Another '06 Jetta shimmy (Upon acceleration)

EdVinDiesel

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Hi All -

I saw a similar thread, but my situation is a bit different. My '06 Jetta TDI has developed a pretty severe left-to-right shimmy upon acceleration. It is definitely most prominent when accelerating between 37-40 mph and again at around 70 mph.

So far the following have been replaced in an effort to eliminate the shimmy:

• drivers side axle assembly has been replaced
    Engine mounts
    Dogbone

The right/passenger side Axle was replaced about a year ago as well.

The mechanic is now saying that the subframe bushing is the issue. In all the forum reading I've done, it seems like the subframe symptoms seem to be more "clunking" rather than the severe left-to-right shimmy upon acceleration that I'm experiencing.

I lifted the car to check two things: I'm not sure how to check the subframe,
but I see absolutely no play in the subframe when trying to move by hand. I also checked the right side axle, as that seems to be a common culprit in vibration issues. The axle had a little play (~1/4") parallel with the axle, which i believe is normal to allow for steering, etc. the axle had no visible play perpendicular to the length of the axle, which I believe is the normal symptom of a bad axle.

Question - I'm losing faith in the mechanic, as we've already swapped out multiple things. Could the vibration be due to the subframe bushing? If so, can I do that job myself? they want $600 an 5 hrs labor. Or could it be something else? I'm not sure what how to diagnose further. Any guidance would be very much appreciated!

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 2005 BEW Beetle, 2005 Jetta Wagon
The axle should not be able to slide along its length at all.
The clip on the axle in the outer joint should hold the axle shaft to the joint. Maybe that is not happening or there may be something wrong with the outer joint. The axle will slide in and out of the inner CV joint to make up the difference in length when turning or with suspension movement but you should not be able to slide the axle back and forth.

Last edited:

EdVinDiesel

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Thanks so much for your response. I really appreciate it!
Just so I am perfectly clear, if I'm under the car near the inner CV that the axle should not slide at all? If that is true, I've found the issue.

I understand from reading other threads that idParts sells an axle that is more sturdy... Is that correct?

Thanks again for your guidance!

The axle should not be able to slide along its length at all.
The clip on the axle in the outer joint should hold the axle shaft to the joint. Maybe that is not happening or there may be something wrong with the outer joint. The axle will slide in and out of the inner CV joint to make up the difference in length when turning or with suspension movement but you should not be able to slide the axle back and forth.

kdawg89

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Golf DSG 06 Jetta (sold)
I can't say for sure but I would guess you would be able to move the axle in and out a little bit and have that be normal, the joints are designed to accommodate this. My best guess for your vibration would be control arm bushings. Most likely the rear position bushing.

EdVinDiesel

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Just a quick note to let everyone know that it was indeed a bad she on my passenger side. I replaced the passenger axle with a quality GKN axle from idParts. (EASY job!) Running smooth as silk now! Thanks for your support!

Er

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Thanks for reporting back with the fix.

To any reading, NEVER put Chaxles in your car. They are JUNK.