design that scrapes and pulls out over everything. Steep Driveways, snow banks, wheel stops etc. I guess I was getting tired of constantly pulling out my front bumper while backing down curbs or catching on stuff.

Now I have better clearance and it's easier to get in and out of the car.

Plus I really like the way it looks.

With the vr6 springs and the Koni reds, it's so stiff that I bet it corners as good as someone with a lowered suspension except i do not catch on stuff.

Maybe I just can't retrain myself after 34 years of driving a pick up :)

To each his own I guess.

Peace Out

P

SilveR316 said:

JungleDeath

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Golf_11 JSW
ecodean said:
JungleDeath, does your wife know about this?
She get's scared on the high speed runs. So we do the low speed, rock crawls and exploration stuff together with my daughter. We take a lot of pics and scout out camp sites n stuff.
She likes the extra ride height and the the slightly stiffer susp. on the street.

Back to the OP:

It is nice to have the extra height. Besides the silly baja style runs, I don't hit parking stops anymore, retreads just go under the car, and snow driving is just that little bit easier.

I don't have a pic but after the lift (@ 1" total, more soon) I installed (larger) tires that look a lot closer (well to tire gap) to stock proportions.

Last edited:

tothemax

Top Post Dawg
TDI
WOW !!! She looks great !!!! A real beauty

Mine is more of a commuter car - nothing too fancy just functional

but I love the way your car looks. i aprticularly like your headlights and the black on the side and on the bumper.

P

Cshell said:
I more of a STRONG supporter of a drop myself:

tothemax

Top Post Dawg
TDI
$150 from metalnerd

About five hours to install. the rear is much easier than the front. If you have experience doing strut replacement, then it should be much faster. I struggled R & R the front shock. i should have lowered the sub frame right away and then it was a cake walk.

You also need the strut spreader $10 tool. without it it's a real PITA.

i can send you better photo of the install if you are interested

This guy here has got a great way to remove the front struts, follow it and it's be simple:

http://fortuneman.tripod.com/suspension/install.htm

P

Berniem said:
How much is the kit? Lots of install time involved.

JungleDeath

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Golf_11 JSW
Jeepmb said:
JungleDeath, can you report on what mileage you are getting with the lift?
The lift (imo) does nothing to your mileage. Maybe, by exposing the bottom side to more frontal air may increase drag. I have a Panzer on so I don't know.

My mileage has somewhat gone down...but I feel it is from the tire size change and brand (Sumitomo HTR H4 205/65-15) rather than the lift itself. @ the same time I installed pp520's and use B100, so...

Please don't forget, I four wheel my car in places most suv owners wouldn't dare. Rippin' @ off road does not exactly help fuel economy. The tires I chose are somewhat aggressive for off road, pretty good in snow, but somewhat lame during normal paved driving. I chose an all season tire with the largest, and most sipes. That is not exactly a recipe for good fuel economy but I knew that going in.

The next set will be even worse for economy but favor off road/snow traction.