BEW injector/ecu updates?

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
hey-Hey!!!,
Read a thread a bit ago about early BEW getting either an ecu or injector upgrade to deal with cold starting issues( I think ). I am a bit fuzzy on this, and so searching does not do me much good...LOL. Can any of youse give me a one-over description of what got updated on the early BEW's?
Thanks!
Douglas

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 1999.5 jettaIV,2005 BEW Beetle
Hey, Doug

Don't know of injector updates but...

VW finally ironed out the glow plug issue between 7 volt ceramic element glow plugs that were breaking off into the cylinder and metal ones that ran at 5 volts that proved to be too lame for the serious cold weather to which Ann Arbor can be susceptible.
They came up with a more stout, fast heating hybrid metal/ceramic element that works at 7 volts. Fuel quantities during start up were amended so as to not smoke out the neighborhood. (this might be a tuner added feature)
Any competent tuner should be able to do the update but you would need to get new updated glow plugs to get the full benefit. Rocketchip has a good program matched with a 1+ tune for a little kick in the pants passing power.

Glow plugs from Autozone or like chains (Champion 1116 or other 11 volt versions) are not acceptable. These are the favorite by NGK with the OEM part number N10591609:
https://www.idparts.com/glow-plug-7v-oem-ngk-ceramic-a4-bewbhw-p-2178.html

Last edited: