2001 new beetle tdi crank no start

Notasunbeam

TDI
2001 new beetle 1.9 tdi
Hello all. Newb here. I have a 2001 vw new beetle 1.9l tdi 5sp manual
Problem:
I stalled the engine myself, on an errand.. From then on, would crank but not start.
Codes: P1562 quantity adjuster limit reached,
P3130 glow plug circuit.
The glow plug one was explained by a disconnected glow plug. Glow plugs good and 12v at the Connectors.
When it cranks its not even trying to start. I checked the air shut off, its not stuck shut. Lotta gunk in there tho.
There isnt 12v to the fuel shut off solenoid with ignition on. It clicks open when I jumper to the battery.
Tried priming it. poored reg gas in the intake. , still cranked freely no start.
Glow plug and check engine light come on when ignition is switched on.. Should I check relay 109 anyway? next I was going to check valve timing. And possibly throttle?
Would there be related codes if it had jumped time? I would expect to
see something- crank pos sensor or something.
Any advice would be appreciated.

Notasunbeam

TDI
2001 new beetle 1.9 tdi
Update if anyone read this. Searched this site some more and found cases where
The QA stuck and stopped the car from starting so ill be checkin that out.considering the 1562 dtc I got.I had the impression that problem would just cause drivability issues not complete shutdown. Glad to have this resource. Thanks to all contributors.

Sent from my LML414DL using Tapatalk

Notasunbeam

TDI
2001 new beetle 1.9 tdi
Success! No one responded, but past discussions really helped. My QA was stuck. Took off the cover, gently worked it back and forth, reassembled and primed, fired right up. For now ill keep the tools on board in case it repeats.

tgray

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Beetle, '05 Golf, 2000 Jetta, 2001 Jetta, 2002 Jetta
did you say you put regular gas in the intake? Never do that to a diesel. Diesels need to start with injection from diesel fuel. Starting fluid will start them but may blow them up. If they don't start by normal cranking then you need to find out why. It sounds like you found the problem. Try running some diesel purge through the pump. It may help clear out some of the sticking problem a little better. When fuel gets old things can gum up pretty good inside the pump.

STDOUBT

Veteran Member
TDI
dos jettas
Nice work with the QA!
But I have a feeling there are lots more things that Beetle could use.
For example, there should be no gunk in your "air shut off" (ASV) anti-shudder valve.
I suspect your intake is pretty coked up.
How long have you had the car? Mileage?
How did the stall happen? Was it a gear shift 'oops'? If she just stalled on her own, that's
an ominous sign generally pointing to the timing belt, however, the QA freezing would do that too...
That car should last a good long time, but you gotta do the maintenance.
I get the impression you recently aquired the car and now have it running 'OK'.
If that's true, there is a big checklist of stuff you should do to it.
Welcome to TDI club!

Notasunbeam

TDI
2001 new beetle 1.9 tdi
did you say you put regular gas in the intake? Never do that to a diesel. Diesels need to start with injection from diesel fuel. Starting fluid will start them but may blow them up. If they don't start by normal cranking then you need to find out why. It sounds like you found the problem. Try running some diesel purge through the pump. It may help clear out some of the sticking problem a little better. When fuel gets old things can gum up pretty good inside the pump.
Thanks for the tip. Im familiar with how diesels function. And how using starting fluid or fuels hotter than diesel is frowned on.. But ive seen heavy equipment with mfg installed systems to give a shot of either on cold starts. Sometimes its neccessary.

Notasunbeam

TDI
2001 new beetle 1.9 tdi
Nice work with the QA!
But I have a feeling there are lots more things that Beetle could use.
For example, there should be no gunk in your "air shut off" (ASV) anti-shudder valve.
I suspect your intake is pretty coked up.
How long have you had the car? Mileage?
How did the stall happen? Was it a gear shift 'oops'? If she just stalled on her own, that's
an ominous sign generally pointing to the timing belt, however, the QA freezing would do that too...
That car should last a good long time, but you gotta do the maintenance.
I get the impression you recently aquired the car and now have it running 'OK'.
If that's true, there is a big checklist of stuff you should do to it.
Welcome to TDI club!
Thanks. Your feelings are cofirmed.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
In future, just as a preventative, run a can of diesel purge straight into the pump.