Volkswagen's Clean Air Act violations on 2009+ TDIs spark huge recall, investigations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lucidexp

Banned
TDI
2013 Jetta
how much worse have the affected tdi's been dropping compared to other fuel efficient vehicles are being effected by outside influences? i.e.. low fuel prices, longer term purchase loans and low financing rates. a quick google search shows that these factors have not been friendly to any high mpg cars.

https://www.cars.com/articles/value-of-fuel-efficient-cars-tank-amid-low-gas-prices-1420682551886/
The same website you used (cars.com) also did an article on the free fall of TDI values - https://www.cars.com/articles/used-vw-diesel-prices-continue-to-decline--1420682860308/

If you are a "proud" Jetta Sportwagon TDI owner like myself then in 2 1/2 months your car value dropped more than 10%. If that trend keeps up it will be one of the fastest depreciating car values ever.

we are blessed to own such fine cars

JDenyer232

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI S
I agree....aside from pleasing some competing auto manufacturers, a VW withdrawal or failure would not be a good thing for consumers, owners, dealers etc. That said, this is hardly a "mafia shakedown". EPA regulations (like any rules or laws) are in place for a reason. A lack of enforcement merely renders these rules/regs useless and without teeth. EPA, CARB, and Justice Department are doing their jobs exactly as intended. Your compulsion to rather "leave the cars alone" and use the fines for cause X, Y, or Z, while dreamy in cloud cuckoo land, is more akin to "mafia control" or dictatorship. I'm not denouncing VW or supporting them with this post....but I am living in the real world....a world where cause has effect. The outcome(s) that we are witnessing due to VW's actions are expected and nobody knew the potential outcomes from such actions better than the perpetrator. I can appreciate the VW loyalists sentiment....but I am somewhat surprised that even the most hardened loyalists don't have their hides just a bit more chapped concerning this VW matter.
Believe me my hide is chapped about this scandal, VW cheated and lied and should pay the price. What I have a problem with is what happens to that money. We all know it goes down a black hole never to be seen again. If the real goal is to improve air quality then use the money from the fine to actually reduce the annual nox inventory. Kind of like how the tobacco settlement money was supposed to help those that were sickened or wanted to quit, oh that's right what the lawyers didn't get was put into "general funds", never to be seen again. I agree that they must be punished for their actions or others will see fit to cheat. Although there are other automakers cheating on emissions and safety, they just haven't gotten caught yet. Oh well I guess we will see how this shakes out, will be interesting to see what gets uncovered when they switch to on road testing for other manufacturers. Something tells me this is but the first of many scandals. Until then I'm just gonna drive and enjoy my TDI, after all the government certified it, it's got a sticker under the hood to prove it:D

S2000_guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Sportwagen TDI
The EPA does nothing for me. VW helps take my kids to school, provides US jobs, a good product, and provides fun to drive. What does the EPA or CARB do for anybody ?
1. The Cuyahoga River hasn't caught fire lately.
2. The air quality in US cities today isn't like Beijing; it was never that bad in the bad old days (good old days to those who oppose the Clean Air Act regulations) but it was bad then and would have gotten worse over the years because of growth.
3. I haven't read of any new incidents that compare with Love Canal or Times Beach recently.
4. Mercury emissions from powerplants has been greatly reduced.
5. Acid rain is not as prevalent as it once was.

But I guess none of these are of any benefit to your or your children.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
1. The Cuyahoga River hasn't caught fire lately.
2. The air quality in US cities today isn't like Beijing; it was never that bad in the bad old days (good old days to those who oppose the Clean Air Act regulations) but it was bad then and would have gotten worse over the years because of growth.
3. I haven't read of any new incidents that compare with Love Canal or Times Beach recently.
4. Mercury emissions from powerplants has been greatly reduced.
5. Acid rain is not as prevalent as it once was.

But I guess none of these are of any benefit to your or your children.
You must have missed the Animas River incident last August.

Lucidexp

Banned
TDI
2013 Jetta
You must have missed the Animas River incident last August.
The EPA didnt create the potentially toxic heavy metals that were flowing down the river did they? I mean did VW created the NOX but the EPA didn't create the toxic sludge - they were trying to clean it up.

we are blessed to own such fine cars

Last edited:

SageBrush

Veteran Member
TDI
None
how much worse have the affected tdi's been dropping compared to other fuel efficient vehicles are being effected by outside influences? i.e.. low fuel prices, longer term purchase loans and low financing rates. a quick google search shows that these factors have not been friendly to any high mpg cars.
https://www.cars.com/articles/value-of-fuel-efficient-cars-tank-amid-low-gas-prices-1420682551886/
Yep, this is the way to sort out the hit in value from low fuel prices Vs dieselgate, although I would have picked a stable of hybrids and small fuel efficient compacts rather than *eVs.

