4Runner TDI swap

Spulen81

Veteran Member
I have about 1" clearance from the pan to the diff. I do have a 2" body lift done for this very reason. I could have modified the oil pan but I didn't want to get into that.

RabbitGTDJoe

Veteran Member
TDI
1981 Rabbit GTD (future TDI)
Ryan... VERY NICE!!! Good to see even more pics of it there! Very nice install. I got to see this in person and it an excellent fit and he has done a great job with bracketry, etc... Innovative would be the key word I guess! I'd love to see it again here this winter and here it run...maybe even go for a ride!!!

Very nice...again!!!

Joe

defuzer

TDI
N/A
Would normal ECU mods, turbo, etc. work on a setup like this. The gen 1 4-runner is my favorite SUV, and I will be getting another soon.

Reading as much as I can on the VW's at the moment, please excuse ignorance in question.

Spulen81

Veteran Member
Thanks Joe, anytime your around town let me know.

Defuzer, yup you can do anything you would on a regular TDI car. Actually with the programming out there it can make things even easier. Some of the turbo options might be tricky due to the starter causing some clearance issues. I think the later VNT turbos would fit alittle better actually but I haven't confirmed that yet.

RoundHouse

Veteran Member
joshgb said:
I love it...I've been looking for something more rugged to swap a tdi into for a long time but a 4runner never occurred to me. I can't see whether it you have a stick or an auto but how much work was involved in mate-up with the clutch/torque converter? How about engine mounts and whatnot? Was your intercooler swap-out a fit issue?
Also what comes with an acme kit...where do I find more information about them?
Keep us posted!
The 2nd gen 4Runners, 90-95 are super cheap because the V-6's blow head gaskets all the time.

You can buy em all day long for $200-1200 depending on how nice the rest of the truck is.

Most of them are automatics though. 5 speed V-6s are really hard to find, although converting it to a 5 speed isnt too hard.

Spulen81

Veteran Member
I still don't know, I've had some health issues in the last month and haven't been able to work on it or drive it since..

kirmet

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta Galactic Blue
That sucks I hope you aren't off too bad. get well:)

highflyin250x

TDI
samurai 1.6 n/a
i was wondering if you knew which toyota tranny's that will bolt up using the acme kit. I will be buying on of their kits soon for my samurai, but i also want to build a car and i was thinking if i could get my hands on and old rear wheel drive corolla and try a swap into that. i dont know what all would go into this swap yet, but i am looking into it

Spulen81

Veteran Member
Basically any trans that had a 4 cylinder truck engine with it will work. I'm not sure about the 4 cylinder car engines.. Just remember that ACME makes one adapter for the Toyota trans and one for Suzuki trans.

highflyin250x

TDI
samurai 1.6 n/a
yeah i was just wondering if you knew anything more about applications, the guy swapping the volvo wagon says he is using a supra trans

slowtoyota

I think the acme kit will convert w, g and r series transmissions from 4cyl trucks. The W56, found behind 22re 4x4s and W58, found in mid 80s celicas and gen 2 and 3 N/A supras , are pretty similar. I think the bellhousing interface is exactly the same. The bellhousing on the supra will be different than the truck, you probably want the one from the celica or the bellhousing from a W56.

The r series trannies are stronger. But there is a difference in input shaft length between the 2wd and 4x4 trannys that may cause problems. The 2wd application is the turbo supra, 1986+. The only 4 cyl 4x4 r transmission is the r151, came behind the turbo 22re.

Spulen81

Veteran Member
I always meant to update this thread and I never did. The first thing you have to do is read up as much as you can especially on the engine portion. Different swaps require different things but researching other peoples conversions is a good way to start. Make sure you feel comfortable with every aspect of it.

I would stick with a TDI engine in this truck. You can do it on a budget if you shop around. The adapter kits make fitting the engine and trans easy. You have to fabricate your own engine mounts or farm this out. Don't forget about the custom exhaust system you will need, all the cooling, plumbing and stuff also. If you can't do this yourself it will cost you unless you have handy friends with tools.
There are also clearance issues with the firewall and the front diff. I did a body lift and drivetrain lift to fix this, there are other ways to do it though.

