1000 Mile Update

TDICT

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW...SOLD..2012 Passat TDI SEL Black on Black...Now Here
82,000 miles and still looks, handles and rides as it did on day one. Front hood, grill and windshield are a little sand blasted thanks to New England winter road sand.

No issues except a few light bulbs. Was going for a 2015 but since no changes I decided to wait for the 2016 and see what the face lift looks like.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S

Crossed 60,000 miles on the way to work this morning.

Things that have been replaced so far:
-Both front wheel bearings, under warranty
-The battery

Other than that nothing else on the car has required attention outside of normal PM (which IMO tires fall under).

-J

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
How time flies.

I'm very conflicted right now. I love the car still. It was the first new car I've ever gotten, and it's been very reliable for us.

However, with VW waving so much money in our face I think we'll be parking it till October and turning it back in. :( I'd love to do the fix... but in that case we only get $5000 and one screw up after the short 18k mile warranty will wipe that out.

There are only 2 problems with the car right now... the adblue temp sensor failed last year (and is why the CEL is on), and it has a battery drain still. The Michelin tires we put on at 40k are 2/3 worn and still quiet and smooth.

-J

LeeM

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE, 2002 Jetta Reflex Silver
From the Department of Justice, note the last paragraph. You will have a minimum of a 4 year/ 48,000 warranty.

Case 3:15-md-02672-CRB Document 1605-1 Filed 06/28/16 Page 107 of 225
APPENDIX B TO
PARTIAL CONSENT DECREE
MDL No. 2672 CRB (JSC)
Warranty shall cover the following parts, as further specified in the applicable Extended Emissions Warranty Parts Coverage List submitted by Settling Defendants with each Emissions Modification Proposal, as further described in subparagraph 4.3.10:
i. The entire exhaust after treatment system including the DOC, the SCR catalyst (if applicable), the dosing injector and other DEF system components (if applicable), the NOx Trap (if applicable), all sensors and actuators, and the exhaust flap;
ii. The entire fuel system, including the fuel pumps, high pressure common rail, fuel injectors, and all sensors and actuators;
iii. EGR system including the EGR valve, EGR cooler, EGR filter, all related hoses and pipes, and all sensors and actuators;
iv. The turbocharger;
v. The OBD System and any malfunctions detected by the OBD systems other than those related to the transmission; and
vi. The DPF.
The Extended Emissions Warranty shall cover each and every DPF that has failed as a result of implementing any Approved Emissions Modification. If Settling Defendants can demonstrate to the satisfaction of EPA/CARB in a Proposed Emissions Modification that Settling Defendants’ dealers can adequately distinguish between a DPF that has reached the maximum ash load and needs to be replaced as part of normal maintenance and a DPF that has failed as a result of implementing such Approved Emissions Modification, then the Extended Emissions Warranty applicable to such Approved Emissions Modification does not need to cover DPFs that need replacement as part of normal maintenance. I f Settling Defendants fail to make this demonstration then the Extended Emissions Warranty must cover each and every DPF.
The Engine Long Block warranty must cover the engine sub-assembly that consists of the assembled block, crankshaft, cylinder head, camshaft, and valve train.
The warranty period for the Extended Emissions Warranty shall be both:
i. For Generation 1 and 2, 10 years or 120,000 actual miles whichever comes first; for Generation 3, 10 years or 150,000 actual miles whichever comes first; and
ii. 4 years or 48,000 miles, whichever comes first, from date and mileage of implementing the Emissions Modification, except for vehicles offered for resale, in which case, from the date and mileage of the first resale transaction after the modification to the first person who in good faith purchases the vehicle for purposes other than resale.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Time does fly. Seems like last year you bought those tires after the Detroit show. Guess it wasn't.

Question is, if you turn it back in what would you replace it with? I don't think a Smart electric will fill all your needs. Of course you can just drive the A4 again. That's what I'm doing.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Time does fly. Seems like last year you bought those tires after the Detroit show. Guess it wasn't.

Question is, if you turn it back in what would you replace it with? I don't think a Smart electric will fill all your needs. Of course you can just drive the A4 again. That's what I'm doing.
We have a Tesla Model 3 on order. We also have the Touareg (more of a toy/collector than anything), the Mk4 Jetta, which is doing pretty well, and the 350SDL that Jason just did a bunch of work to.

The Passat has been a great car, but I'm skeptical of its long term value. By the time we need to make a firm buyback decision, it'll be out of the turbo warranty, out of the heater core warranty, will need a timing belt, and will have a dual mass flywheel that might need attention. Also, the Tesla should be ready by that time... so it feels like the planets are aligning for the buyback.

I guess we'll see... perhaps the "fix" is reasonable and we decide to keep it. At this point, that isn't looking likely, but you never know.

By the way, those Michelin MXV4 tires that are on the Passat are fantastic! Great all-around tires.