*eVs were in the midst of an anticipated correction in sales after the bleeding edge adoption wave had waned, so it has its own confounding variables.

mjhandy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Touareg TDI

SageBrush

Veteran Member
TDI
None
What about the vast majority of owners who haven't done anything illegal to their cars? I know that I've done nothing wrong, other than buying in good faith a vehicle certified by the US government that didn't in fact meet the standards.
I am sorry that you would then suffer from other owners criminal behavior. This is why I think a graded fine against VW for non-compliance with the fix is appropriate. If only one a**hat continues to pollute then the group effect is minor. If the fraction is larger then VW's penalty grows, as does the effect on the entire owner group.

But take this thread as an example. For every owner who proudly posts that they are going to avoid the fix or 'tune' the car, how many other owners call them out ? I stopped reading every post after #500 or so, but my count stands at zero.

And while I am ranting about anti-social a**hats, I can only hope that some of the collected fines are spent in walloping the 'tuner' businesses.

SageBrush

Veteran Member
TDI
None
WOW, it's amazing when a company as big as VW that represents a serious chunk of Germany's total commerce gets the cold shoulder from their government

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/german-politicians-fear-hefty-u-145350570.html
Funny, I read the article pretty much opposite of you -- that the German politicos are trying to help VW get through dieselgate with the minimum of harm.

Not surprising. Any politico that can be painted as a job killer is going to have a short career.

SageBrush

Veteran Member
TDI
None
I haven't seen any discussion here yet on the possible effect of a Republican presidency on the VW future fines. It seems to me likely that VW will be able to drag its feet and/or appeal EPA fines past the election. And then I can well imagine a R president letting them off the hook as part of an EPA gutting.

This line of reasoning is way too speculative for my investor appetite, but perhaps not for others ?

TwinWagons

TDI
2 x 2014 Sportwagons
Oops... VW might have an issue - Theoretically, that could leave VW with penalties of as much as $80 billion

http://www.bloomberg.com/gadfly/art...der-to-value-as-justice-department-files-suit
we are blessed to own such fine cars.
If the justice department really demanded that, then VW would sigh about its lost Porsche Audi profits and wave Buh-Bye to the US market.

30,000 auto factory and dealer jobs would go pphhhtt!! and the owners of several million Porsche, Audi and Volkswagen gas (and diesel) orphan cars would lose lots of money. All of those people vote and have friends and families who vote.

Many of those high mileage vw's (gas and diesel) would be scrapped early (hard to get parts and service) and be replaced by low mileage cute utes.

Republicans in congress would have a field day condemning the Democrat controlled executive branch for wrecking the economy and damaging the environment through counter-productive bureaucratic over-regulation.

Lucidexp

Banned
TDI
2013 Jetta
If the justice department really demanded that, then VW would sigh about its lost Porsche Audi profits and wave Buh-Bye to the US market.

30,000 auto factory and dealer jobs would go pphhhtt!! and the owners of several million Porsche, Audi and Volkswagen gas (and diesel) orphan cars would lose lots of money. All of those people vote and have friends and families who vote.

Many of those high mileage vw's (gas and diesel) would be scrapped early (hard to get parts and service) and be replaced by low mileage cute utes.

Republicans in congress would have a field day condemning the Democrat controlled executive branch for wrecking the economy and damaging the environment through counter-productive bureaucratic over-regulation.
If VW pulled out of the US market all together it would mean they would lose the trust of not just the US market but of a large portion of the global market all together.

As for the "counter-productive bureaucratic over-regulation" the rules were in place for some time and seeing how we now have one party in control of the president and another in control of the senate (where bills become laws) and the R's are doing almost as much as the D's on this issue (meaning not doing anything) I can't see one political party getting the blame for a foreign company lying about following the rules of commerce.

SageBrush

Veteran Member
TDI
None
30,000 auto factory and dealer jobs would go pphhhtt!!
You should read the German press coverage of common sentiment in Germany. They are sure that the EPA actions are thinly veiled actions to help US car manufactures and the US economy.

The honest answer of who benefits and who loses is somewhere in the middle and mostly unknown. It depends how the zero sum game of car buying sorts out. E.g, Will a past TDI owner switch to Ford ? Or to GM in Europe ? If this forum is a decent reflection of the larger US TDI owner group (I have my doubts,) then the beneficiaries will be VW, other German makes, Mazda and Subaru.

Last edited:

GlennGlenn

TDI
Formerly Passat

I don't believe that the voters have much say in this debacle. Its going to be the Courts and the Court of Public Opinion that truly matters. VW allegedly pulling out of the US would certainly NOT wreck the US economy. In fact, somewhere in Detroit, there's executives licking their chops at the prospect of VW pulling out OR having to pay billions. Note too that all of what was done was uninsured (fraud/concealment etc.) so it looks like Vee Dub is on its own.

GlennGlenn

TDI
Formerly Passat
You should read the German press coverage of common sentiment in Germany. They are sure that the EPA actions are thinly veiled actions to help US car manufactures and the US economy.