I've had numerous little things come up, mostly fluid leaks, nothing major. I did hurt reverse smashing through a snowbank, but that was user error, haha.

Wheeler

TDI
06 jetta tdi brm
Deisle toyz for the love of god and the Wheeling community please make a kit for 84-89 trucks and 4runners. Most guys 4x4 with the older trucks and would love to do a swap like this in stead of a v8, from what I under stand an ALH with a vnt 17 stage 3 kit can give you around 360 ft/lbs of torque which is about 55 ft/lbs more than a new Chev v8 not to mention the weight difference. I'm running 35" boggers on my 85 4runner but that's about all my built 22re can handle, with this swap and stage 3 kit I could finally run 38"-40" tires.

Dieseltoys

Vendor
TDI
Toyota Diesel
Hehe...alright people. We are in the works for a kit but dont like telling people we have something we dont. We DO have complete wiring harnesses available for the ALH TDI. With these, you could install a ALH into a lawn mower and not get a CEL. If you're just aching to get your paws on one of these, PM me for prices. The main problems we are facing with the TDI is the clearance of the starter to the turbo. Too much heat buildup...

e*clipse

Veteran Member
TDI
Toyota TDI swap
Nice Job!

Nice clean conversion!

Good to see there's so much room in the engine bay.

Do you have any pics of the motor mounts? The BMW mounts seem like a good idea.

Also, how big is the intercooler's fin area? Does it have any problems with heat saturation?

Spulen81

Veteran Member
I will try to locate some mount pics for you.. I've had no heat soak issues yet. Its only been in the 80s here so far so its tough to tell yet. Not sure on the dimensions, its similar in size to a stock IC. It is pretty small but it gets really good airflow and its a efficient unit.

alphaseinor

TDI Innovator, Gone but Not Forgotten
TDI
'03 Jetta TDI 780,000 miles (totaled out), 01 Audi TT 225 Quattro 230,000 Miles (runs great!), 00 Cabreetle Beetle dash, ALH & MK4 harness Swap
How is your mileage?

How is your health?

Spulen81

Veteran Member
My health is great now, Thanks! I finally got to finish up the truck (mostly).
I'm getting a consistent 29-30mpg with mixed driving. I'm driving about 350 miles a week now. This is with stock gears and 32" tires, not taking it easy at all. I think my mileage will improve when/if I re gear it.

edit: it has PP764s too.

Last edited:

RoundHouse

Veteran Member
Glad to hear you're better.

Post up some detailed pics soon.

I picked up a very nice 95 4Runner with a blown V-6 for next to nothing.

Would love to be able to drive it at 30~ mpg.
My Yukon gets 11.5 mpg, and feel like a grandfather driving a bloated 5000 lb 4wd oldsmobile.

alphaseinor

TDI Innovator, Gone but Not Forgotten
TDI
'03 Jetta TDI 780,000 miles (totaled out), 01 Audi TT 225 Quattro 230,000 Miles (runs great!), 00 Cabreetle Beetle dash, ALH & MK4 harness Swap
I love it! Makes me wish I kept my '87 Turbo Truck...

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
Spulen81 said:
Nice swap but the starter placement looks like its right under the turbo manifold and that would make an ALH swap impossible unless a custom turbo/manifold was used.

Nice swap

RoundHouse

Veteran Member
I noticed you have the A/C hoses capped.

Will the VW A/C compressor fit?

I already have enough vehicles with no a/c.

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
RoundHouse said:
I noticed you have the A/C hoses capped.

Will the VW A/C compressor fit?

I already have enough vehicles with no a/c.
a/c hoses can be customized. In this area there is one shop that everybody reccomended. I went there last week and paid $150 and I will have my a/c blowing cool this weekend