Engine Area Vibrating (Idle/Driving)

powerfool

Veteran Member
TDI
None anymore
We have recently developed this strong vibration in our Passat. It kind of sounds like it is a large diesel truck. It is only intermittent and I have not been able to determine the source. It is at the dealer and they haven't been able to reproduce. It definitely seems to be coming from the engine area. It happens at idle or driving. I have had the dreaded A/C issues and those have resurfaced for the 4th time (2nd since the official release from VW). I am beginning to regret not taking the buyback about this point. I have 93k miles and did get the extended warranty. I was hoping for this thing to be a 15-20 year car... now I am wondering if it is going to be possible to nurse it through 6-10 years.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
any codes, CEL? if not dealer is prob going to be clueless.

Can you determine the conditions when it sounds as such?

powerfool

Veteran Member
TDI
None anymore
No codes.

I was initially thinking it was happening while running the A/C, but my wife says that it did it once without running the A/C.

They weren't able to reproduce. We pick it back up today. I will see if I can reproduce and record it.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
At least they didn't tell you that there was a declining sinusidal wave causing a warble in the turbo encabulator.

That would be bad.

h.ubk

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Jetta TDI with 1Z Engine
Actually, that would probably be a better scenario as there are Youtube videos that deal with that exact issue. I have great confidence in the design and mechanations of the turbo encabulator and believe the issue could be better resolved.

h.ubk

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
yeah sure, not a problem if you have a bank roll equal to or greater than the King of the African nation of Zamunda.