The honest answer of who benefits and who loses is somewhere in the middle and mostly unknown. It depends how the zero sum game of car buying sorts out. E.g, Will a past TDI owner switch to Ford ? Or to GM in Europe ?
I don't know about EU, BUT I'd certainly look at the alternatives of the Cruze CTD and or the Mazda 6 Diesel when (IF) it gets here.

TwinWagons

TDI
2 x 2014 Sportwagons
If VW pulled out of the US market all together it would mean they would lose the trust of not just the US market but of a large portion of the global market all together.

As for the "counter-productive bureaucratic over-regulation" the rules were in place for some time and seeing how we now have one party in control of the president and another in control of the senate (where bills become laws) and the R's are doing almost as much as the D's on this issue (meaning not doing anything) I can't see one political party getting the blame for a foreign company lying about following the rules of commerce.
An $80 Billion dollar "fine" for this particular crime is a lot like shooting someone for jaywalking. The Democrats would have placed themselves in the shoes of the shooter.

It's nonsense. Proposing it as a possible outcome is nonsense.

If the fine for this is $80 Billion then what do GM and Takata each owe for their airbag and ignition key cover-ups? $250 Billion?

ray96disco

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen
Yep, they've discussed it before. Although this time around they seem to have had a lot invested in increasing sales in this country... and it was working, until this Failboat set sail.
I wonder, with Piech gone, will their focus on world domination over Toyota etal continue?

US sales are a very small part of the pie that is the Volkswagen Group. China has smoked past us a long time ago, even for Audi sales. They could stop selling cars here tomorrow and it would barely be a blip on their radar. Which goes to show you just how many cars they sell in the rest of the world that the single largest market would not effect them much.

But I don't think that will happen. While it was expected to happen in the early '90s, following suit with what had happened with Fiat, Renault (who are both giant companies, alive and well today, and pulling the strings at Chrysler and Nissan, respectively) things are very different today.

But to the greater issue, is that they have also done this chicanery in other markets... mainly their EU customers and countries. So whatever they have to do here will likely also be something similar abroad. And given that the global standards are coming closer together on this, pulling out of this market really wouldn't make any sense. It also seems that, despite the tiny number of cars sold here, the US is making a much bigger deal about this than anyone else is... which is of no surprise to me. :rolleyes:
I think you're right. Some dealers don't have to sell one new car to make a profit. They also have the profit centers of parts and service, as well as used cars. At one point, a Mercedes Benz dealer in town didn't have to sell one car, new or used, to turn a profit because parts and service had such a high margin.

Most have to sell some but remember in the early 90's when VW didn't import for a year because their cars were such crap and they couldn't sell the previous year's models? I don't know how well they fared but we didn't lose one dealer in San Antonio. Too big of a machine to walk away.

Lucidexp

Banned
TDI
2013 Jetta
An $80 Billion dollar "fine" for this particular crime is a lot like shooting someone for jaywalking. The Democrats would have placed themselves in the shoes of the shooter.

It's nonsense. Proposing it as a possible outcome is nonsense.

If the fine for this is $80 Billion then what do GM and Takata each owe for their airbag and ignition key cover-ups? $250 Billion?
Um, the dems aren't suing VW I believe that is the US Dept of Justice and the EPA. Lets not forget that the current EPA regulations have been in place for several years while we have had a republican congress so its not like the GOP is helping or hurting VW just like the Dems.

I believe GM came forward with the issue (as opposed to denying it) had a solutions in a matter of weeks (not dragging their feet for months) and implemented the fix as soon as possible. These are things that VW has not done. Also note that an air bag affects the driver, the exhaust of a car affects everyone around the car.

MichaelK_DC

TDI
VW Golf MK VI 2013
Reverse engineering the ECU (Dieselgate)

This is a great explanation (video) of the internal business processes of VW production (first half) and reverse engineering of the ECU to show what is done to change the emission controls.
The analysis is done on a German model with AdBlue but the reverse engineering methods are quite interesting and informative.
http://50.21.181.236/congress/2015/...ust_emissions_scandal_Dieselgate_webm-hd.webm

SageBrush

Veteran Member
TDI
None
TW, I understand your reasoning (and agree with it fwiw,) but one big difference here is that the penalty for non-compliance was *already* set before VW cheated. The other big difference is the VW decided to flaunt US law.

It's like the difference between Capone killing someone in Chicago Vs not paying his taxes. The IRS ends up carrying up a much bigger stick. As does the EPA.

SageBrush

Veteran Member
TDI
None
I believe GM came forward with the issue (as opposed to denying it) had a solutions in a matter of weeks (not dragging their feet for months) and implemented the fix as soon as possible.
Not even close.

GM got off really lightly because it is a "US" company, in the same way that VW got off very lightly in Germany. Perhaps the average will work out.

Last edited:

ray96disco

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen
The other problem with VW leaving the North American market is the class action lawsuit(s) filed by attorneys for the dealerships and anyone else thinking they can siphon off a little dough for themselves.

They can't afford to leave, even if they weren't sued by dealers and even if they have to pay a bigass fine and even if the cost is high to fix the cars. Too much profit here.

Status
Not open for further replies.