VW Transporter T5

The_Transporter

Veteran Member
TDI
Transporter 2.5 (174Bhp), 2004, Wheat Beige
Thanks Schultzy.

Being female, Sadie is a bit of a badge freak and doesn't care for the VW, she much prefers the festering old wreck with the BMW badge in the corner

turin05

TDI
transporter,2006,blue
I just bought a transporter 1.9 lts. 104 hp 5 vel..I've had it for almost two weeks.I think it will be very soon that I'll have to refuel.At this pace I will soon forget how to do it.

The_Transporter

Veteran Member
TDI
I would hazard a guess that the 1.9 104Bhp will be the most popular option here in the UK, plenty of go for the job in hand, and very good on juice, good luck with your new van, let us know if you ever have to fill it up again

T5TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
T5 Transporter 2.5
Hi Transporter,

I think you are right. I would love to try the 104 HP remembering my beloved T4 102 HP. I tried the 130 HP version before I bought mine and it felt great, but I really only wanted to get my mitts on a 174 at that time and when I did I was stunned and still am. However unless you have a real reason (like towing as I do) for owning the 174 there probably isn't much point. Unless of course you really do love your van

Driving between Cornwall and London a fair bit I reckon the 130s seem to to have it but that might just be because I spend so much time on the motorway.

The_Transporter

Veteran Member
TDI
Hi T5TDI

Bearing in mind the stuff that I tow with my van, the 174 engine does seem to be a bit of an extravigance, but my rational for it was that com the Summer, I shall spend more time in it than my livingroom. It is my workshop and office, and although a lot of the time it would be within a 50 mile radius of my home, it is not unusual for me to have to drive down to the South of France or Spain.

I have driven both the T4 2.5L 102 and the T5 1.9L 104 and to be honest there wasn't much in it, though naturally the 1.9 did seem to lack a little low down grunt, but both of them did seem like flying machines compared to my little 1.9TD

T5TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
T5 Transporter 2.5
I'm about the same with my van. When I'm using it for work it's a mobile workshop, when I'm not it's full of bikes, windsurf equipment and other stuff you need when your are towing a caravan (which it all but ignores)

I always feel a bit mean going on about engines that aren't available in the US, hehheh sorry chaps

kotflb

TDI
Passat 05 Black GLS
I was trying to figure if I could switch the badge to say "GMC" and get one shipped over here to the US.
What kind of fuel mileage to you get? And what final drive ratio come with those vans? I like em!

The_Transporter

Veteran Member
TDI
I get around 36mpg (Imperial gallons) running round town, with two sets of ladders on the roof and a gross weight of 2400Kg, Maximum Gross weight of the vehicle is 2800Kg. I do drive it enthusiastically, but do not hammer it. I don't know what the final drive ratio is, but 2000rpm equates to a smidge under 70mph in sixth gear. I have driven virtually all of the vans available in the UK, and I would say that we have a good selection of really good light commercials but the Transporter was the winner for me.

kotflb

TDI
Passat 05 Black GLS
That equals to about 30.5mpg US, I think. The nearest thing we have to that is the MB (Dodge, Freightliner) Sprinter, which gets about 25mpg US.

My '05 Passat runs 65mph at 2000 rpm and I beleive the final drive is a 3:10 ratio.

Thanks for the info, still wondering if the GMC badge will fit the Transport!

turin05

TDI
transporter,2006,blue
After 2000 kms. (since new)I'm getting 28.5 mpg.I'm told to expect better mileage as the motor settles in.Has someone tried already the bio-diesel in their VW Transporter?Care to share the experience?

onefut

TDI
Shuttle 2.5 174psi
SNAP!!!!!

well ish
Ive got a t5 and a German Sheperd lol
only my T5 is a shuttle an me German sheherd is white
its fitted witht he 174 same as yours
I can fill her up at home an not need to fill again till i get to Bristol an drive around for a day an i live in the highlands of Scotland so its around a 600 mile trip
Great motor i love it