Intercooler pipe boost leaks

RStevenson

TDI
2006 Golf GLS
Hello experts. I have an 06 mk4 golf bew that's had boost issues since I bought it...replaces vacuum lines and two n75 actuators, got the doggie collar clamp, maf changed.
This morning I saw some oil dripping from the pancake pipe and thought there might be a lot of build up in the intercooler. After taking it off there was only about 1/4 cup or less and nothing in the pipe. But when I was taking the intercooler off I noticed there was a crazy amount of play in the pipe from the intercooler to the intake at the cooler side. I took a video.and some pictures. Could this be my problem?

video of the play in the pipe:
https://i.imgur.com/3RGiErW.mp4

pics of the connectors and the tabs:
https://imgur.com/a/yRGcfx5

Last edited:

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
Looks like the barbs are worn down. I had the same problem and ended up replacing the small hose between IC and plastic pipe. Boost came back with the new hose.

phaser

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta PD - 490k
Recently, I had the same issue. Worn barbs. Replaced all the hoses, and in addition to increased boost, I got a nice increase of 3.6 mpg.

Last edited:

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 Jetta GLS BEW, 14 Audi A7 V6 TDI, 13 Porsche Cayenne V6 TDI
You can install larger orings into most of the connections (I used napa 1108 thermostat orings for a dodge). They are extremely tight fitting - needed to be lubed and pressed into place. Once locked - not coming apart!

RStevenson

TDI
2006 Golf GLS
Update: I replaced both connectors on the top and bottom of the cooler, which I think solved my boost issue. SOME power is restored and no more limp mode, but I'm now getting a p0404 code for EGR and it seems like sometimes the car has power and sometimes it doesn't...